Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who knew?
4 November 2013, 12:50,
RE: Who knew?
(4 November 2013, 00:11)Scythe13 Wrote: So far I'm impressed that even though there are only 2 comments, that neither has called me an idiot, but both have offered helpful ideas. Cheers lads!

You're welcome matey.
The way I look at it is - at least you're trying to better yourself!
I'd rather be a foolish wise man than someone who does nothing.
Building up the tolerance more purposely and with less speed is the way to go.

Cheers Juice.
walk outside the box
4 November 2013, 13:34, (This post was last modified: 4 November 2013, 13:35 by Geordie_Rob.)
I was told years ago by my biology teacher (after refusing to take off my non school-issue sweater on the basis of I may catch a cold) that body temperature had no effect on if you caught a cold or not. Obviously I'm not an expert but I would've thought the colder you were, the less effective your body's defences would be. 15 years later, I still don't know what to belive Huh

(4 November 2013, 13:34)Geordie_Rob Wrote: I was told years ago by my biology teacher (after refusing to take off my non school-issue sweater on the basis of I may catch a cold) that body temperature had no effect on if you caught a cold or not. Obviously I'm not an expert but I would've thought the colder you were, the less effective your body's defences would be. 15 years later, I still don't know what to belive Huh

Believe even.
4 November 2013, 16:40,
It's not a cold temperature that gives you a cold, cold air is probably better as it is harsher to the viruses floating around in suspended droplets. Rather it's being stuck up in doors in the coldre months, often with other people.

I start off with a cold shower now; I just get in before the water warms up, use the hot to clean myself and then end with a cold shower as well. I glow with heat all day.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
7 November 2013, 00:12,
Cold and Flu are infections which are passed on by others. If you aren't exposed to these carriers you wont get ill, temperature has nothing to do with it.

Cold water therapy has been practiced by a number of nations to build up the immune system:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cold-water-therapy/

I always have a "James Bond" shower in the mornings, this is also advocated by Lofty Wiseman.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/01/18...-vitality/

Given the amount of people am dealing with each day (and proper hand hygiene!!!), it can help mate.

Ter
7 November 2013, 00:34,
(4 November 2013, 00:11)Scythe13 Wrote: So far I'm impressed that even though there are only 2 comments, that neither has called me an idiot, but both have offered helpful ideas. Cheers lads!

Did you set out to be called an idiot?

Being cold does not give you a cold. Rhinoviruses cause cold.

You would have to be very run down for being cold to be a contributory factor in catching a cold. Long term stress, cancer, aids or other auto immune disease.
7 November 2013, 08:06,
I saw a thing on telly a few years ago about a guy that swims in the sea every day of the year

Doing this has created a "brown" fat layer, apparently healthy fat, the same kind a baby has at birth.

Brown fat is a great insulator, even tho the guy looked like a chub, it was only under his skin, not around his organs etc.
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
7 November 2013, 19:44,
(7 November 2013, 00:34)BDG Wrote: Did you set out to be called an idiot?

Not at all. I'm just pleased that people recognise what I'm trying to do and have responded positively.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin