Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The thin veil of "civilised" society
6 January 2014, 13:43,
The thin veil of "civilised" society
Does anyone else ever find themselves wondering at the thin veil we live under and just how fragile it really is? You could be patiently standing in a queue for instance, people in front of and behind you, some more patient than others and you start thinking "WTSHTF all this would vanish." That person moaning behind you would now be a potential threat, possibly determined to take what you have. You'll say 'no' but will they take 'no' for an answer? You may have to defend yourself, your family and your supplies with lethal force.
How many people in that queue would turn nasty? How many of them would you have to kill to survive? What does that mean in today's reality, the fact that total strangers who are polite and nod hello to you would, in another reality, want to fight to the death to get their way?
In fact, who could you trust in a major SHTF aftermath?
It's amazing how quickly the veil could be torn away. Would it ever come back?
6 January 2014, 14:01,
RE: The thin veil of "civilised" society
It is the same, every human being is like that,.. you may now be a very mind mannered person, who may kill others to protect whats yours,... almost everyone is the same, its just that we have an edge and are prepared
A major part of survival is invisibility.
6 January 2014, 14:02,
I trust NO ONE(apart from OH) once TSHTF, that way i will be prepared for any sneaky attacks and wont be surprised when they happen.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 January 2014, 16:48,
Everyone in the queue has the potential to turn nasty- few days without food will do that. How many would you have to kill? - hopefully none because you cant kill them all and hope to come out of it unscathed yourself. Better to avoid conflict, lay low.

I'd trust the same people post event that I do now, very few indeed.

Once the veil is removed I think it can come back with the rule of law. That's all keeping many people from acting like animals now.
6 January 2014, 17:01,
You can test this now, in relative safety.

When you're out shopping or whatnot, find a long queue and push in right at the front - see how people react...
That veil is very thin.
6 January 2014, 18:00, (This post was last modified: 6 January 2014, 18:08 by bigpaul.)
keep a low profile, say nowt but make a note of those in your area who are potential trouble makers Post SHTF, those are the ones you'll have to deal with when the time comes.

either that, or bug out when the time comes and leave them all behind to stew in their own juice!!Angel

I'm under no illusions, I EXPECT people to revert to their baser levels(a lot of them are there already).Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 January 2014, 19:06,
Civil unrest is more frequent than people commonly believe. A quick look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_inc...ted_States is enlightening

forgetting ancient history and starting at the 2010s:

2010 - University of Tennessee Lane Kiffin Riot. Students riot on the Knoxville campus following head football coach Lane Kiffin's announcement that he took the head coaching job at the University of Southern California.
2010 - University of Maryland basketball disturbance 2010, College Park, Maryland, March 3 following a game; 28 arrested.
2010 - Springfest Riot, April 10, 200 police disperse crowd of 8000 using tear gas, pepper spray, rubber bullets and bean bag rounds, near the campus of James Madison University; dozens injured; 30-35 arrested., Harrisonburg, Virginia
2010 – Santa Cruz May Day riot, May 1, 250 rampage through downtown Santa Cruz attacking 18 businesses, causing an estimated $100,000 in damages. 1 arrested. Santa Cruz, California
2010 – L.A. Lakers riot, June 17, Fans riot in Downtown Los Angeles after Lakers win championship, 50 arrested. Los Angeles, California
2010 – BART Verdict riot, July 8, Riot breaks out in response to verdict in the killing of Oscar Grant, BART Police shooting of Oscar Grant. About 100 businesses were damaged and 78 people were arrested, Oakland, California
2010 - Eugene Melee, Sept 25, Riot breaks out west of the University of Oregon campus as police use tear gas to break up a rowdy party. 9 arrested. Eugene, Oregon
2010 - Oakland Protest riot, Nov. 5, Police made more than 150 arrests as a crowd broke windows and knocked down fences, protesting sentence of former BART officer in shooting of Oscar Grant on New Years Day 2009 see BART Police shooting of Oscar Grant., Oakland, California
2011 - Pennsylvania State University Joe Paterno Riot. Students riot in protest of the decision of the Board of Trustees to fire head football coach Joe Paterno. State College, Pennsylvania
2011 - Occupy Wall Street (Brooklyn Bridge Protests). Demonstrators blocked the bridge and more than 700 people were arrested. Brooklyn, New York
2011 - Occupy Wall Street Oakland Protests Riots. October. Protesters shattered windows, set fires, and plastered buildings with graffiti. Riot police fired heavy amounts of tear gas on the protesters.
2012 NATO 2012 Chicago Summit May. Conflict between riot police. Dozens of demonstrators clubbed and arrested.
2012 Anaheim police shooting and protests Civil Unrest, July 28th. Violence erupted after multiple shootings in the neighborhood by police that included unarmed Manuel Diaz. 24 people were arrested
2012 - Bethel Park, Pennsylvania, October 12, Fans riot after a win at home against Upper St. Clair. Fans broke through a fence at the Bethel Park High School stadium.
2013 - Brooklyn Riots, March 9th. Riots erupt for several nights after the controversial shooting of Kimani Gray. Over 46 demonstrators were arrested.
2013 - Seattle May Day Protest Riots, May 1st, 17 Arrested as Seattle May Day Protests Turn Violent.

That is why I don't go to large public gatherings or into major cities if it can be avoided.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
6 January 2014, 23:29, (This post was last modified: 6 January 2014, 23:30 by Mortblanc.)
Now let's see

Is the veil thing because you break line with total disregard for civilized behavior

or because of their normal desire to kick your butt for being so rude?

think about it beardy man
7 January 2014, 09:22, (This post was last modified: 7 January 2014, 09:26 by BeardyMan.)
(6 January 2014, 23:29)Mortblanc Wrote: Now let's see

Is the veil thing because you break line with total disregard for civilized behavior

or because of their normal desire to kick your butt for being so rude?

think about it beardy man

It's irrelevant why - it's the reaction that's important.

a normal, somewhat civilised, person would point out that there's a queue, and one should join at the back.

Cut line here and you get a mouthful of abuse straight away.

Does make shopping with the wife more interesting though Wink
7 January 2014, 13:41,
I heard something on the Jeremy Vine show a few weeks ago which was just crazy! People fighting one another in Tesco trying to get discounted fruit and veg! That's a pretty clear indication as to how the masses would behave in a genuine SHTF event.

I agree with the 'Trust no one' ethic but I'd like to imagine that there would be some mutual understanding among prepper types. I guess if we're prepared we wouldn't be the ones to worry about.

If we trust no one however, that would make it very hard to rebuild society. We'd have to group together eventually which would require trust.