Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abandoned Dogs Roam Detroit in Packs as Humans Dwindle
19 September 2013, 14:36,
RE: Abandoned Dogs Roam Detroit in Packs as Humans Dwindle
yep agreed SD, just another thing to add to the list and prepare for.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 September 2013, 15:17,
(17 September 2013, 22:23)River Song Wrote: This could be a problem in a post TU situation.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-21...indle.html

I am posting this not as a reply or for discussion.
I am posting just as information that may be useful.

Wild Dogs (Animals) Pose Post-TEOTWAWKI Danger
"If TEOTWAWKI (the end of the world as we know it) happens, then millions of dogs and other animals will become a major problem."
But first, before we accept that as fact, here is the argument.
My premise is we have 90 percent of the population in the cities. Most are soft and would rather steal what you have than work at hunting or trapping or even gardening. I believe most will never get out of the cities and will die in the rioting and fires. While all this is going on, they will let their pets go free, thinking at least they can survive on their own. I know city people will do this and we will have millions of dogs and cats released to go wild.
On top of this there are all those wild life parks and zoos not to mention many private collections full of wild animals. There is talk in the UK of reintroducing wolves back into Scotland.
Now what I have to say next is not for the weak hearted, if for any reason you have a weak stomach or can't handle a cold hard reality check, then don’t read any further.
OK, for those who are still with me, these animals will be a major problem and must be dealt with. Period. This isn't Disney, where you can talk to the poor dog and cat and the world is all fuzzy and warm. This is reality. If you own animals never, ever, EVER, release them to go wild.
If you don't have the stomach for putting them down, have someone else do it. If you have to put dog food away at your camp, cache, whatever, great. I think a dog is invaluable then. A cat in the wild in this crisis is your greatest enemy. One study found that the best predator against small game was the house cat. The common house cat killed more small game then all other predators in the study.
I understand pack mentality and a pack of dogs scares me more than a pack of wolves. This is how the dogs will form packs, an alpha male will take control of the pack with a beta male as second in command, and the packs will range from 6 to 100 dogs depending on the food supply.
This scenario, I read years ago of a pack like this had 45 dogs and this was how they attacked people. The alpha picked a friendly looking female like a collie. This is the decoy dog.
As you are walking in the woods, the collie approaches and draws your attention, as the packs circle you for the kill. When the pack sneaks up to striking distance, they will attack and so will the decoy.
I'm talking lighting fast 45 dogs coming at you. How many rounds does your clip have? And what of later when you are down to a spear, knife or bows and arrows.
You see when the riots and the death in the city is happening the dogs will learn to fed on the bodies then in turn will acquire the taste for humans. Now you have a pack of wild dogs who consider you and your loved ones as food. They have no fear of man and will kill you to insure their own survival. Now, I'm not trying to scare you and sell fear.
I am telling you that this will happen if the chaos of TEOTWAWKI occurs. You'll have to learn to kill dogs and cats on sight. Period. This is not an option. If you want to insure your own survival, then listen to me. This is no game.
I have talked to the people who have told me that they still believe their dog is probably still out there hunting with the best of the coyotes. Dreamy like and with pride in their voice! Or I know my cat is still alive because he was the best hunter in the neighbourhood, he killed more birds than any other cat!
There is no such thing as a dog or cat that is better off let go to fend for themselves. Most of the time you would never recognize them after 6 months on their own.
If a TEOTWAWKI does happen then someone in your group but preferably everyone should trap, hunt and kill every dog and cat that has gone wild in your area. Period! The best defence to protect your garden and livestock or game animals would be snares. I would have 10 dozens coyote grade snares and enough heavy wire to set all of them at once.
Here is another theory: Starving people will kill the dogs for food. I say sure some will become food, but the average household that has guns has less than 50 rounds, although most survivalists will have much more. So, I think after the first week most people will be out of ammo. Then the packs will rule.
I just keep thinking of all the people in the cities and their "My dogs are my children" attitude. Dog and cat food is a huge business. I'm not saying that this is wrong, all I'm pointing out is people's attitude toward pets, and I guarantee they will let them go to fend for themselves when the food runs out. Make sure you are ready to face this threat.
