Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rolling a thought around and looking for alternative ideas/views
18 September 2013, 11:00,
RE: Rolling a thought around and looking for alternative ideas/views
I think this strategy was discussed in the book "Distant Eden." A retired prepper couple, in a rural house. They decided to cache and hide most of their possessions, stuff like burying an their anvil and tools, just making the house look abandoned. They could then melt into the brush, on their own land. They were both good at wilderness camping, so the fact they had access to their caches made it that much easier. They did this because they would rather have the flexibility to move around, ambush or get of of the way of the bad guys; if you do bug in, and you're confronted with a much bigger force, you eiher face a high risk of dying or flee, losing most of your preps. This way they could stay flexible for the first 90 days, then move back into the house after the initial die-off, and uncache everything.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
18 September 2013, 11:36,
(18 September 2013, 11:00)Tibbs735 Wrote: I think this strategy was discussed in the book "Distant Eden." A retired prepper couple, in a rural house. They decided to cache and hide most of their possessions, stuff like burying an their anvil and tools, just making the house look abandoned. They could then melt into the brush, on their own land. They were both good at wilderness camping, so the fact they had access to their caches made it that much easier. They did this because they would rather have the flexibility to move around, ambush or get of of the way of the bad guys; if you do bug in, and you're confronted with a much bigger force, you eiher face a high risk of dying or flee, losing most of your preps. This way they could stay flexible for the first 90 days, then move back into the house after the initial die-off, and uncache everything.

This works really well given a large enough peice of land and enough seclusion to prep the land with caches and a number of campsite options unhindered and unseen, but i don't think s13 owns the land he's talking about. he is talking about
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
18 September 2013, 17:56,
Correct there MNM, I don't own the land.

The observation post idea does appeal, but I think I would have issues leaving my wife alone at the house. Wherever she is I want to be there to protect her. This is an issue I need to deal with.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
18 September 2013, 22:54,
Thats my biggest fear....not being there for my loved ones....what makes it worse is my partner is a very reluctant prepper and will not get involved which puts even more pressure on cos i could really do without having to show her and everyone else how everything works whilst its going off all around us...what if i fall victim day 1...then there all screwed.
19 September 2013, 06:11, (This post was last modified: 19 September 2013, 06:12 by Lightspeed.)
(18 September 2013, 17:56)Scythe13 Wrote: Correct there MNM, I don't own the land.

The observation post idea does appeal, but I think I would have issues leaving my wife alone at the house. Wherever she is I want to be there to protect her. This is an issue I need to deal with.

Protecting your wife ( and your house) is the whole point of the OP, especially if your neighbours are collaborating with you.

When, say, you are manning the OP, you are providing advanced warning of emergencies to both your wife and yoiur group.

If local emergencies happen while you are at the OP, the collaborating families deal with it on your behalf, and until you get there.

Don't forget that you have the two way radios. The OP idea only works if both your wife and all of the collaborating families have radios as well, and that they are all tuned to the same frequencies etc.(colour!). Your wife can call for assistance from the local families using the radio and you will hear their response and be ablke to judge if to stay put observing, or to return.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

19 September 2013, 08:41,
In that case LS, I think I may well need a new location as an OP. The initial location was the side of a woods near a field, however, that only provided a good view of the street. But because of the lay of the area and the layout of the town, it makes further observation much harder. I could see street, and a few streets either side, but not too much from the local town.

I'll lay my plan out in greater detail for better scrutiny.

Day 1, something happens, possibly TEOTWAWKI. MAJOR power cut, expecting grid down, emp, or something. Pop over to the neighbours, let them know we're off camping maybe a little hunting. Hand a radio to one of them if they're staying put, then head up off out to a certain location with direct line of site of our street. Stay up there with the wife and dogs for a few days. Expecting we have enough stuff for a week....but now I'm thinking of the dogs too, a week would be way too over optimistic. Those buggers eat LOADS! Maybe would have to ask a neighbour if they could feed the dogs at home....anyway, we would stay up there for a while and watch our street and surrounding area. We may not be able to see into town properly, but if there was any smoke rising, we could easily see that. Flashing lights for ambulances or other emergency vehicles. We would be camouflaged and hidden, remaining quiet, and keeping a VERY low profile. Also, armed incase something happened. Would radio the neighbours and see if they know what's going on and whether they've heard any news. After a certain number of days...4 or 5, depending on situation, would look to get back to the house in the night to assess any damages, restock and to feed the dogs a little extra. Also, see the neighbours and check how they're getting along, if that's possible. Would communicate this over the radio. Then back out to our secondary location for a few more days. The journey back to the house is for a few reasons. Firstly, assessment, secondly, talk to the neighbours and see what they thought and wanted to do.
19 September 2013, 10:17,
So neighbours are not collaborating knowingly with prepping plans at the moment.

What you're saying makes sense.

Suggest you get a pair of rechargable PMR's to hand over to the neighbours, pre configured to the channels and CTCSS codes you will be using. One PMR on permanent charge, the other on monitor. You'll need to think about how you'll keep your bug out radio on air for a whole week as well.

Maybe a hidden secondary entrance to your own house would be advisable too, just in case you have to break into your own house??
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

19 September 2013, 10:31,
(19 September 2013, 10:17)Lightspeed Wrote: So neighbours are not collaborating knowingly with prepping plans at the moment.

What you're saying makes sense.

Suggest you get a pair of rechargable PMR's to hand over to the neighbours, pre configured to the channels and CTCSS codes you will be using. One PMR on permanent charge, the other on monitor. You'll need to think about how you'll keep your bug out radio on air for a whole week as well.

Maybe a hidden secondary entrance to your own house would be advisable too, just in case you have to break into your own house??

I was just looking at another set of radios for that exact reason.

Neighbours all grow their own food, to a small extent, but wouldn't be enough to live off. There is one that I believe is a prepper. A wood store nearly as big as a house!!! Have spoken to her a little, but need to make friends really.
19 September 2013, 12:31,
Go up on the hill for 48 hours keep eyes on, this gives you an idea of whats happening,if all is quiet you can pop, back say 0100hrs then bug out again just before first light , replenished for another shift on watch.
19 September 2013, 14:19,
I really appreciate all the feedback guys.

Some really good ideas, questions and considerations.

Thank you all.

Any more ideas, keep them coming.