Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Government Evacuation in Times of War/National Emergency
1 November 2013, 17:06,
RE: Government Evacuation in Times of War/National Emergency
(1 November 2013, 16:05)bigpaul Wrote:
(1 November 2013, 15:59)River Song Wrote: No - Sugar/Sweeties were rationed until July 1954

i'm pretty sure they were taken off the ration in time for the coronation RS, so the kiddies could have sweets, or at least that's what my mother always said, I was 5 at the time.

5th February 1953: Sweet rationing ends in Britain
Children all over Britain have been emptying out their piggy-banks and heading straight for the nearest sweet-shop as the first unrationed sweets went on sale today.
Toffee apples were the biggest sellers, with sticks of nougat and liquorice strips also disappearing fast.

Sugar itself, though, still remains rationed, and manufacturers say the Ministry of Food should have freed sugar supplies as well as those of sweets and chocolate.

De-rationing of sugar in September 1953, partly as a result of pressure from sweet manufacturers, and finally ended rationing when meat was taken off the ration books in July 1954.

4th July 1954: Housewives celebrate end of rationing
Fourteen years of food rationing in Britain ended at midnight when restrictions on the sale and purchase of meat and bacon were lifted.

AND I still have my National ID card duly stamped by GPO.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Government Evacuation in Times of War/National Emergency - by John - 1 November 2013, 17:06