Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Required Skills
6 October 2013, 05:50,
RE: Required Skills
My take on this is that everyone should develop proficiency in starting a fire by more than one method, without matches, use an axe to cut firewood and to build a shelter. Use a knife to cut poles, split kindling, make small game and fish traps, clean fish, dress game.
Navigate with map and compass. Be able to establish direction using improvised methods, without a compass, walk a straight course to a landmark, diverting around terrain bsriers and returning to original course. Build a hide to shelter. Use of debris and natural insulation. Primitive fishing and trapping methods. Ground to air signals for rescue and IFF.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
6 October 2013, 08:18,
Gardening and farming methods. I'm bugging in so need to be able to produce food and right now i can abrely keep my house plants alive.
6 October 2013, 18:31,
I need to learn how to keep bees. Life is nicer with honey, it's also a useful wound treatment.
7 October 2013, 01:55,
(5 October 2013, 19:04)Skean Dhude Wrote: What single skill, that you do not yet have, do you consider most critical to your prepping?

There are many areas in which I know what to do and even how to do it but lack current practice that would allow me say I have those skills up to date but the one area in which I really lack - and which is most crucial to me now - is the ability to persuade my wife to embrace preparedness particularly as, since my disability, she has controlled the purse strings - very tightly! Smile

Those preparations I have been able to start, amount to, well, not a lot, when I can't put my grubby mitts on a bit of cash to even get started on just one week's supply for us. (Although I have been given an idea by a good friend on a way to at least get started...)

7 October 2013, 03:31,
Anesthesiology and general surgery.

That and I want to run the steam train.
7 October 2013, 06:36,
(5 October 2013, 23:23)Midnitemo Wrote: My most obvious defficiency(there are many)is my absolute lack of knowledge with plants and gardening/foraging....bought a recommended plant recognition book,taken it on a couple of woodland walks and i'm still none the wiser.

Yeah i'll add myself to that one too,

I've a long way to go with learning about wild ediibles
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....