Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Enfield That Never Was
26 December 2013, 06:54, (This post was last modified: 26 December 2013, 06:55 by Mortblanc.)
The Enfield That Never Was
Made in my own shop with my own little hands.

16" barrel, muzzle brake, LER scope.

[Image: DSCF1202_zpsbd03d997.jpg]

[Image: DSCF1202_zpsbd03d997.jpg]
26 December 2013, 11:32,
RE: The Enfield That Never Was
Pretty!!!

Have you tried it out?

Would be good to get some info on how you made it too mate. That would be cool.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
26 December 2013, 12:22,
Looks good, sort of jeff cooper scout rifle crossed with a no5 jungle carbine
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
26 December 2013, 13:37, (This post was last modified: 26 December 2013, 13:47 by Midnitemo.)
i always wanted a no5 but wouldn't pay £500 for a good one so i bought a mosin carbine for £100....fun to shoot and the built in pig sticker was interesting but by god it kicked like a mule on steroids...still like a no5 even now.

CZ do a rifle of the shelf in a very similar style spec called a "527" for about £600 be good in the 7.62x39 calibre with a small fixed magnification scope on top + a few spare steel mags

[Image: cz 527]

like this

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

26 December 2013, 15:19,
Used a friends Enfield jungle carbine back in the 70s , kicked like a mule, noisy as hell and really did not like changable temperatures outdoors, point of aim was all over depending on how hot or cold it was,.

26 December 2013, 15:40,
yeah there not noted for there accuracy but i still like em...more as a curio than a shooter...the mosin carbine had all the same faults, deafeningly loud a muzzle flash more in keeping with a flamethrower and a really sadistic recoil incorporating a steel squared off butt plate!!!!....but i always had a queue of people wanting to fire it down the range(nobody ever came back for seconds though!)
26 December 2013, 16:08,
Flamethrower Smile Smile thats very good Smile, overall the carbine I always enjoyed the most was the Ruger Mini 14, used to go varmint hunting on the Cimmeron grasslands with it, good days indeed.

26 December 2013, 17:19, (This post was last modified: 26 December 2013, 17:31 by Mortblanc.)
We have Mosins too.

I do like the concept of the "scout rifle" and have several firearms that use parts of that philosophy. They usually differ from the Cooper Concept a some way bot follow that train of thought to one degree or another.

[Image: 006_zps2f632026.jpg]

The Mosins are generally more accurate than Enfields from the start. More forgiving, cheaper and easier to work with. My work with the Enfields has always rendered less than I desired or expected. Everything about their design detracts from the accuracy potential; two piece stock, barrel bands with pressure going every which way, bores damaged by long use with corrosive powders and primers.

The Enfield above is 3 years short of its 100th birthday, being from the middle of war time production. WW1 that is. The date stamp is 1917. I purchased it many years ago for $35 U.S. at a "boot sale". It will keep its shots on a dust bin lid @ 100m but just barely, as opposed to the Mosin, which will shoot inside a teacup at the same range.

As for explaining the build, that would take volumes. I did picture document the cutting and re-crowning of the MN barrel, which is easy enough if someone needs that information.
28 December 2013, 02:44,
i love enfields but not in plastic clothes!!! whats wrong with wood!!Smile on a serious note a good enfield will out shoot a mosin but most enfiels are shot out! where as most mosins on the market have been in storage since ww2
28 December 2013, 18:48,
We need to find some WW2 Italian rifles, they will be mint Big Grin