Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
only 3 months to go
27 July 2013, 11:11,
RE: only 3 months to go
what if with all the council cutbacks grit/gritting lorrys go they only seem to have one use for a few months of the year .
in my mind i only seem to worry about the local library closing down but theirs loads of services that may be hit dog warden , fire stations , street lighting all sorts .
small villages and people in rural areas may have no option but to group together in the years to come
Survive the jive (youtube )
27 July 2013, 11:39,
where I live there is very little the council does, I know we have a dog warden but I have never seen them, traffic warden turned up yesterday, first time I've seen him in 4 years...gave me a parking ticket!! no library here nearest is 8 miles away and they seem to be part time opening, there is a community centre which we don't use, and that's probably about it, so if we lost all the above I don't think that many people would actually notice!!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 July 2013, 21:15,
Apart from the bin service, we dont get a lot done either, we do have a mobile library that parks outside our house every Tuesday for 15 mins,.. for everything else its only in Fort William,.. we never get the road side cut, and rarely see a snow plough,...although after saying that, they were quiet good with the gritting last winter
A major part of survival is invisibility.
28 July 2013, 05:27,
(26 July 2013, 17:36)Highlander Wrote: Monty,.... its almost refreshing to hear that its not just this country, I didn't expect it from your part of the world,...

I am fairly sure that I wouldn't see whining people here for lack of food or fuel, just sheeple complaining for the sake of it

To be honest, the sheeple syndrome is an urban thing. I think it is a world wide urban problem.

We folk on my little road do not expect any help and we are generally not disappointed. We are a community of hobby farmers and most are simply waiting for the first snowflake so they can play with their "toys", as in small tractors and 4x4 ATV type toys.

Most everyone has a year of fuel on hand when the first frost arrives, be it oil, propane or wood.

The folks we have to watch out for are the newbies (sheeple) moving here from the city. You can always spot them, they are the ones keeping the road hot making trips to town 4-5 times daily! Next thing you hear is they can no longer afford fuel and can not imagine how we have lived this far from civilization for so long without going broke!

We shop for everything in one trip and make one trip to town each week. If we forget it we do without until the next trip.

They also call the local police for EVERY thump in the night or wild animal sighting. What the hell!! We live in the woods and the police in our area simply do not respond for these problems. The newcomers feel they are being mistreated due to lack of attention.

I had new urban transplants move in a couple of years back and the first time I touched a 12guage off at a coyote in the back yard you would have thought their house was exploding people! I would swear people shot out of the windows, doors and stand pipes. Surely disaster was upon them and death and destruction imminent! Mouths open, eyes wide and terror on their faces. They were certain they had moved to the land of the insane, except for the 90 year old granny who grew up on a farm.

Latter that week they saw another coyote and called the police. They are still waiting for a response to their call.

I must say they have gotten smarter as the months have passed. Still a bit flakey, but improving.
28 July 2013, 10:16,
Wow! Council gritting lorries! What are they?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
28 July 2013, 16:31,
the new gritting lorrys do just one thing , remember a few years back a flat bed truck 2/3 guys in the back shoveling grit off the back and you could use the truck and the guys for the rest of the year .
i wonder how much of our money one of those are to buy keep up and stored for a few days work a year Huh
Survive the jive (youtube )