Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Paranoia real, bad, or what?
11 November 2013, 20:38,
RE: Is Paranoia real, bad, or what?
(11 November 2013, 17:38)Mortblanc Wrote:
(11 November 2013, 16:21)bigpaul Wrote: "Paranoia is irrational, delusional" yeah..but who sets the standard? maybe being paranoid might just save your life one day post SHTF.

Here in the States it is a Judge and 2 doctors!

If they all sign the papers they can take you to a place where you can get proper help.

Or improper help, as the case may be...
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
11 November 2013, 23:27,
Think this has kind of lost the point of what I was on about.

Paranoia is only paranoia if the end result is different from what you suspected. In retrospect you would not have been paranoid, only foreseen an uncommonly recognised outcome.

Getting lost in the meaning of paranoia has also lost the point of the post. Many people think that anyone expecting the social contract to snap, is paranoid. That's the reference point I'm coming from.

If you want to get really technical, then yes paranoia does mean you have real mental issues and should go and see the appropriate authorities. However, if you have no scientific evidence for your reason be believe something will happen, then you should probably go and see the same authorities, because your view of TEOTWAWKI or even a general SHTF situation, is based on opinion and not fact. In which case, you are paranoid.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
11 November 2013, 23:34,
(11 November 2013, 23:27)Scythe13 Wrote: Think this has kind of lost the point of what I was on about.

Paranoia is only paranoia if the end result is different from what you suspected. In retrospect you would not have been paranoid, only foreseen an uncommonly recognised outcome.

Getting lost in the meaning of paranoia has also lost the point of the post. Many people think that anyone expecting the social contract to snap, is paranoid. That's the reference point I'm coming from.

If you want to get really technical, then yes paranoia does mean you have real mental issues and should go and see the appropriate authorities. However, if you have no scientific evidence for your reason be believe something will happen, then you should probably go and see the same authorities, because your view of TEOTWAWKI or even a general SHTF situation, is based on opinion and not fact. In which case, you are paranoid.
I would also add that it is the numbers of people who believe and how they are perceived generally which also adds to the level of sanctioning of those beliefs. Example, certain world religions who are waiting on a messiah/prophet - no scientific evidence but they are 'sanctioned' through the mass of numbers of believers and not perceived as paranoid.
LAC
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
12 November 2013, 18:49,
(11 November 2013, 23:27)Scythe13 Wrote: Think this has kind of lost the point of what I was on about.
If you want to get really technical, then yes paranoia does mean you have real mental issues and should go and see the appropriate authorities. However, if you have no scientific evidence for your reason be believe something will happen, then you should probably go and see the same authorities, because your view of TEOTWAWKI or even a general SHTF situation, is based on opinion and not fact. In which case, you are paranoid
i think what you mean is good sense of self preservation. depending on persons intelligence and imagination it could vary from optimistic cautiousness to nearly paranoiac fear. problem with the word "paranoia" is that it means medical condition, the mental disorder. people lately started to use a lot of medical, technical and scientific terms for describing ordinary things. the more greek or latin the term the better, the more sophisticated you look.
in old times there were proverbs instead of those smart words. like "once bitten, twice shy" or "better safe than sorry" (in my native language it is "better fear than regret")
12 November 2013, 21:15,
Good post Erik
A major part of survival is invisibility.