Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just out of interest
25 August 2013, 20:22,
RE: Just out of interest
@NR

Are you really SURE it is fiction?

Are you absolutely CERTAIN?

because if you are, I would suggest that it is as much a faith statement as anything else.

Allons-y
25 August 2013, 22:51,
Prepping was the Wife's idea.

I just wanted enough in so I didn't have to wander off to the shops everyday.
Sodomi Non Sapiens.
26 August 2013, 00:13,
(25 August 2013, 16:39)NorthernRaider Wrote: Dunno why we should have any trust in fictional books cept as studying scenarios.?

The earth has a population of just over 7 billion. Around 84% of those people have a religion.

If I wanted to bend some one to my will, religion seems a decent tool to use.

Remember, should TSHTF, people will want to know they will be cared for (in that they can exist with others) today, tomorrow, next year and in x years. If people believe in some form of esotericism, life can be lost, but hope never will be.

Unless you want to exist on your own - and I mean, truly, on your own, with no others - then if some one has a faith, accept it, let them get on with it. You do not have to follow their beliefs, rituals and practices, just let them know that as long as they are peaceable, they are no threat to you.
26 August 2013, 08:26,
the trouble is religion, ANY religion, has been the cause of wars throughout history, the "my religion is better than yours" or even " my religion is the only true religion", I want nothing to do with it, nor do I want to be "saved".
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 August 2013, 00:46,
My misses call me weird and laughs at me for my preps and when I talk about the "worse case scenario".but on the other hand she does help and contribute with the cause.
27 August 2013, 01:12,
(24 August 2013, 21:09)Bonnox Wrote: Just wondered reading through posts there seems to be a fair few people on here that have significant others, how did people broach the subject of prepping, to explain to their other half how and why, and how did you get them to 'go along' with it ?
Jus cos I'm fairly new to the prepping scene and haven't really discussed it in any great detail with the wife, and I'm not sure how to

It's not a record but it still amazes me how quickly threads go off course. Just nine posts that time!

For me Bonnox, I've been aware of the need to prep for a very short time; my Forum joining date is when I first had my eyes opened. I'm disabled and my days were often spent in a hospital bed in what used to be our dining room, getting out infrequently and watching more television than was good for me! When I came across SUK and began to actually think, I of course, mentioned that to my wife. Her response was to believe that hubby had found a hobby to occupy himself and she said, "That's fine but it's your thing, not mine." I have continued to mention little things, such as power cuts we've experienced in the past and being unable to cook or have heat in the home and the things we could have done to be ready for those. On that scale, things make sense, so I'd recommend that you start that way. After all, TEOTWAWKI is what we seem to talk about all the time on the Forum but it's the most remote of possibilities, although it will have the highest impact. Lesser events, with lesser impacts, are far more likely occur and the 'what-if's' for those can be more easily raised in conversation and justified. If I were you, that's where I would start; the larger things can follow if they may.

Just out of interest, my wife recently met with some friends I've made through SUK and was far from being put off, seeing and understanding that they are perfectly normal people but those who also consider thinking ahead to 'what-ifs'. She's coming round (I think Smile)

27 August 2013, 08:57, (This post was last modified: 27 August 2013, 08:58 by Highlander.)
We really got to talk to our son on this matter a couple of weeks ago, up until that point all that they were aware of was that we had a `bit` of food stored for a rainy day.

This time we set about putting the cards on the table and showing him much of the level we have attained

The reaction we got, was a laugh,.. `why have you got that`,.. another laugh `but you can do this I cant`,.. more laughs,.... every excuse under the sun mixed in with plenty more laughing, so now we are officially the nutty pair.

However, his partner was far more understanding, apart from saying that every extra tin she could buy would be eaten within a couple of days by the said son,..she at least understood why we do what we do, so there is a slight glimmer of hope there

Our daughter is a little more understanding, and even has a small store,.. but her man is not on board,... its hard to come out on top with some people
A major part of survival is invisibility.
27 August 2013, 12:26,
HL,

I've included my kids in my plans, even if they only contribute with knowing smiles. They follow the OPSEC rules though and they know where to come if anything happens. They won't bring much, if anything, but I have prepped for them. My daughter is picking up some habits. I get her to buy some basics while she is out shopping for my stores so she does a lot of the work. She may not prep but she doesn't run out of things and it is usually people coming around looking to cadge things. She's getting a bit fed up of that from people so is increasing her OPSEC already by now saying. I don't have any or I ran out of that. She is learning.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
27 August 2013, 12:39,
Thats much the same with our kids,.. they will keep their mouths shut, and as you say, they know where we are
A major part of survival is invisibility.
27 August 2013, 13:32,
My wife let's me get on with it, NOW she is committed as I am , my daughters still think dad is nuts but are slowlly coming round I think, I have given up with none family members.