Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Multi-purpose tools.
5 October 2013, 23:35,
RE: Multi-purpose tools.
Does it all work how you planned? looks like a cool tool....maybe you should think of marketing it or maybe licencing the design to another manufacturer.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
6 October 2013, 00:55,
I use it now and again. It is great for cutting through beef ribs in one blow - for the dogs to eat, a job it was originally designed for so I am not surprised. I have found it pretty ok in other respects and surely indestructible in normal use. I would have liked the prybar end to be a bit thicker/stronger but it is the original thickness. This thickness is ok though for lighter jobs and has some benefits being thinner (and lighter) The carrying of it is great and much more stable than carrying a head heavy axe about. Digging is ok as long as you keep your foot firmly on the back grip cut edge. Any slip here could be a serious issue - BUT this was known about before the final design and was deemed to be safe enough if it was taken into account and care used - a bit like using a knife..
Obviously it is not in the same genre as a leatherman multitool, because it is intended for different tasks. Overall the multi utility function of combining other tools into one is good. the weight saving is excellent. The actual encumbrance reduction instead of separate tools is excellent (separate tools of which I would not be able to satisfactorily carry them all due to weight & encumbrance). The probability of tool failure is majorly reduced by having only the one and by its single forged piece of steel design with integral handle.
The saws work really well - due to the long handle. this gives reach and power if needed, sort of a cross between a bow saw and a hack saw:-). The cut is done on the reverse stroke which works well and is an ancient proved method. I believe it is much less likely to buckle blades this way, which is again much more likely with the hacksaw blades. I have not used the hacksaw blades since my initial trial as I do not wish to disassemble part of the handle to retrieve them unless necessary. The blades are quality bi-metal items though and I have used the type in my normal hacksaw frame without any problems.
The hook has proved useful for pulling branches towards me and for hanging the tool up when not in use.
I have not used the tool extensively and have to be careful taking it out in public and frightening everyone to death - even at bushcraft shows, lol. I expect to get more use out of it next year. It really will come into its own in a PSHTF scenario when I do not have to worry as much about upsetting the neighbours and I expect that as it looks to be an entrenching tool when holstered, then it will not be too intimidating or threatening compared to other items people may be carrying about under those circumstances. This was also a pre design consideration. The shaft hangs close by the left side rear of the leg and also can be tied to the leg so that it moves with the leg and so is far less apparent or not visible directly from the front at first sight. The head sits higher than an axe or sword would conventionally and so the handle does not hang as low. this also minimizes the visual impact. The holster has a quick release pull toggle and the tool can be brought out in one upward sweep if necessary. These little things are all factors that add up to the whole throughout the history of weapon/utility design, so they are interesting & important to me in my studies:-)
There is far too much work in it for it to be commercially viable. As a one off bespoke commission, then yes it is possible. I would have to start by tracking down an original large suitable & quality cleaver and that may take a little time first. A commercial operation could turn these out, made by machine, but they would be out of one homogenous piece of steel, rather than an original role specific grade of soft back with carbon steel hardened edges, so to start off with it would not be of the same quality( also the tempering of the single type steel would need to be differential towards the edge and possibly at other parts of the multitool. The design would likely be "stamped out or laser cut and is unlikely to be forged by a commercial operation. Axes can be as they are relatively simple, but to forge and reshape this multi tool, then the cost would be far higher. I expect a commercial operation would simplify the process all round. The production cost with material would be high and the market would be only a niche one with very limited take up. It has been tried before with commercial grade examples and has not been a success. The best bet is for one off commissions for only seriously interested individuals or D.I.Y. TL.
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
6 October 2013, 14:40,
HAGRID......Tongue
Survive the jive (youtube )
6 October 2013, 16:37,
YES? you called??Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 October 2013, 18:26,
WinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWink
Survive the jive (youtube )
7 October 2013, 15:42,
In building building a volunteer search and rescue team I am shopping for a tomahawk type of utility tool for each guy. Toting a full-sized Halligan tool around sucks and you cant split wood with it for a fire. So, it needs to be super lightweight and is primarily used for busting out windows to gain entry into half destroyed buildings. In wide area searches it needs to double as a hatchet to split timber to get to some dry lumber or to build an "A-frame." There is a hundred different utility uses for such a tool, but those are the two primary uses. I was looking at the Estwing Black Eagle tactical hawk and a bunch of others. In my searches i came across a guy that builds tomahawks out of Estwing carpenters hatchets. I dont know for sure that it is the tool that I am looking, for because of the weight, it sure is cool and the price is right as well. Any metal workers on board who can surmise which grinding wheels and machine tools he used to do this? Please look it over.

http://www.personalarmament.com/2011/05/...ahawk.html

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
7 October 2013, 16:29,
The stanley Fubar has to be a major contender in the multi tool game,

Its a hammer, a prybar, a deadly weapon, you can actually smash up pallets with the jaw end of it, brilliant tool....