I was just thinking that I didn't fully explain the dog issue. Especially the Alpha male, the Beta male and how the pecking order works. The meanest, toughest, and most willing to draw blood will be the Alpha. He more or less runs the pack through fear and intimidation.
The Beta male is the second strongest. He may challenge the Alpha male, but as soon as he starts to lose he will back off. The Beta is just as dangerous as the Alpha and his whole purpose in life is waiting for the day he can run the pack. So the Alpha has a Judas in his mist, if in a fight with a new dog that tries to take the pack over, the Beta will watch this fight intently.
Even if the Alpha drives off or wins the fight if he is seriously hurt the Beta may try to finish him off for control of the pack. Why is this important? This is one piece of vital information I forgot to tell you. If wild dogs attack you, the two most important dogs to kill are the Alpha and the Beta.
You see, the Beta is waiting for his turn to run the pack. So if you shoot the Alpha, the Beta might just call off the attack just so he can run the pack. That doesn't mean you are out of trouble. All that means is there is a new leader and next time they will try something different. If TEOTWAWKI does happen, then the dog packs will find you, I guarantee it. This is how I will try to explain this.
The best place to trap coyotes is a running full time farm. The largest farm in the area is always the best place to trap. Now stop and think about why? Okay, let me rephrase the question. The best place to trap coyotes in any country is the largest livestock farm. Why? If you all thought about it you would come up with the smell of food.
You see all dogs are from the wild, in their past they are all cousins to fox, coyotes, and wolves. They mostly hunt with their nose. So the farm with the most livestock that has calves, cows, chickens, sheep, whatever the farmer is raising.
The predators are out there the whole time coming by checking out the place looking for an easy meal. Do you see my point?
That is why the dogs will find you. Maybe not at first, but they will find you. They will smell your camp, cooking, cleaning game, livestock, etc. They will come. When a deer dies off, predators from miles away come to feast on him. After the body gets torn up, the predator birds will be there and every predator will get its share. Which way do the predators first approach the kill, do you think? The downwind side. There is an advanced predator trapping lesson here, if you are paying attention.
This also shows on any trapping where you are using lures, the importance of the wind. If you are trapping a river and the wind is blowing across into your face, then you are setting on the wrong side. Any animal that you hope to lure to your set must first smell it. This sounds so obvious, but it takes a mental note in your head to keep this in mind. Now, do you start to see how the packs will find you?
This is how I plan on dealing with this problem, 100 snares will guard my place. 100 snares sound like a great deal of work, but it really isn't, this could be done in one day. Even a novice can do it in three days, tops. Everyone with me that carries a weapon will kill every dog on sight. This problem has me upset; it is something I should have thought of years ago. I understand nature and why a pack of hungry wolves doesn't scare me like a pack of wild dogs, is quite simply that the wolves are taught to fear man.
I will try to explain this in detail, but the best way is through actual events.
A family is living in the woods. Dad goes off to work on a nice spring day, so mum has her baby on the front porch while she is inside cleaning. The baby was around 18 months old and was just enjoying the sun, when a black bear come up and grabbed the child. The baby started screaming. The mother's instinct took over and she did one of the bravest things I have ever heard off! Armed with a broom, the mother started beating on the bear to make it drop the child. The bear was annoyed and simply ran off into the woods with the child. Mom was immediately on the phone, and before long, the whole town was out there to search for the child.
Luckily there was a pack of trained bear hounds in the area and soon the trail was found. It wasn't long before they found what was left of the child and the bear was ran down and shot. This whole incident happened because the Department of Natural Resources didn't understand nature. The rule is quite simple; you are either a predator or prey. Which do you want to be?
My whole point is to show how nature works. Dogs and man are part of nature, and the rule always applies. God forbid, if TEOTWAWKI does happen, then the rule will apply even more because dogs have no fear of man to begin with and man does not consider dogs as a threat. You will either establish that you are the top predator of your area, or you will be prey.
19 September 2013, 16:04,
Good post John,

