Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick clay oven build
29 July 2013, 14:50, (This post was last modified: 29 July 2013, 15:00 by The Klampits.)
RE: Quick clay oven build
undefined

undefined
29 July 2013, 19:00,
I have built several clay ovens at historic sites.

We used traditional methods without using traditional materials.

Wattle and daub construction works very well.

Form a beehive framework using saplings. We normally built a platform at counter height, for comfort, and built the beehive on top.

We then mixed a slurry of the cheapest "kitty litter" (no chemicals please) we could find into a clay slurry.

We smeared the clay over the outside and inside of the structure in increasingly thick layers until 3"-4" thick and let dry.

It will take forever (weeks) to get completely dry, and most people never wait that long.

As it dries, if cracks form just mud them over and seal them up. Do the same after use as general maintenance.

Fire it up, keep it burning until it nearly glows, sweep out the coals, and bake your goodies. If it is a big oven, say 4 feet diameter, you can bake in it all morning on a single fireing.

(Welcome to how man discovered pottery!)

I have also used the kitty litter clay as fire clay for building forges.
29 July 2013, 20:48, (This post was last modified: 29 July 2013, 21:14 by uks.)
New or used kitty litter?.

Will started dug out the foundations and fill with cement footing then it throw it down got it well covered over.
Failure is NOT an option
29 July 2013, 22:14, (This post was last modified: 29 July 2013, 22:20 by Grumpy Grandpa.)
(29 July 2013, 14:50)The Klampits Wrote: undefined

undefined

Again?? AngryAngryAngry

(29 July 2013, 19:00)Mortblanc Wrote: We then mixed a slurry of the cheapest "kitty litter" (no chemicals please) we could find into a clay slurry.

Interesting tip that. I don't suppose there's any need to do a price comparison...?

Big Grin Just had a wee mental picture of someone using paper based litter. Wonder how long a papier mache oven would last? Big Grin

30 July 2013, 00:31,
(29 July 2013, 22:14)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote:
(29 July 2013, 14:50)The Klampits Wrote: undefined

undefined

Again?? AngryAngryAngry

(29 July 2013, 19:00)Mortblanc Wrote: We then mixed a slurry of the cheapest "kitty litter" (no chemicals please) we could find into a clay slurry.

Interesting tip that. I don't suppose there's any need to do a price comparison...?

Big Grin Just had a wee mental picture of someone using paper based litter. Wonder how long a papier mache oven would last? Big Grin

Over here the cheap kitty litter is made from clay. We can get it in 50 pound bags at Walmart for just a few dollars a bag.

It can be used like "Instant Clay", just add water and stir.
30 July 2013, 09:46,
Or another way I thought of was to build a clay fire pit on the side and use my Dutch ovens.
Failure is NOT an option
1 August 2013, 08:58,
Decided to incorporate the clay oven with a covered outside kitchen, with a stone work top.
Failure is NOT an option
1 August 2013, 15:40,
When my late wife was alive we often camped for 2 weeks at a stretch and one of her close friends was a gormet cook. Our camps often had cooking contests and the two of them would enter goodies. Usually it meant cooking for an entire day over the open fire.

I wound up digging some very elaborate fire pits for those two. Often the trench was 6 feet long and there would be a round hole on each end for the dutch ovens. A shovel of coals in the bottom, the cast iron oven sit in and another shovel of coals on top. It worked well enough for small items that would fit inside the cast iron cookware.

If one is going to build a clay oven my experiences have been that it is best to go as large as possible in your situation. The big oven allows large items to be cooked or several items at a time. A large oven also holds its heat longer and maintains a steady temp.

Fire it up once and cook bread for the week, roast some meat and while it is still hot put in a pot of beans. It is not something one uses every day like our easy on/off devices in the kitchen.

We once coated a whole turkey, feathers and all, with clay and placed it in a hole, covered it with dirt and built a fire on top of it. We kept the fire going for about 5 hours and dug up the bird.

We had to crack the clay coating from it, which also took off the feathers and skin, leaving a clean well coked bird.
1 August 2013, 19:21,
(1 August 2013, 15:40)Mortblanc Wrote: We once coated a whole turkey, feathers and all, with clay and placed it in a hole, covered it with dirt and built a fire on top of it. We kept the fire going for about 5 hours and dug up the bird.

We had to crack the clay coating from it, which also took off the feathers and skin, leaving a clean well coked bird.

I read somewhere you can do the same with Hedgehog. The clay takes all the spikes with it.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
1 August 2013, 20:17,
(1 August 2013, 15:40)Mortblanc Wrote: leaving a clean well coked bird.

Sometimes the typos just fit.