Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dogs
8 September 2013, 17:20,
RE: Dogs
(8 September 2013, 17:15)Midnitemo Wrote: Not for me dogs post event....i feel unless you are adopting an overt stance then dog's are of little use...you cannot 100% keep a dog quiet...great for warning you of intruders but equally great for attracting attention to you...so as i intend on stealth as my major strategy then no dogs for me...another mouth to feed to. may consider dogs afterwards maybe a year in when things have settled.

a barking dog may make an intruder think twice about entering your property, a good hunting dog or a retriever will be a valuable asset, a year after TSHTF will be too late, all dogs have either been taken or they've gone FERAL by then.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 September 2013, 17:24,
i think dogs being dogs and the fact they love to root at every opportunity...somebody in the vicinity will have a pup to sell/trade.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
8 September 2013, 17:27,
(8 September 2013, 17:24)Midnitemo Wrote: ..somebody in the vicinity will have a pup to sell/trade.

nice thought, I hope your right, if you get a dog this way check it over thoroughly before you buy. I got a jack Russell like this, vet checked it over, it was DEAD within 12 months...it had a tumour nobody spotted-I think it had been used for badger baiting.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 September 2013, 17:36,
I think a barking dog in my house would "sound"delicious to the hungry people all around me and the last thing i want are prying eyes in my house and especially if they belong to people trying to force there way in. i don't doubt that dogs with a hunting/protective nature would be a great boon to some in different situations just not to me right now.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
8 September 2013, 17:38,
(8 September 2013, 17:36)Midnitemo Wrote: I think a barking dog in my house would "sound"delicious to the hungry people all around me and the last thing i want are prying eyes in my house and especially if they belong to people trying to force there way in. i don't doubt that dogs with a hunting/protective nature would be a great boon to some in different situations just not to me right now.

ok, you know your situation better than I do. i'm going to grab me some extra dogs as soon as the SHTF!
8 September 2013, 18:31,
Of course, I have not hunted with my dogs,... but I will admit to encouraging them to seek out the deer, all my dogs can do it, but one in particular is very good at it,... as soon as her nose goes up, I say ` come on Jazz, find it`, and she is off, and more times than not we will come across deer.

This would be a great asset up here.

Also if you think about it, almost every camp of humans throughout history has had camp dogs, they serve to carry, pull, alert, and defend.
A major part of survival is invisibility.
8 September 2013, 20:25,
I rely on my dog to alert me to strangers. He barks - loudly - at anything that is not the norm to him, but ignores other local dogs. He's also protective, so he's a useful member of the family - he does a job and earns his keep.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
9 September 2013, 00:15,
Iv already got 3 Rotties. One of which is being train for personal protection.
I also have a large running dog.
I always store enough food for at least 6 months for them.
I also store enough spaghetti to feed them for another 6 months.
It costs me 19 pence a pack for 500 grams.
2 packs per day X 30 days cost me £11.40 for the months.

Iv seen what damage hungry dogs are capable of.
So if you have to go out after the SHTF take something like a pole/spear
Or a heavy metal curtain pole out with you.
9 September 2013, 10:14,
(9 September 2013, 00:15)BFG Central Wrote: Iv already got 3 Rotties. One of which is being train for personal protection.
I also have a large running dog.
I always store enough food for at least 6 months for them.
I also store enough spaghetti to feed them for another 6 months.
It costs me 19 pence a pack for 500 grams.
2 packs per day X 30 days cost me £11.40 for the months.

Iv seen what damage hungry dogs are capable of.
So if you have to go out after the SHTF take something like a pole/spear
Or a heavy metal curtain pole out with you.

I thought about training Winston for PP. Seems to come naturally though - he seems to know when I'm about to lump someone and steps up quite nicely. Same with aggression towards us, put your hands up in fists, like a fighting stance, and he'll get right up in your face, literally.

I'd like to get him a friend, but until we own our own place it's not on the books unfortunately.

How are you training yours?
9 September 2013, 10:19,
our Cairn Terrier is as soft as a brush but is an excellent WARNING dog, she lets us know when anyone is about LONG before they actually get anywhere near the front door. I had a Poodle when I was younger who could deferentiate my dads car noise and my motor bike from half a mile away from all the other traffic on our estate.