Scary, but I think in all probability correct.

Thanks
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

19 September 2013, 16:30,
(19 September 2013, 15:17)John Wrote:
(17 September 2013, 22:23)River Song Wrote: This could be a problem in a post TU situation.

"If TEOTWAWKI (the end of the world as we know it) happens, then millions of dogs and other animals will become a major problem."
My premise is we have 90 percent of the population in the cities. Most are soft and would rather steal what you have than work at hunting or trapping or even gardening. I believe most will never get out of the cities and will die in the rioting and fires. While all this is going on, they will let their pets go free, thinking at least they can survive on their own. I know city people will do this and we will have millions of dogs and cats released to go wild.
On top of this there are all those wild life parks and zoos not to mention many private collections full of wild animals. There is talk in the UK of reintroducing wolves back into Scotland.
Now what I have to say next is not for the weak hearted, if for any reason you have a weak stomach or can't handle a cold hard reality check, then don’t read any further.
OK, for those who are still with me, these animals will be a major problem and must be dealt with. Period. This isn't Disney, where you can talk to the poor dog and cat and the world is all fuzzy and warm. This is reality. If you own animals never, ever, EVER, release them to go wild.
If you don't have the stomach for putting them down, have someone else do it. If you have to put dog food away at your camp, cache, whatever, great. I think a dog is invaluable then. A cat in the wild in this crisis is your greatest enemy. One study found that the best predator against small game was the house cat. The common house cat killed more small game then all other predators in the study.
I understand pack mentality and a pack of dogs scares me more than a pack of wolves. This is how the dogs will form packs, an alpha male will take control of the pack with a beta male as second in command, and the packs will range from 6 to 100 dogs depending on the food supply.
This scenario, I read years ago of a pack like this had 45 dogs and this was how they attacked people. The alpha picked a friendly looking female like a collie. This is the decoy dog.
As you are walking in the woods, the collie approaches and draws your attention, as the packs circle you for the kill. When the pack sneaks up to striking distance, they will attack and so will the decoy.
I'm talking lighting fast 45 dogs coming at you. How many rounds does your clip have? And what of later when you are down to a spear, knife or bows and arrows.
You see when the riots and the death in the city is happening the dogs will learn to fed on the bodies then in turn will acquire the taste for humans. Now you have a pack of wild dogs who consider you and your loved ones as food. They have no fear of man and will kill you to insure their own survival. Now, I'm not trying to scare you and sell fear.
I am telling you that this will happen if the chaos of TEOTWAWKI occurs. You'll have to learn to kill dogs and cats on sight. Period. This is not an option. If you want to insure your own survival, then listen to me. This is no game.
I have talked to the people who have told me that they still believe their dog is probably still out there hunting with the best of the coyotes. Dreamy like and with pride in their voice! Or I know my cat is still alive because he was the best hunter in the neighbourhood, he killed more birds than any other cat!
There is no such thing as a dog or cat that is better off let go to fend for themselves. Most of the time you would never recognize them after 6 months on their own.
If a TEOTWAWKI does happen then someone in your group but preferably everyone should trap, hunt and kill every dog and cat that has gone wild in your area. Period! The best defence to protect your garden and livestock or game animals would be snares. I would have 10 dozens coyote grade snares and enough heavy wire to set all of them at once.
Here is another theory: Starving people will kill the dogs for food. I say sure some will become food, but the average household that has guns has less than 50 rounds, although most survivalists will have much more. So, I think after the first week most people will be out of ammo. Then the packs will rule.
I just keep thinking of all the people in the cities and their "My dogs are my children" attitude. Dog and cat food is a huge business. I'm not saying that this is wrong, all I'm pointing out is people's attitude toward pets, and I guarantee they will let them go to fend for themselves when the food runs out. Make sure you are ready to face this threat.
I was just thinking that I didn't fully explain the dog issue. Especially the Alpha male, the Beta male and how the pecking order works. The meanest, toughest, and most willing to draw blood will be the Alpha. He more or less runs the pack through fear and intimidation.
The Beta male is the second strongest. He may challenge the Alpha male, but as soon as he starts to lose he will back off. The Beta is just as dangerous as the Alpha and his whole purpose in life is waiting for the day he can run the pack. So the Alpha has a Judas in his mist, if in a fight with a new dog that tries to take the pack over, the Beta will watch this fight intently.
Even if the Alpha drives off or wins the fight if he is seriously hurt the Beta may try to finish him off for control of the pack. Why is this important? This is one piece of vital information I forgot to tell you. If wild dogs attack you, the two most important dogs to kill are the Alpha and the Beta.
You see, the Beta is waiting for his turn to run the pack. So if you shoot the Alpha, the Beta might just call off the attack just so he can run the pack. That doesn't mean you are out of trouble. All that means is there is a new leader and next time they will try something different. If TEOTWAWKI does happen, then the dog packs will find you, I guarantee it. This is how I will try to explain this.
The best place to trap coyotes is a running full time farm. The largest farm in the area is always the best place to trap. Now stop and think about why? Okay, let me rephrase the question. The best place to trap coyotes in any country is the largest livestock farm. Why? If you all thought about it you would come up with the smell of food.
You see all dogs are from the wild, in their past they are all cousins to fox, coyotes, and wolves. They mostly hunt with their nose. So the farm with the most livestock that has calves, cows, chickens, sheep, whatever the farmer is raising.
The predators are out there the whole time coming by checking out the place looking for an easy meal. Do you see my point?
That is why the dogs will find you. Maybe not at first, but they will find you. They will smell your camp, cooking, cleaning game, livestock, etc. They will come. When a deer dies off, predators from miles away come to feast on him. After the body gets torn up, the predator birds will be there and every predator will get its share. Which way do the predators first approach the kill, do you think? The downwind side. There is an advanced predator trapping lesson here, if you are paying attention.
This also shows on any trapping where you are using lures, the importance of the wind. If you are trapping a river and the wind is blowing across into your face, then you are setting on the wrong side. Any animal that you hope to lure to your set must first smell it. This sounds so obvious, but it takes a mental note in your head to keep this in mind. Now, do you start to see how the packs will find you?
This is how I plan on dealing with this problem, 100 snares will guard my place. 100 snares sound like a great deal of work, but it really isn't, this could be done in one day. Even a novice can do it in three days, tops. Everyone with me that carries a weapon will kill every dog on sight. This problem has me upset; it is something I should have thought of years ago. I understand nature and why a pack of hungry wolves doesn't scare me like a pack of wild dogs, is quite simply that the wolves are taught to fear man.
I will try to explain this in detail, but the best way is through actual events.
A family is living in the woods. Dad goes off to work on a nice spring day, so mum has her baby on the front porch while she is inside cleaning. The baby was around 18 months old and was just enjoying the sun, when a black bear come up and grabbed the child. The baby started screaming. The mother's instinct took over and she did one of the bravest things I have ever heard off! Armed with a broom, the mother started beating on the bear to make it drop the child. The bear was annoyed and simply ran off into the woods with the child. Mom was immediately on the phone, and before long, the whole town was out there to search for the child.
Luckily there was a pack of trained bear hounds in the area and soon the trail was found. It wasn't long before they found what was left of the child and the bear was ran down and shot. This whole incident happened because the Department of Natural Resources didn't understand nature. The rule is quite simple; you are either a predator or prey. Which do you want to be?
My whole point is to show how nature works. Dogs and man are part of nature, and the rule always applies. God forbid, if TEOTWAWKI does happen, then the rule will apply even more because dogs have no fear of man to begin with and man does not consider dogs as a threat. You will either establish that you are the top predator of your area, or you will be prey.

