Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm positive that you're negative
25 September 2013, 15:44,
RE: I'm positive that you're negative
I've worked alongside two depressives and every one has dragged everyone down with them before they killed themselves when they hit a specic low. Nice bright people but draining. It is like Anti-Life. It only takes a bit to react..

On a more positive note most people recognise when people are having a bad day and it generally doesn't get talked about. The issue is with people that are negative, even on a bad day, they just suck the life out of you. Even normally positive people feel down after a conversation with a negative person. If they are positive most of the time it works out OK but if they are negative most of the time then soon you will want to top yourself just because you got wet.

I would guess after an event they would destroy any community they were in.

Back to your question though Scyth. Experience suggests that people notice if you are temporarily down and either tell you to buck up or ignore it. No point in mentioning it unless it is based on something such as My hamster died and I feel bummed. At least people know what the issue is and they may give you the sympathy you are after but we handle that now by just telling our pals. Personally, I wouldn't bother for trivial stuff but if it was significant enough I would.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
25 September 2013, 17:19,
Solutions?

Other than drugs, alcohol, inviting them to play in the motorway, handing them a short piece of old rope or using them as permanent point man in your patrols.

Anyone ever consider that SHTF might be a good time for an honest and straight foreword approach?

"If you can't contribute something positive shut the f%^k up!"

Yes, you are allowed to say that to your MIL while sheltering in place waiting for the nuclear fall-out to evaporate.

I faced this problem in the military many times, it is generally referred too as "bad morale" and it is infectious. In spite of todays reliance on counseling and coping in the military the same system is still used in combat units.

First they got a pep talk,
then a change your attitude "or else",
finally the "If you want something to b!$ch about we can furnish that",

After that they wound up with ever crap detail or dangerous situation that had to be dealt with and their peers shied away from them to disassociate themselves from the inevitable outcome.

And no, we did not announce what we were doing as we went along, it was/is simply part of the system.
25 September 2013, 17:23,
yup....keep em busy and if you didn't care to much for them in the first place then keep em busy at the sharp end.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
25 September 2013, 17:50,
(25 September 2013, 17:23)Midnitemo Wrote: yup....keep em busy and if you didn't care to much for them in the first place then keep em busy at the sharp end.

"if you didn't care too much for them in the first place", why have anything to do with them?, sounds counter productive.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
25 September 2013, 17:55,
(25 September 2013, 17:50)bigpaul Wrote:
(25 September 2013, 17:23)Midnitemo Wrote: yup....keep em busy and if you didn't care to much for them in the first place then keep em busy at the sharp end.

"if you didn't care too much for them in the first place", why have anything to do with them?, sounds counter productive.

you can't choose who's in your troop/squad/section/stick/company
25 September 2013, 18:00,
(25 September 2013, 17:55)Midnitemo Wrote:
(25 September 2013, 17:50)bigpaul Wrote:

you can't choose who's in your troop/squad/section/stick/company

I see what you mean! I never did "suffer fools gladly"Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
25 September 2013, 18:02,
its just the way its done...every intake has its very own private pyle...the directing staff very quickly way up who he is and from that point on he's fecked.....nobody in the intake wants to be him...he is a tool to demonstrate what its like to be an outsider...occasionally by some fluke or sheer determination these people make it through to the regiment/corp thats when they get put at the sharp end if they don't stop whining/bitching and fecking up....they don't stay long one way or another.
25 September 2013, 18:08,
I had a friend who was a paranoid schizophrenic , I tried to help him, we had been friends for 30 years, but everytime I told him what to do(to solve this or that problem) he'd go and do the exact opposite, I guess you just cant help some people and I gave up. I got remarried, moved away and lost contact.
25 September 2013, 18:18, (This post was last modified: 25 September 2013, 18:20 by Midnitemo.)
I don't really understand it as i don't think i've ever suffered it but friends tell me its a real blight to your life, have a friend now who is manic depresive/paranoid and bi polar....its awful.

on a really good day you woldn't know ...on a bad day he wouldn't make it out of bed.

how thats gonna work during an event god only knows
25 September 2013, 18:46,
Everyone seems to be talking `individuals` yet if you are a member of a team or group then I am not sure if there should be such a thing as an individual.

In a shtf situation I would expect everyone to act as a group and be 100% trusting of everyone else,.. so if you are feeling down, sad, happy or hungry, then everyone should know about it.

To be someone who keeps something to themselves, no matter how small that might be is to either miss trust the others, or think that they would do something that you would disprove of if you were to mention it

A group will need to gel well in order to survive, a number of people must become as close to one as possible, everyone must be trusting to each other, if one person feels down then the group rally around and sort that out,... there will be no room for individuals
A major part of survival is invisibility.