Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knowledge decreases weight
11 December 2013, 20:01,
RE: Knowledge decreases weight
(11 December 2013, 18:01)Mortblanc Wrote: Come now, you fellows are not watching the show closely!

Even a "nerd" from Texas is a formidable outdoorsman, imagine what the dedicated ones are like.

Oh we can, we really can.................................

2013 Austin, Texas
A 17-year-old student fatally shot himself with a handgun in the courtyard of Lanier High School. The shooting happened in front of other students.

Houston, Texas
Between the Library and Academic Building outside of Lone Star College–North Harris, two men got into an argument and one of the men pulled out a gun and shot the other man, a student, injuring him. A maintenance man suffered a gunshot wound to the leg. The gunman accidentally shot himself in the leg. After the shooting, the gunman fled into the woods and was arrested hours later. The charges against the initial suspect were dropped and another man was arrested

Houston, Texas
One student was shot and injured after another student opened fire at North Forest High School. The student said that he was being confronted by three other students who were bullying him, and he took out a handgun and fired at them in self-defense. A 16-year-old bystander was unintentionally hit in the leg. The 18-year-old suspect was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon

Houston, Texas
Multiple gunmen opened fire during a powder puff football game at Worthing High School. One man, an 18-year old former student named Tremaine De Ante’ Paul, died. Five other people received injuries

Austin, Texas
Colton Tooley, 19, a student at the University of Texas at Austin, fired multiple shots around the campus with an AK-47 semi-automatic rifle. Nobody was injured. After the shooting, Tooley walked into the Perry-Castañeda Library and then committed suicide

Number of shooting events at US schools since only 2010: 46, as of October 23, 2013)

Yup Dr Shelly is a great example.Smile

12 December 2013, 19:09,
I'm sorry NR, but choosing a bunch of students with guns is not quite comparing a dedicated outdoorsman.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
12 December 2013, 21:06,
Sheldon Cooper - Build an airplane - Fly his ass out of there -.... "Flaps too much"... Cmon, twas a feeble joke..lol..
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
12 December 2013, 21:38,
(12 December 2013, 21:06)Timelord Wrote: Sheldon Cooper - Build an airplane - Fly his ass out of there -.... "Flaps too much"... Cmon, twas a feeble joke..lol..

Pretty good joke. You get a gold star for that.

Anyway, enough of the shenanigans, back to the point of the thread....The more skills you have, the less you NEED to carry....continue discussion...
12 December 2013, 21:56,
Sound like an accurate conclusion to me.Smile
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
12 December 2013, 23:45,
OR!!!

the more you know the more useless crap you can replace with Twinkies!
12 December 2013, 23:49, (This post was last modified: 12 December 2013, 23:50 by Midnitemo.)
if you go stoneage you'd die of boredom or just die....any fool can be uncomfortable and miserable....curry powder,mars bars and wet wipes maintain sanity in the ulu

or the boonies and cuds too!
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
12 December 2013, 23:55,
(12 December 2013, 23:49)Midnitemo Wrote: if you go stoneage you'd die of boredom or just die....any fool can be uncomfortable and miserable.

Learn the skills properly and you shouldn't be miserable or uncomfortable, unless you're a grumpy bugger haha, then you'll just be miserable.

My debris shelter kept me snug at -1 on Dartmoor last Friday.
13 December 2013, 00:01, (This post was last modified: 13 December 2013, 00:43 by Midnitemo.)
everybody has there own little list of things that make enduring a tough time in the field bareable...those were just a few of mine...surviving old school is pretty dull and you soon become fixated on food.

its great to be able to build a shelter like that should you find yourself stranded with no kit...but the time you spent putting it up could've been spent on other more pressing thing's , could have strung a tarp up for your bivvy in ten minutes tops , and it takes minimal space and weight in your kit.

were virtually at the winter equinox so you have less than 8 hours of daylight to achieve your chores , fire,foraging,fuel,water collection and sterilising,hunting fishing.....half your daylight hours on a shelter is not a wise use of time.

Don't get hung up on the stoneage!!! Evolution baby , kit has never been so small or good....and the essentials are not expensive so you can buy many multiples off.

swedish firesteel2 ...10,000 + strikes for £12 ...... buy 10...lifetime supply simples.Big Grin
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
13 December 2013, 14:23, (This post was last modified: 13 December 2013, 14:25 by Mortblanc.)
It all depends Midnitemo.

Last night I had 19 degrees F. Night before was 8 degrees F. Tonight we have 4 more inches of snow predicted and no temps above freezing in the near future.

A nice snug shelter rather than a tarp sounds real good.

On top of that we have half foot of snow on the ground and nothing is moving in these temps. Wild foods are covered with snow or frozen underground. Foraging is the big waste of time in my area.

I can make it a month without food, but I will die the first night without adequate shelter.

Way too many people go nuts over finding food immediately, at the expense of adequate shelter.

In turn, all this snow makes finding water a nonissue. Melt snow over the fire and you have all the pure water you want.

Three hours without shelter
Three days without water
Three weeks without food

The rule of threes will lighten your load a bit.