Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum Challenge...1 Month...FIRE!!!
2 September 2013, 10:09,
RE: Forum Challenge...1 Month...FIRE!!!
(2 September 2013, 09:46)Lightspeed Wrote: Gotcha

does sparking flint onto home-made char clth count?

If you got the flint from the ground and made the material for the char-cloth and made the fire naturally in the first place to make the char cloth.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
2 September 2013, 10:52,
(2 September 2013, 10:01)Tartar Horde Wrote: You should ALL be able to do this anyway tut tut, always makes me laugh when you see people with all the camping gear and all the other "survival" equipment to survive the apocalypse but they can't make fire without a lighter or matches, it's even worse when they use one of those ferrous rods and think they are making real fire.
So if using a Bow drill we have to make the cordage for the bow as well from moma nature, I can see some blisters coming on this one.
2 September 2013, 11:23,
(2 September 2013, 10:09)Scythe13 Wrote:
(2 September 2013, 09:46)Lightspeed Wrote: Gotcha

does sparking flint onto home-made char clth count?

If you got the flint from the ground and made the material for the char-cloth and made the fire naturally in the first place to make the char cloth.

Char cloth can be made ny " charing" suitable fungi.
Not having the fire to make the char in the first place kills this solution though.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

2 September 2013, 11:26,
Excellent challenge, I'll take it on!

Be good to hear of the success/failure/remedy stories later...
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!
2 September 2013, 11:57,
(2 September 2013, 11:23)Lightspeed Wrote: Char cloth can be made ny " charing" suitable fungi.
Not having the fire to make the char in the first place kills this solution though.

That's good to know about making char-cloth, thanks LS.
2 September 2013, 13:25,
Hand drill.
Need to source the correct type of woods and make sure they're nice and dry first. That'll probably take a month!

Good challenge this one buddy, primitive.

Hand drills & bow drills take years to master, I don't imagine I'll do too well at this but we'll see.
2 September 2013, 13:51,
(2 September 2013, 13:25)BeardyMan Wrote: Hand drill.
Need to source the correct type of woods and make sure they're nice and dry first. That'll probably take a month!

Good challenge this one buddy, primitive.

Hand drills & bow drills take years to master, I don't imagine I'll do too well at this but we'll see.
Not at all BM using a bow drill is the easiest method to make primitive fire, the drill should be of the same wood as the board, your bearing block can be made from a small palm sized rock if need be, a little tip is to lubricate the drill end that goes into the rock etc with oil/fat it helps to keep the friction down as this end will get hot. The cut out notch where the hot embers build up is the trickiest part but no problem really. you do realise that once you all start doing this you'll have an urge to make flint tools and then all will be lost as you slowly regress into cro magnons
2 September 2013, 14:04,
(2 September 2013, 13:51)Tartar Horde Wrote: a little tip is to lubricate the drill end that goes into the rock etc with oil/fat it helps to keep the friction down as this end will get hot.

Difficult for this task. Alternatively...a little ear wax would work, and is doable for this task!
2 September 2013, 14:08, (This post was last modified: 2 September 2013, 14:18 by Prepper1.)
Does the fire bow have to be a certain size?

I mean by that, most of the videos you see featuring the fire bow are fairly largish, not really pocket size.

Has anybody on here made a smaller pocket size one?

Can you make it pocket size?

Or does the physics of the thing not work if its smaller?

By pocket size, I'm thinking of hand size, something you could hold in one hand with a small drill rod say hardwood dowel and say some sort of thimble holder for the top pushing down hard with your thumb and bowing with the other hand.

maybe there's not enough friction...

Hmm may try that...

I ask because I dont really have a clue on that as I use a ferro rod to cheat, I have loads.
I have a tinder box with cotton wool, birch bark etc..

Aha looks like you can make then pocket size physics aside, just found this.

I was curious because sometimes making things bigger or smaller sometimes doesn't work out too well, the fire bow in this video seems more handy that the normal huge ones, more convenient me thinks...
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
2 September 2013, 14:48,
Im out guy's bit to bushtuckerman for me...great challenge though , i'll stick to my joblot of cheap disposable lighters and firesteels , i'm 48 now and have enough firesteels to get me to my telegram from the queen. for me its not a practicable skill and would detract from my prepping time.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!