Even my humble condor bushlore can be used as a hammer, a spear, a knife, a shovel, a striker for firesteels etc.

I've got a multitool i got for xmas about 10 years ago, from Next. apart from the hinges getting a bit loose, its never broken, its come in very handy over the years.

true, it's better to have the right tools for the right job, but i'd rather have a multi tool than nothing.
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
7 October 2013, 16:37,
Yeah i have real urge to get one...deffo on my list the model with the 18 inch handle...the 15 inch looks just a tad short for my 6ft 3, 18st bulk.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
7 October 2013, 21:35, (This post was last modified: 7 October 2013, 21:36 by Timelord.)
(7 October 2013, 15:42)CharlesHarris Wrote: In building building a volunteer search and rescue team I am shopping for a tomahawk type of utility tool for each guy. Toting a full-sized Halligan tool around sucks and you cant split wood with it for a fire. So, it needs to be super lightweight and is primarily used for busting out windows to gain entry into half destroyed buildings. In wide area searches it needs to double as a hatchet to split timber to get to some dry lumber or to build an "A-frame." There is a hundred different utility uses for such a tool, but those are the two primary uses. I was looking at the Estwing Black Eagle tactical hawk and a bunch of others. In my searches i came across a guy that builds tomahawks out of Estwing carpenters hatchets. I dont know for sure that it is the tool that I am looking, for because of the weight, it sure is cool and the price is right as well. Any metal workers on board who can surmise which grinding wheels and machine tools he used to do this? Please look it over.

http://www.personalarmament.com/2011/05/...ahawk.html

The carpenters axe profile is fine as it is for the job you intend it for. In fact it is much more useful with the hammer head and the nail puller. This will enable breaking windows and partition walls with ease. It is also good for building expedient wooden structures. Carry a few large nails with it and also the nail puller can be used to dismantle wooden stuff to be able to reconfigure it and reuse existing nails. Putting a back spike on an axe is fine for a battle axe as it is primarily designed for piercing armour. I do not think this will be a requirement of your rescue teams - anyway, the hammer head would do a pretty decent job on its own.lol. The main blade profile does not need to be cut back as we are not living in times of material scarcity and therefore these axe's were not specified to be of minimal design. I would make sure whichever one is chosen, has the handle/tang running all the way through the handle. I suspect the leather bound one is constructed like this and possibly the others. The length of the axe is ideal for the role you intend and can be carried easily. It is approximately the same size as an original "firemans" axe which were used for many years. These Firemans axes were in fact reissued naval boarding axes from the 18th & 19th centuries that had lain around in armouries for generations. They finally became obsolete for the fire services as well and can be bought on the 2nd hand market cheaply. They do however have a horizontal cut back spike and therefore are not as suited to the role you intend as the ones you have suggested. regards, TL. ( I would practice chopping wood with a decent branded one first to realise its limitations. It will be ok for splitting and light chopping jobs only)

Super light weight does not equate well with wood splitting/chopping and window busting. At best it will have to be a compromise or it will not perform adequately.
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
8 October 2013, 00:09,
I am inclined to buy the axes as produced and leave modification to those users who are suitably skilled to do so. I agree that anything departing from the original design intent as a utility tool, progressing towards a "weapon" isn't needed, is more likely to "scare the natives" and brings into question the motivation of the user. However, I am retired now and functioning as an unpaid civilian auxiliary volunteer, and the paid full-time personnel of the "authority having jurisdiction" will say what is allowed. Some of them are recently discharged military with Iraq and Afghanistan experience, but as good as that may be, I fear that it clouds their thinking. I observed that in my own generation in the mid 1970s. But as you know very well, the youngsters believe they know everything and they tend to ignore the wisdom of those who have gone before.

The Lord is my pilot, I shall not go adrift;
He lighteth my passage across dark channels;
He steereth me through the deep waters,
He keepeth my log.

He guideth me by the evening star for my safety's sake.
Yes, though I sail mid the thunders and tempests of life,
I fear no peril, for Thou art with me,
Thy stars and heavens, they comfort me.
The vastness of the sea upholds me.

Surely fair winds and safe harbors shall be found
All the days of my life;
And I shall dock, secure forever.
Amen.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA