Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Yes, that’s a Tampon in my mouth : The Swiss Army Survival Tampon : 7 Survival Uses
19 September 2013, 11:20,
RE: Yes, that’s a Tampon in my mouth
(19 September 2013, 11:14)Scythe13 Wrote:
(19 September 2013, 11:07)BeardyMan Wrote:
(19 September 2013, 11:04)Scythe13 Wrote:
(19 September 2013, 10:53)BeardyMan Wrote:
(18 September 2013, 16:31)Jonas Wrote: DO NOT EVER use a Tampon in a bullet wound! Cotton fibers will get deeply embedded in the wound requiring surgery to remove. Use pads as a clean absorbent pressure dressing.
They expand too, so not really the best place to put a tampon.
Like Highlander, I am under the belief that a tampon makes an ideal bullet wound closure.

The fibres stay together really well...think what they're used for, and how flaking fibres could cause a whole load of issues! They not only absorb a hell of a lot of blood but their expansion seals the wound too. Sterile, and very portable.

What's not to like?
Cause it has to come out at some point, the blood has clotted, you pull the tampon out and open the wound. More bleeding. It's a big no no

I thought it would be more of a 'prop into the top' kind of thing. Not a jam it all the way in. I was thinking at most 1cm into a bullet wound, just so it doesn't pop out.

There's better stuff for that than tampons.
19 September 2013, 11:25,
R : The Swiss Army Survival Tampon : 7 Survival Uses
There probably is better stuff out there, but as a method of blood absorption, and keeping a wound clean,... and the fact that so many can be carried in a very small space, then [ at least in the Falklands war ] they proved their worth.

Not a lot of us would be carrying a full med pack around with us, where as you could quickly stuff 10 or more of these into your top pocket
A major part of survival is invisibility.
19 September 2013, 11:32,
RE: The Swiss Army Survival Tampon : 7 Survival Uses
I've never been into battle but I wouldn't have though that in our situation they would be in long enough to get fibres embedded. Plug the wound and back to base for treatment.

I've heard of people getting toxic shock from Tampons, is that something they put on them? Would that be a concern to us?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 September 2013, 11:32,
RE: R : The Swiss Army Survival Tampon : 7 Survival Uses
(19 September 2013, 11:25)Highlander Wrote: There probably is better stuff out there, but as a method of blood absorption, and keeping a wound clean,... and the fact that so many can be carried in a very small space, then [ at least in the Falklands war ] they proved their worth.

Not a lot of us would be carrying a full med pack around with us, where as you could quickly stuff 10 or more of these into your top pocket

Why not carry the correct stuff for the job, as it's easily accessible now?

I've got thousands of bandages of all shapes and sizes, for the sake of a couple of cubic centimetres I'll pack those and a few celox / quick clot bandages. Much better than fanny plugs
19 September 2013, 11:39,
(19 September 2013, 11:32)Skean Dhude Wrote: I've never been into battle but I wouldn't have though that in our situation they would be in long enough to get fibres embedded. Plug the wound and back to base for treatment.

I've heard of people getting toxic shock from Tampons, is that something they put on them? Would that be a concern to us?

Shock from tampons is from leaving tampons in too long. I've heard a case where a company has employees wearing latex gloves that caused allergic reactions. But not heard toxic shock from poms.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
19 September 2013, 11:43,
BM, I agree but we are exploring ideas for multi use items and looking at how to maximise storage space.

For most uses the correct tool is much better but improvisation is what will improve our survival chances.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 September 2013, 12:20,
RE: R : The Swiss Army Survival Tampon : 7 Survival Uses
(19 September 2013, 11:32)BeardyMan Wrote:
(19 September 2013, 11:25)Highlander Wrote: There probably is better stuff out there, but as a method of blood absorption, and keeping a wound clean,... and the fact that so many can be carried in a very small space, then [ at least in the Falklands war ] they proved their worth.

Why not carry the correct stuff for the job, as it's easily accessible now?

I've got thousands of bandages of all shapes and sizes, for the sake of a couple of cubic centimetres I'll pack those and a few celox / quick clot bandages. Much better than fanny plugs

There is probably a lot of difference between a military use and a civilian use,.. for the soldier on the battlefield, he would rather use a tampon [ or the proper field dressing ] than he would bandages, as often there is little time to wrap bandages over a wound,... a Tampon, like a field dressing is easily teased out and used as a pressure pad

I know that Celox is used in the military,... but I never saw it
A major part of survival is invisibility.