Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abandoned Dogs Roam Detroit in Packs as Humans Dwindle
18 September 2013, 15:18,
RE: Abandoned Dogs Roam Detroit in Packs as Humans Dwindle
(18 September 2013, 15:04)Highlander Wrote:
(18 September 2013, 13:01)bigpaul Wrote: consider it meat on the hoof...err...paw.

In practice you would have to be careful how you went about catching one,.... if you shot one, or trapped one, then there would be a good chance that it would be taken by the pack,... remember that the dogs will be hunting through extreme hunger in many cases

There is also the chance that the rest of the pack will continue to attack you if you are on foot and close enough.

Not sure which would be the best way,.. maybe enticing them into a building, shutting the door and shooting them all from a distance

Either way, I think care would be needed

getting in amongst them or being out in the open when one shot one of them is obviously out of the question, shooting from cover would be the best bet. then waiting until the pack had left before leaving your cover would also seem in order. they used to shoot feral cats like this , I believe it still happens in places in the med...although not for food. caution would be the key....don't want to catch rabies do we?Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 September 2013, 15:58,
Never gave this much thought till NOW , a very real threat indeed .....them kavilar leggings and jacket may well become one of my better investments but I am in no rush to find out ...... this needs more thought .
18 September 2013, 16:23, (This post was last modified: 18 September 2013, 16:29 by Mortblanc.)
Detroit or any other city in the U.S. will be hampered in their efforts by the humane associations present in our society. they are not simply after humane disposal, they want capture and rescue of every animal. That is something I have never worried about since my concern has almost always been protection of life or limb or the welfare of my livestock.

Aside from my experiences with elimination through use as food stocks for oriental restaurant use I have had some continued dealings with the canine group for many years, in their roll as predators and pests rather than pets.

Fact is, I have hastened the departure of at least a ton of dogs/coyotes from planet earth in my past few years.

As a farmer one is required to be in the open and often required to confront canines in situations not of ones choosing. I have even been required to drive into the middle of a pack to rescue several head of livestock and I was always amazed at the unpredictable behavior of canines. Sometime you can drive into the middle of a pack and sometimes they will scatter while still at long range.

I have shot them with everything imaginable, from .223/5.56 rounds up to heavy .30 caliber rifles. Technically, one uses whatever is in ones reach when dealing with dogs, however, my favorite dog gun will remain a 12 bore shotgun of fast firing high capacity variety.

However, I have killed more canines using antifreeze than any other method.

I used to carry a bottle of antifreeze in my truck and any time I came across an coyote of dog kill I poured it full of antifreeze. The canines returned to their kill, consumed the antifreeze, and committed suicide.

The stuff is like candy to them. They slop it up with gusto, them stagger off to die.

If you have a large scale dog problem post SHTF go out and drain a few of the radiators on those abandoned vehicles on the motorway. Leave the contents around for the canines to find and wait for the results.

I do not know if anyone knew it or not but the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan have included dog eradication programs. They send special teams out armed with rifle and shotgun just to eliminate tha stray dog problems foot patrols face in those areas.

If you google the dog eradication program in Iraq you will find that most of the reports are more concerned with the fate of the dogs than the fate of the humans they are endangering.
18 September 2013, 16:53,
I suggest something like a shark stick with a shotgun shell at arms length, short chamber only say 4 to 5 inches to direct the blast press the end on the animal in question and like a captive bolt guns fixed firing pin it should fir the shell and BOOM!!! no more doggy...
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
18 September 2013, 22:46, (This post was last modified: 18 September 2013, 22:47 by Midnitemo.)
.22 moderated for a single dog , no5 shot for a group in an ideal world , i'd be more worried about losing the carcass to another human...when the no5 shot goes off the dogs will run...if your quick enough i think you'll get your dog without stimulating an attack...these dogs will not be used to gunfire , like i said i'm more concerned about humans hearing it and showing an interest.

AAA or BB if particularly large dog
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
19 September 2013, 04:58,
If you have the choice of shooting the dogs or not shooting them, because you are scared of people hearing the shots, then you do not have a dog issue to worry over.

I think I would be concerned with surviving the immediate life or death concern in front of me and worry about the next issue when it arrives.

If the next arrival is people drawn by the sound of shooting they are crazy or soldiers. Only maniacs and soldiers run toward gunfire!
19 September 2013, 07:00,
I wouldn't be out looking for dogs to shoot , was thinking along the lines of standing watch and a single/pack of dogs appear and i have the option to put some meat on the table, just concerned gunfire would alert people to our presence, if i had people out say on a water collection i would investigate gunfire,if everybody was home then we'd stand to on hearing gunfire.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
19 September 2013, 08:53,
I feel a bit silly only just realising this.

MB, I know you are not a fan of Tom Brown, but he apparently spent 3 days in a tree to avoid wild dogs. Which makes this scenario much easier. If your main threat is the dogs, you could set a load of traps and then just sit up in a tree with a gun. For every dog that you kill, if the others start to eat it, antifreeze or another shotgun shell, or .22 round. In the tree you're safe from them...but a target for other people.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
19 September 2013, 08:53,
anyone who dosent take note of gunfire post shtf is either deaf or deadBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 September 2013, 10:48,
quote from the good lady Agatha Christie

"Poison is much quieter darling"