Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
OMG food prices keep going up!
31 August 2013, 00:06,
RE: OMG food prices keep going up!
(30 August 2013, 22:45)BDG Wrote: My local Costco have a load of American pork in the last couple of months but I have not bought any, sure in America they feed pigs on twinkies and hormones Wink

Worse than that! We feed them defeated politicians! Tongue
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
31 August 2013, 09:46,
(30 August 2013, 23:04)River Song Wrote: Wonderful idea - Get loads of meat and then joint it and freeze it.

Next the grid goes ---

old fashioned "meat safe".....ever heard of them? I've got one.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
31 August 2013, 10:18,
Even a meat safe would not keep this frozen for a long time.

Maybe a 12v freezer would do the trick but they aint cheap.
31 August 2013, 10:25,
(31 August 2013, 10:18)River Song Wrote: Even a meat safe would not keep this frozen for a long time.

Maybe a 12v freezer would do the trick but they aint cheap.

keeping stuff frozen post shtf will be impossible, put it in a watertight box and put it a well, or a spring or a river may keep it for awhile, but I think most people will be drying and smoking their meat.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
31 August 2013, 11:29,
The best thing for organic meat matter from plant matter is crickets and other insects. This is one of the reasons I bought some and had a little chow down on them a little while ago.

For 10lbs of food, you get about 1lb of chicken. For 10lbs of food you get 9lbs of crickets.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
31 August 2013, 14:48,
I seem to recall that John the Baptist survived on a diet of locusts and wild honey!

Seriously though I saw an advert on the tv and it revolved around mediaeval knights
and their food etc. I am not sure that 21st Century (wo)man could survive it.

We've probably become far too soft
31 August 2013, 16:14,
I just set some Quorn aside, no need to eat bugs.
31 August 2013, 16:52,
(30 August 2013, 23:04)River Song Wrote: Wonderful idea - Get loads of meat and then joint it and freeze it.

Next the grid goes --- now what?

I think I've answered my own question

How about a 12v freezer. Well not actually --- 20deg below ambient
but I'm sure there is something around

My chest freezer is rated to go a couple of days without power when empty. When it has more in it, I believe it should stay colder for even longer. Then there is the generator if I want to go down that route.

If TSHTF then I can cook up and store the meat. If it is down to a problem with the electricity company on a local level, they can pay for what I have lost and I will have the mother of all BBQ's.
31 August 2013, 16:57,
most freezers will stay frozen for up to 3 days after the power goes off IF you don't open the lid too much. generators will only run as long as you have fuel, once the fuel supplies stop being delivered there is a finite amount of time your stored fuel will last, of course post shtf you also have the problem of your genny being heard by raiders.