Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Number of threads
26 October 2013, 10:44,
RE: Number of threads
(26 October 2013, 00:53)Timelord Wrote:
(25 October 2013, 09:01)NorthernRaider Wrote: Its not the politics, moderation or forum owner who have ruined the forum.

What is ruined about the forum?

Pah, poor choice of words on my behalf, I meant to say theres nothing wrong with the forum or structure or rules. if a forum gets quieter and quieter its usually because there are less and less relevent or interesting topics being postsed to interest the members or attract new members. I think SD has the construct of the forum just about right, ergo as I should have worded better " its not the forum thats the problem"

26 October 2013, 15:22,
A forum is made up of a variety of people, and all those people have different habits and behavior patterns. All types of forums have a cycle of activity. Several of the forums I belong to are 10-15 years old and even though they have thousands of members they go through definite and obvious cycles.

Outdoor forums tend to go dead in the warmer months of the summer.

Hunting/firearms forums tend to go dead during hunting season.

Camping forums are also weather associated. People go to the woods to get away from the computer.

Survival/prepping forums tend to go calm when social/financial conditions are relatively good and no one gives a crap.

In the summer I post mostly in the afternoon due to the heat limiting my outside activities.

At this time of year I post mostly in the morning while waiting for the sun to warm my world.

I tend to disappear on weekends for camping trips and sometimes for a couple of days mid-week now that hunting season is in full swing.

When I was working I often could not post or observe forums due to the pressures of the work load.

I also do not ask questions, post threads or comment on topics/links/equipment that have been covered once every two weeks and have gotten the same replies consistently, or better yet different replies from the same people.

The problem might just be the contents of the vessel and not the vessel.

Or as one of my moderator friends on a very successful wilderness survival forum always states just before closing/locking these "dead forum threads".

"If you think things are slow or boring ask a question or post a thread!"
26 October 2013, 18:32,
I would like to think that once discussion stops on a thread, it means that the subject has been covered well and that the frequently asked questions answered competently. There is no further need to belabour the obvious.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
27 October 2013, 01:22,
Since you guys have let me join this forum I am going to really add to it. So Im going to ask a question on every forum and Im going to try and answer as many questions a possible.

I will also try and bring new members here too.
27 October 2013, 01:53,
(26 October 2013, 15:22)Mortblanc Wrote: "If you think things are slow or boring ask a question or post a thread!"

Liked that...

27 October 2013, 15:10,
Good well thought out replies. It is also possible that perceived forum quietness is due to better use being made of the search facility by newer members to find quality info previously discussed rather than reposting the same questions over and over. Some experienced members can lose interest in replying to the same questions repeatedly and some of these experienced members then find that their own knowledge base is becoming stagnant and so they chase other forums on their "grazing" quest :-). This can result in less experienced/studious answers being taken as read by new members - which is to the enquirers and forums and movement's own detriment. It should be emblazoned in large bold flashing words across the intro pages to use the search facility first before asking questions - then any questions that are posted will hopefully progress the subject matter onward rather than repeat previously posted info.. Regards, TL.
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
27 October 2013, 15:28,
I blame immigrants, possibly the labour government. This wouldn't have happened if we voted ukip. Now if you'll excuse me I need to talk about the NSA and patriot act as well as some American politics.
27 October 2013, 16:02,
Unfortunately I probably have a chunk of hereditary "English" genes in my DNA which makes me a hereditary part immigrant to this nation of "Britannia". Sorry.. :-)
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
27 October 2013, 16:06,
you should be so lucky!(not that its got anything to do with the subject title) my birth father(who I never knew...) was an American G.I. Big Grin and here am I a staunch ENGLISH Nationalist!!!!Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 October 2013, 17:17,
French but a very long time ago...don't hold it against me!
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!