Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urban 'flint knapping' arrow heads.
9 November 2013, 12:14,
RE: Urban 'flint knapping' arrow heads.
WOOOAH a second guys. Like SD said, some want to learn and some don't. So it's fine for Steve to have that view point.

I'm not going to say I agree or disagree. If you never use this skill, it's no more benefit than learning ballet (at least ballet keeps you fit, healthy, flexible, and justifies that collection of leotards HL has in his wardrobe...you can even see them if you look carefully in his mega-cache pics haha). So I can't disagree with where Steve is coming from. In your situation mate, you're probably right.

But for me, I am learning the skills that would allow me to run off into the woods (about 100 meters from the house, as the closest lot, but that wouldn't be my destination). Are there deer there? No. They are further afield. But there are rabbits and the alike. So, as a result of this situation, I'd be pretty happy knowing that I could make arrow heads that are more effective than just sharp sticks.

Let's say I was TheFalcon, over in London. Would this skill be useful? Well, if I intended to stay in London, I'd at least be able to make sharp arrow heads and put them on the end of sticks to cause some real damage, more than just the stick itself. But that wouldn't be ideal. I'd rather bug out and get away from the city, over towards a more rural area. In that situation, walking along with a load of bows and arrows will make a lot of noise, and weigh me down. I'd much rather be able to get out quickly, then know I could make tools when I got to the destination. If I was staying in place, I think there would be better options than making an arrow head out of glass, e.g. stealing a car and driving it through a person's face. But if I intended to skill-up and learn to survive hunter-gatherer style, then I'd be pleased I had this skill, and that I didn't have to make a super hot furnace and things like that.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin

Messages In This Thread
Urban 'flint knapping' arrow heads. - by Scythe13 - 7 November 2013, 23:01
RE: Urban 'flint knapping' arrow heads. - by bigpaul - 8 November 2013, 10:45
RE: Urban 'flint knapping' arrow heads. - by Steve - 8 November 2013, 11:50
RE: Urban 'flint knapping' arrow heads. - by Steve - 8 November 2013, 14:56
RE: Urban 'flint knapping' arrow heads. - by bigpaul - 8 November 2013, 15:07
RE: Urban 'flint knapping' arrow heads. - by bigpaul - 8 November 2013, 12:47
RE: Urban 'flint knapping' arrow heads. - by Talon - 8 November 2013, 21:28
RE: Urban 'flint knapping' arrow heads. - by Steve - 8 November 2013, 22:38
RE: Urban 'flint knapping' arrow heads. - by bigpaul - 9 November 2013, 11:04