Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pylons
7 March 2014, 17:37,
RE: Pylons
be good for a house at the top ,us the wire as a walk way
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
7 March 2014, 20:15,
Okay, this has taken some weird twists and turns.

Things to consider....

Visibility: If you're 40 feet up in the air, you'll be able to see all around, but unless you have a low profile, you'll also be very visible.

Location: Is the pylon the only landmark for miles around, other than the other pylons? Are you surrounded by woodland? What additional blockings do you have, e.g. buildings etc? Does it give you enough cover, or is it more of a standing-out-like-a-sore-thumb kind of thing? Could you change it or use it for another purpose, e.g. a little thermite to bring down one side and block a road?

Weather: How often do you get lightning in your area? How often do you get subzero temperatures? Both of which are important to consider. A cold shelter isn't any fun, and nor is lightning, but that's pretty rare as it is. Plus, with good visibility, you can usually see a storm coming. Odds of the first lightning strike hitting you is pretty low, as there are going to be many pylons around.

Maintenance: How much maintenance is required for the pylon? Could you do that? What condition is it in when you get to it?

Access and escape: it would be damn easy to smoke someone out of a pylon hut, but also really hard to escape from one. Could you rig up an easy way in and out?

Purpose: Would it be a one off night time shelter, a hunting perch, or a long term 'home'? Considering all the suggested issues above, which would you use it for?

Modification: Would it be possible to cut off sections of the upper part of the pylon, so reduce your profile, maybe blend into the upper canopy of a forest? Do you have access to enough rubber to make an insulated floor? Would you have a waterproof roof as well as flooring, that could keep the water out? So you have ample insulation from the elements?

The idea itself is novel. The practicality would be dependent on the situation. But it's worth looking at as an opportunity.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 March 2014, 21:17,
Lightning was something I'd considered and decided it was probably a miniscule risk , obviously you wouldn't stay put in an electrical storm but I figure they are so infrequent as to be worth the risk as a temporary bol location , don't forget there is a pylon every 100/200m hence plenty of others to strike....using one as an observation post depends on how/where the pylon is sited , obviously a lone pylon on the crest of a hill is a no no but the one I saw stradled a hedgerow interspersed with small tree's and would be a good OP
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
7 March 2014, 22:08, (This post was last modified: 7 March 2014, 22:19 by Barneyboy.)
i no there would be a lot of probs but it would be a bloody cool place ,you could see for miles ,the lightning would be a big prob ,but if you could hang a the place from the pylon then you should be isolated from a strike ,may not work but I like the look of it in my headSmile

I got a mad max thing going on here ,I will be king of barter town ,don't kill my dream guys
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
8 March 2014, 11:16,
I don't know about anywhere else but around here pylons are in the middle of open fields, no woods around them, in plain view and can be seen for miles, I have seen some on the tv collapsed in the recent storms, apart from using them as a visual aid or as a landmark when bugging out I think I will keep as far away from them as possible.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.