Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abandoned Dogs Roam Detroit in Packs as Humans Dwindle
19 September 2013, 10:58,
RE: Abandoned Dogs Roam Detroit in Packs as Humans Dwindle
(19 September 2013, 10:48)River Song Wrote: quote from the good lady Agatha Christie

"Poison is much quieter darling"

that wont due the meat much good will it? no point in leaving all that meat to rot!its yet another food source so no I don't think i'll be poisoning them.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 September 2013, 11:17,
Trap and then terminate. Either drown them or cut their throats. Anything else is wasting resources.

Fox traps can be bought or made if you know how. I've bought mine because I'm not very practical.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 September 2013, 11:19,
places like Mole Valley Farmers sell them (other stockists are available) or you can find them on Ebay.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 September 2013, 12:41,
Good post, this is something that could be a real problem. If it's a long term SHTF, these packs of dogs will start multiplying, providing there is food to sustain them, and the stronger ones will dominate. Then they could be a force to be reckoned with. That antifreeze solution sounds interesting, I'm sure I've heard people killing domestic cats this way that are a nuisance in their gardens.
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!
19 September 2013, 12:46,
I think some are missing the point, this is a valuable meat source at a time when access to meat might be restricted, why poison the meat when you can eat it, if they continue breeding then you have an ongoing food supply.
19 September 2013, 12:56,
(19 September 2013, 12:46)bigpaul Wrote: I think some are missing the point, this is a valuable meat source at a time when access to meat might be restricted, why poison the meat when you can eat it, if they continue breeding then you have an ongoing food supply.

Its a valuable meat source that might well be looking at you as avaluable meat source as well BP.

Packs of dogs that have gone wild are very dangerous. they understand us humans and once they have crossed the boundary of respect and started to get a taste for us, they will be a major threat.

I would not hesitate to kill and eat a wild dog, but a pack of them hunting humans in my area would have to be eradicated as vermin, and poison would probably be the quietest and most efficient way to do this
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

19 September 2013, 13:03, (This post was last modified: 19 September 2013, 13:16 by bigpaul.)
would it be possible to cull them, like the badgers at present, to a level where they become a valuable meat source but not a threat to human life and limb?? just thinking out loud!

there are lots of "wild cats" puma types that were let loose 30 or 40 years ago when licencing was brought in, these have bred in the wild but they don't seem to be a problem, you don't think we are over reacting? maybe in the States this is a problem(dogs I mean) but then the cities are bigger over there so more pets are kept pro rata? i'm just wondering if the case has been overstated from a simple newspaper report.

I mean take MINK for example, lots of those escaped into the wild from mink farms in the 60s, but have you ever seen a mink, I haven't! and I spend a lot of my time in the countryside.
19 September 2013, 14:13, (This post was last modified: 19 September 2013, 14:18 by Scythe13.)
(19 September 2013, 13:03)bigpaul Wrote: would it be possible to cull them, like the badgers at present, to a level where they become a valuable meat source but not a threat to human life and limb?? just thinking out loud!

I think a hungry dog will nearly always be a threat.

Also, for the mink, I have seen a few things that could very well have been mink, or ferrets, or stoats. Only about 6 or 7 in my life in the wild.

It may well be overstated, but it's still worth considering the possibility.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
19 September 2013, 14:22,
(19 September 2013, 14:13)Scythe13 Wrote:
(19 September 2013, 13:03)bigpaul Wrote: would it be possible to cull them, like the badgers at present, to a level where they become a valuable meat source but not a threat to human life and limb?? just thinking out loud!

I think a hungry dog will nearly always be a threat.

Also, for the mink, I have seen a few things that could very well have been mink, or ferrets, or stoats. Only about 6 or 7 in my life in the wild.

It may well be overstated, but it's still worth considering the possibility.

we can never know, the whole point is its all ifs and buts and wherefores, its up to our own pet choice of scenario, but I do worry we may be over reacting to one report in an American newspaper, a scenario to think about but not dwell on, there are other things more obvious..like hunger!
19 September 2013, 14:34,
Just add this to your list and prepare for it. Nothing else you can do. I have a trap and intend to use it for this. Trap or shoot one, use it to trap others until they keep away. repeat when they come back and hope we can handle it.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin