Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Number of threads
25 October 2013, 10:23,
RE: Number of threads
(24 October 2013, 20:13)Scythe13 Wrote: Okay, I'm just going to ask something that I'm pretty curious about.

How come so few people are asking questions on the forum and so few people are posting threads?

Well if there's something you want to know about agriculture for example, but pick whatever subject you want, then this isn't the best place to ask. You would find people who are educated in that area, and ask them.

Same with any project / interest you have.
25 October 2013, 10:31,
(25 October 2013, 09:01)NorthernRaider Wrote: Its not the politics, moderation or forum owner who have ruined the forum.

i feel ya brother.
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
25 October 2013, 12:16,
some things in the news are a threat and we should talk about it , not everything ie posh n becks ect .
people who have fallen out on this site many have moved to the new one and seem [tuch wood ] to be getting on fine.
i for one dont want to see this site go down the pan / adapt and survive...? Smile
Survive the jive (youtube )
25 October 2013, 14:35,
I belong to several forums scattered all over the world. Some are survival oriented and some are pure bushcraft, homesteading, self sufficiency and/or outdoor forums. What I see is that the more skills oriented the forum the ore successful it is. The more sensational and pessimistic the forum is the faster is goes down hill.

The most successful of them do not allow discussion or posting of news articles or links to news or blog sites. Some do not allow discussion of fantasy or apocalyptic orientated threads. Others even ban the use of specific words or abbreviations, and they are very successful.

Just before I logged in here this morning I was on another site where more than 300+ people were on line, about 25 were members and the rest "guests".

When I come here I always note that there are 12-15 people on line, 2 or 3 are usually members and the others "guests".

"Guests" usually wind up somewhere because they are in the midst of a google search of some subject. It they find what they seek they read for a while. It they lie the content they might even joint the forum, contribute and learn. If the pickings are slim or not worthy of note they click to another site within moments.

The last thing most of them want are links to other sites they already found with the google search, news articles, sensational questions with no answers or rambling threads with nonsensical advice.

The problem is not the old blood that leaves pissed off due to being moderated for breaking the set rules, that happens on every forum, it is the lack of new blood to ask questions and provide growth.

Better to wonder why hundreds are not joining rather than morn the loss of a half dozen.
25 October 2013, 16:29,
I am outside guest here, so you may disagree or offer criticism and I will not be offended.

In the US many of us have concerns regarding the direction our country is headed. Without belaboring the political arguements and reasons, suffice to say that the demographic changes are beyond our control, and the will of the people appears to be that we become more like Europe and less like the USA that I grew up in. Our freedoms are being infringed, we are living in what is increasingly becoming a police state, and while our situation may not seem unusual to you in the UK, those over age 50 are worried that their dollar based assets will become worthless and that the comfortable retirement we had planned for is not to be.

My perception, which may differ from your reality, so correct me if I am wrong, is that you have two generations of a head start on this road. The changes we are seeing in the US today started post WW2 in Britain, and you have evolved and survived. Whether you have thrived or not I leave to your judgement.

The point is that I am here to learn from you, so speed up my acceptance of our new reality, and to get on with life. I am trying to hang onto my current lifestyle the best as I can, but many factors will be beyond my control. In the meantime I hope that some things I have learned from my disaster work experience may be helpful to readers here.

I find the content of this forum refreshing and without "drama." My perception is that you should focus on sharing what has worked and what has not, brainstorm ideas, and always stress quality over quantity. Less is sometimes more.

Mortblanc has it right.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
25 October 2013, 20:27,
Well, speaking personally, I've not been online much because I've been very busy. It's tidy up and shutdown time in the garden, and we've had builders in, etc. etc. No time to sit on a computer, but here I am. Hi all!

I think you have to bear in mind that there are only so many questions on subjects that can be asked. Speaking personally (again), I tend to browse postings that interest me and will ask questions if I feel I need further information. There are only so many posts I'm going to read on crossbows and such, and I would never add any comments because they don't relate to my situation. I have my way of doing things and tend to try and stick with the info I need accordingly.

It's a shame that no discussion is allowed on current/global matters because some bear talking about, but that is SD's decision and it's his Forum.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
25 October 2013, 21:08,
Well for me I find this site very useful.Granted it's the only prepping site I've joined,but I continue to learn something new every day.I only post when I feel I have some (hopefully useful input) .I do worry that I'm only posting on guns/bows and such,but to be honest that's the most experience I have (typical child of the 70's when that was still seen as normal healthy activity for a young lad) .I do miss Northern Raider's posts ,but I read the other member's post's more experienced then me in day to day prepping and continue to learn.
the every day prepping posts I find are invaluable,and if I do post I always do with some trepidation (I feel like I come off as an internet gun nut to be honest) Sad
26 October 2013, 00:53,
(25 October 2013, 09:01)NorthernRaider Wrote: Its not the politics, moderation or forum owner who have ruined the forum.

What is ruined about the forum?
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
26 October 2013, 03:46,
(26 October 2013, 00:53)Timelord Wrote:

What is ruined about the forum?

From what I can see, apart from a one or two (almost inevitable) personality clashes, nothing has ruined it. It has rules, yes but I can live with those. Since joining the Forum in April of this year, I've seen busy periods and slack ones but it always moves on. It still gives me exactly what I need - contact and information - and it gets my thanks for it.

26 October 2013, 10:32,
Good question.

The way I see it, it's all down to the right atmosphere. If you get the odd one or two who promote a negative atmosphere by being obsessively pig headed or critical then some good posters are going to shy away. It's not rocket science. Rolleyes

Personally, I see joining this site as a natural progression of stages. First stage is obviously joining the forum in the first place as a way to initiate a connection with others and share information. It's a virtual world but it works.

Second stage, if you're like me who believes that small like minded groups/communities are the way to survival in bad SHTF scenarios, would be to meet up and connect with others within a certain radius of where you live. It's a natural progression and forms more of a real world experience.

Further stages would involve day/night/weekends bugging out to test a whole lot of theory!

Ultimately this would lead to forming solid relationships where there's help, trust, openess and extra security for you and yours. Part of the nature of prepping is to be secretive about the extent of your preparations. Meeting up face to face lowers the barriers and allows progression.

Final stage would vary depending on who you are and how you want to live.

This is a good forum packed full of information and a golden opportunity to get together with like minded people. Not joined any other SHTF forums at this stage, don't feel I need to! Shy
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!