Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holidays
31 October 2013, 00:00,
RE: Holidays
Thanks Gizmo.

(30 October 2013, 12:14)bigpaul Wrote: we're both Pagans- we don't DO Christmas.

We are not interested in that bit of info. It didn't add anything and certainly didn't answer the question. The question was about holidays in general not just Xmas.

So you don't add anything why comment? You don't get prizes for the most comments you have.

I've deleted all the posts.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
31 October 2013, 00:59,
Whenever I travel I have my BOB with me.

When selecting gifts for people who do not prep, I bring a safety-related gift which is generally useful.

Children get a whistle and small blinking LED light which can be worn around the neck.

Teen age girls get a bright colorful bandana which is imprinted with safety information, in addition to the above.

The Lady of the House (aka She Who Must Be Obeyed) gets a 2 lb. ABC dry chemical fire extinguisher with mounting bracket for the kitchen, a first aid booklet and household first aid kit.

The Dad gets a BIG flashlight, batteries, and a multi-tool.

The Family, as a group gets a safety-preparedness book from this list:

http://preparednessadvice.com/suggested-...nGcCXCkqs0

During my visit I discreetly take notes on ideas for future gifts which are "thoughtful" but not pushy.

Basic home safety is an easy sell. Everyone who knows me is aware that is what I did for a living, so they accept that as being part of me, rather than "Gee, isn't Uncle Ed just a bit strange??????"

I have found it a good dinner conversation starter. I share a personal experience, and talk about how I learned to Be Prepared as a Boy Scout, and how continuing that mindset has been helpful in normal life experience.

You don't need to dwell on the end of the world, space alien invasion or nuclear war. Encourage discussion of what constitutes reality for them, "OMG the battery on my iPod went dead and there is NOTHING to do! What a DISASTER!"

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
31 October 2013, 10:49, (This post was last modified: 31 October 2013, 10:50 by River Song.)
Charles

If I was your "lady of the house" and you gave me a fire extinguisher, I'd hit you over the head with it. I want Chocolate and silk underwear. My Giddy Aunt. Is there romance amongst preppers?

...... is there NO romance amongst preppers .....
31 October 2013, 13:29,
He'd probably give you fire resistant pants :-).