So in 1,000 words you said;

dogs are dangerous
cats kill small game
post-SHTF kill them on sight when you can
19 September 2013, 16:46,
(19 September 2013, 16:30)Mortblanc Wrote:
(19 September 2013, 15:17)John Wrote:

So in 1,000 words you said;

dogs are dangerous
cats kill small game
post-SHTF kill them on sight when you can

May be I should post a disclaimer with all I post.
I have items on no end of subjects that relate or may relate to prepping in some way that I have been collecting since about 1998. I do not say I agree or disagree with any it.
I just post it so others can see it, that may not have seen it to give them some thoughts to think on.
19 September 2013, 18:17,
I would regard a pack of dogs just as much of a threat as a gang of humans. Using a female decoy by coyotes is well known where my brother lives in Oregon, except here they kill pet dogs. Canines are intelligent creatures, they have to be in order to survive and be successful.

In a TEOTWAWKI scenario, I think it would be very wise to cater for this cos it will happen. Dogs will run in packs and they will end up tasting human flesh. Once that happens there will be no stopping their attempts if they're hungry.

Snaring sounds good, question is, John, do already have snares? If so, where did you get them from and can you post a link? I'd personally avoid poison, if we really do have a bad scenario played out and our food supplies are low then most would want to eat what they kill. Antifreeze sounds like it's very affective. Question is, if a dog dies from antifreeze, does that render it's meat useless? Guns from a safe vantage point sounds good but one day your ammo will run out so best to have something reusable?

Had a quick look on fleabay:

This small kit (too small for dogs?) was issued to American WW2 pilots £16.90 delivered from Germany.

These are real coyote snares from the States £32 delivered and you get a dozen.

From Amazon:
Here 10 x fox wires £39.99 delivered
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!
19 September 2013, 19:29,
(19 September 2013, 18:17)Nix Wrote: Snaring sounds good, question is, John, do already have snares? If so, where did you get them from and can you post a link? I'd personally avoid poison, if we really do have a bad scenario played out and our food supplies are low then most would want to eat what they kill. Antifreeze sounds like it's very affective. Question is, if a dog dies from antifreeze, does that render it's meat useless? Guns from a safe vantage point sounds good but one day your ammo will run out so best to have something reusable?

Had a quick look on fleabay:

This small kit (too small for dogs?) was issued to American WW2 pilots £16.90 delivered from Germany.

These are real coyote snares from the States £32 delivered and you get a dozen.

From Amazon:
Here 10 x fox wires £39.99 delivered

Short of making your own £36 is cheap for fox snares.

I wouldn't bother with the others. Go to your local gun shop and they will have snares at a better price than those.

If you go to the country fairs you can get snares at reasonable prices or kits to make your own.

Poisoning will spoil the meat. Use it for bait for other dogs.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin