Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick Water Question
26 August 2013, 18:42,
RE: Quick Water Question
You're right, 2/3rds of out body is water. I'm not disagreeing with anyone about 2 litres. It's in many of the books too. But so far I've seen no scientific basis for it.

Oh, and if you think you sweat out 2 litres (add pee into the equation) then weigh your clothing before you put it all on, and then collect your pee. Add the pee to the increase in weight of clothing at the end of the day (keys etc out of pockets) and you'll have an idea of how much water we lose every day. It's rarely 2 litres. Even while gardening hard, 2 litres is a lot of water to lose.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
26 August 2013, 18:45,
Everyone has different requirements. However if you are working on paper you stick with a standard. 2L drinking seems to be a standard. I've recorded my water consumption over several days and I don't drink 2L and I'm fine but at the weekend I drink a little more because I have a different lifestyle then.

Measure your own and then you can adjust your plans if necessary.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
26 August 2013, 19:48,
Hi S13

I have some documents about maritime survial issues. I goes into how much water needs to be rationed out just to sustain life in an open life raft. I don't remember the volume but it was a small fraction of the recommended 2l per day.

I've also read that the famous 8 glasses per day has no traceable research, and that it was reckoned to have come from bottled water companies' PR.

2l per day is on the high side for me, unless I am very active and or the ambient temperature is high.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

26 August 2013, 23:29,
(26 August 2013, 19:48)Lightspeed Wrote: Hi S13

I have some documents about maritime survial issues. I goes into how much water needs to be rationed out just to sustain life in an open life raft. I don't remember the volume but it was a small fraction of the recommended 2l per day.

I've also read that the famous 8 glasses per day has no traceable research, and that it was reckoned to have come from bottled water companies' PR.

2l per day is on the high side for me, unless I am very active and or the ambient temperature is high.

My point exactly.
27 August 2013, 09:15,
(26 August 2013, 19:48)Lightspeed Wrote: Hi S13

It also depends on things like weather, or in the case above sea,.... your body can absorb moisture through the skin, in the case of being immersed in sea water, you would need more water to compensate for the salt intake, [if it was available which is usually not the case, hence the small recommendation]... if your ordeal is during constant rain you may require less,... hot sunny days you need a lot more

Normally I wouldn't take 2ltrs, SD probably has the best idea, for every cup you drink put another into a container, and measure your intake for best results

When I served in the Far East, it was an 8 ltr a day recommendation that we had to drink as soon as we entered the jungle, but not many of us would be putting ourselves through such endurance as that
A major part of survival is invisibility.
27 August 2013, 14:38, (This post was last modified: 27 August 2013, 14:55 by SecretPrepper.)
Scythe spend a week recording how much you drink and use that as a minimum level. You get a lot of water through food eaten. You could have a bug in week and only use your stores to see how adequate they are and how much water you use for cooking and drinking.

The raft rationed water is low because your sitting there with very minimal exertion, therefore you need less.

Just wondering how much water you store? I'm looking to get some large storage tubs for water
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here

27 August 2013, 15:31,
We store only around 100 litres. But once the garden is sorted, we'll be looking closer to 1000 litres.