Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Blackout - Full Version
31 October 2013, 23:26,
RE: American Blackout - Full Version
(31 October 2013, 20:40)Rush2112 Wrote: I watched the show the other night, thought it was entertaining if not overly dramatic. In the scenario presented it was some unknown terrorist group that hacked the power supply. In that scenario I think most people would realize that there will be a return of rule of law and act accordingly. Just a minor critique.

Yeah, the couple in the high rise NY apartment were the most ridiculous. To me the worst case were those in the elevator. But the most interesting to me was the prepper family that bugged out. The prepper handled the situation with his neighbor all wrong and guaranteed that he would be attacked at some point. (ofcourse the boyfriend acted like an ass too). Here's how I would have handled the situation with the neighbor asking for food: "man, I was just coming to ask you the same thing- we've got a little to last a few days. Here's a few cans, hopefully power's back on soon or else we're all in trouble, huh?" IMO, by threating extreme violence but not carrying through, he let the neighbor know that yes he does have enough stores to kill over. So by letting him go on his way pissed off without food, he was putting everyone at risk. He even had extra "decoy" food just for that purpose! No, instead he flashed his gun around like a big shot, as if he's the only one that has a firearm.
Don't know if you have seen the UK one about the same type of event? Do I notice a common factor here? in both of these the prepper (although well intentioned) is portrayed as ineffective (in the UK version), so in other words don't even bother trying it as you will just get robbed. And a gun toting loon (in the US version), so in other words all preppers are of this mentality and are dangerous and not to be trusted. Deliberate media demonisation of preppers or just conspiracy theory? I wonder...
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
31 October 2013, 23:43,
I think it was too late to pretend they didnt have anything, so I agree with you in that he had two viable options. Trying to appease him or kill him on the spot. (this is the context of the scenario presented) What I didnt like in particular was the threat and then sending him along. Either try to be friendly or kill him.

my favourite line was her husband explaining to the camera how this was simply not acceptable and he is going to sue.

S13: sorry for the spoiler, i thought it was basically the same show that was made first in the UK. apologies all around

lawAbiding: no i didnt see the original version. but i do think it is a deliberate portrayal of sensible people wanting some small amount of security (preppers) as crazy.
1 November 2013, 00:10,
It's on nat Geo Monday night
Luck Favours the Prepared Incredibles
1 November 2013, 09:12,
(1 November 2013, 00:10)PreparednessUK Wrote: It's on nat Geo Monday night
So it is,..thanks.... just after `Doomsday 2010`
A major part of survival is invisibility.
2 November 2013, 00:55,
thanks for posting enjoyed it
Survive the jive (youtube )
2 November 2013, 11:07,
Thanks for the link. Watched it last night with the wife.

Sadly still no joy on getting her on board though. Her words were along the lines of "what's the point if you end up getting robbed & losing it all?"

Does anyone else have any links to similar programs like this? I'll keep making her watch them with me & 1 day hopefully it'll have the desired effect. Just hope it's before anything happens
2 November 2013, 14:06,
(2 November 2013, 11:07)Geordie_Rob Wrote: Thanks for the link. Watched it last night with the wife.

Sadly still no joy on getting her on board though. Her words were along the lines of "what's the point if you end up getting robbed & losing it all?"

Does anyone else have any links to similar programs like this? I'll keep making her watch them with me & 1 day hopefully it'll have the desired effect. Just hope it's before anything happens

its always a shame when someone OH isn't on board, makes it twice as difficult, thankfully my wife was brought up off grid until she was 11 so is totally on board. all you can do is keep trying, watch as much as you can, get some prepping books and get her to read them, show her as much as you can online and just keep plugging away, sort of "drip feed" effect!! Big Grin one day she'll "get it".
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
2 November 2013, 14:40,
(2 November 2013, 14:06)bigpaul Wrote: get some prepping books and get her to read them

Unless it's the latest glossy mag with the latest fad diets, this celeb is marrying that celeb etc.. she wouldn't even touch it. It's very frustrating at times. She's the perfect wife for everything else Wink but just won't even entertain prepping. All I can hope for is a widespread power cut this winter (about 8-12hrs, starting in the afternoon/evening should do it for her. I hope). Then I can show her how useful the calor gas heaters, tea light candles, camping stoves etc.. that I already have, really are.
2 November 2013, 15:03,
forget the title "Prepping", you could try explaining that its insurance, people have motor insurance, house insurance even life insurance, what about insurance against power cuts, fuel strikes, empty shelves in the supermarkets? I have known people that prep for illness, unemployment and other such things.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 November 2013, 04:20,
(2 November 2013, 11:07)Geordie_Rob Wrote: Sadly still no joy on getting her on board though. Her words were along the lines of "what's the point...

Apologies for being off-topic but the point has already been raised...

You have my sympathies Rob, I know how hard it is to get through to SWMBO. Sometimes, mine will give me a wee ray of hope, by pointing something out that would be useful or by doing something like buying two of something on offer, so that I can put one by - then at other times, she'll poke a hole in the balloon with something like, "This is your thing, not mine!" or "We don't have money to waste on..."

The best advice I can give you is, don't quit but don't push too hard either. If yours is anything like mine, as soon as she thinks she's being persuaded, the heels dig in like crampons and that only makes it harder!

BP - 'drip-feed' is probably the way to go but I might correct you with, "One day, she might get it..."