Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food Storage Ideas
29 August 2013, 17:07,
RE: Food Storage Ideas
(29 August 2013, 17:05)BeardyMan Wrote:
(29 August 2013, 16:59)I-K-E Wrote: Hi RS where did you manage to find tinned bread?

Rosspa.de used to sell it, not been on there for ages though so can't confirm 100%.

Tinned butter too, always a winner

looks like they have closed unfortunately
29 August 2013, 17:13,
RS, I agree with what you're trying to do. I also prefer to pack 2 weeks worth of food in one container. Sorry the buckets didn't work out. We use plastic bulk containers to keep the 2 weeks food in. Probably not as air tight as a bucket, but can fit 2 weeks food for 3 people in one. Any dry stuff like pasta, sugar, flour, oatmeal, etc goes in zip bags. As the food is used the zip bags then can be used for other things - like water storage. The containers when full are a bit heavy to handle, depending on how much canned goods are put in.
29 August 2013, 17:16, (This post was last modified: 29 August 2013, 17:17 by BeardyMan.)
(28 August 2013, 22:05)River Song Wrote: Ok so today was delivered 10 x 25 Litre buckets.
As I said, I was proposing to put 14 days food for 2 people.

The problem in my OP, is that the cans just wont fit in.

I'm going to do a sizing exercise tomorrow but it might be
that each bucket will be 7 days for 2 people which will be very disappointing.

buy yourself a vacuum sealer, empty tins into bag, seal, stick in bucket and do a happy dance when you see the extra room you have in there.

(29 August 2013, 17:07)I-K-E Wrote:
(29 August 2013, 17:05)BeardyMan Wrote:
(29 August 2013, 16:59)I-K-E Wrote: Hi RS where did you manage to find tinned bread?

Rosspa.de used to sell it, not been on there for ages though so can't confirm 100%.

Tinned butter too, always a winner

looks like they have closed unfortunately

Damnit!

I look forward to an update from RS, could do with some of the tinned bread. Wonder when Rosspa vanished?
29 August 2013, 17:46,
Tinned Bread

http://shop.conserva.de/en/17-canned-bread

Tinned Butter

http://shop.conserva.de/en/18-canned-butter

Not the cheapest in the world, but I've used this firm
and they are reliable - Transit from Germany takes around 5 days.

The bread is continental style like pumpernikel which is OK
if you like it.

Hope this helps
29 August 2013, 17:50,
(29 August 2013, 17:46)River Song Wrote: Tinned Bread

http://shop.conserva.de/en/17-canned-bread

Tinned Butter

http://shop.conserva.de/en/18-canned-butter

Not the cheapest in the world, but I've used this firm
and they are reliable - Transit from Germany takes around 5 days.

The bread is continental style like pumpernikel which is OK
if you like it.

Hope this helps

That's the one! I was getting seriously confused. 8 hours sleep out of the last 96 evidently is not enough for the old grey cells.
29 August 2013, 18:12,
Regarding the suggestion to open the cans and put them in bags
and take the air out. I've got one of them thair sealer things.

question - If I do that, what does it do to the shelf life of the soups etc?
29 August 2013, 19:56,
(29 August 2013, 18:12)River Song Wrote: Regarding the suggestion to open the cans and put them in bags
and take the air out. I've got one of them thair sealer things.

question - If I do that, what does it do to the shelf life of the soups etc?

that sounds like a lot of work to repack all those tins, plus there is risk of contaminants being introduced.

why not just pack the 2 weeks of food in a different container?
29 August 2013, 20:04,
Use dried soups.
Failure is NOT an option
29 August 2013, 20:11,
(29 August 2013, 17:13)Rush2112 Wrote: RS, I agree with what you're trying to do. I also prefer to pack 2 weeks worth of food in one container. Sorry the buckets didn't work out. We use plastic bulk containers to keep the 2 weeks food in. Probably not as air tight as a bucket, but can fit 2 weeks food for 3 people in one. Any dry stuff like pasta, sugar, flour, oatmeal, etc goes in zip bags. As the food is used the zip bags then can be used for other things - like water storage. The containers when full are a bit heavy to handle, depending on how much canned goods are put in.

I would suggest that you store all dried food in coke bottles, fill them up and tap it down, they will tap down a few times before they are full

This form of storage is excellent, the bottle store well, either standing or lying down, the bottles dont degrade so you could store outside

We use them for Rice, oats and dried soups, some are stored inside some outside
A major part of survival is invisibility.
29 August 2013, 20:37,
I wouldn't open tins and repackage. They won't last anywhere near as long all because you introduced germs.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin