Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NR and CATS
27 March 2014, 19:00,
RE: NR and CATS
Cats are like foxes in that they kill for fun...even though i quite like cats and we have one at work post event i will be culling them purely to protect my potential food sources...cats are incredible predators.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
27 March 2014, 19:04,
I think some are missing the point here, if we get rid of all the cats we will soon be over run by mice and RATS, which would you prefer??
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 March 2014, 19:09, (This post was last modified: 27 March 2014, 19:11 by Midnitemo.)
cats are to hardy and clever to get eradicated....after a handfull were introduced to Australia they went feral and are now a huge threat to Australia's marsupial's and other small wildlife...kwocka's only exist in the wild on Rotnest island(an old penal/aboriganal facility)20 miles off the Western Australia coast.

Rats and mice are only after an easy meal, if your housekeeping is good you won't have rats.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
27 March 2014, 19:16,
(27 March 2014, 19:09)Midnitemo Wrote: Rats and mice are only after an easy meal, if your housekeeping is good you won't have rats.
yes that's easy to say now, but what about AFTER TSHTF when they could be feeding on other peoples stores and even other(dead)people??
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 March 2014, 19:35,
bigpaul

I think some are missing the point here, if we get rid of all the cats we will soon be over run by mice and RATS, which would you prefer??

Had to think about that and I guess I would prefer RATS because they only scavenge for easy food usually waste, carrion, sick and dying critters etc as far as I know rats don't hunt.
Cats on the other hand especially if left unchecked after TSHTF are going to wipe out rabbits, hare, game birds, pigeons, squirrel, pond fish etc and other valuable food sources.
A couple of trained Jack Russells will kill of any rats in the area and unlike lazy cats they never go off duty Smile

27 March 2014, 19:56,
Gotta admit cats aren't my favorite animals, voracious bird killers and so so dependently independent.

The first few minutes of "The Book Of Eli" certainly got me thinking..
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!
27 March 2014, 20:36,
The best bit about living around here is when people buy pet moggies and start acting like townies and let their pets go a roaming, the local foxes usually end up enjoying an extra meal of fresh moggy. I love foxes ( when they aint in chicken coops)

28 March 2014, 10:12,
I've seen some mangy foxes in my time, when I lived in Plymouth we had urban foxes who raided the Kentucky Chicken bins! but as far as cats are concerned I think they are out and out killers, I know farms that have Feral cats-they live in the barns- and they are kept solely to keep the mouse and rat populations out of the grain stores but I suspect a decent Jack Russell will do the job just as well(where I live is "Jack Russell country".....the Reverend Jack Russell lived not far away)or any decent terrier for that matter.
28 March 2014, 10:35,

This brings to mind a little deeper thought into nature.
You ever notice how when we 'umans' leave nature alone it appears to be well balanced out. I am not sure but I think a good example was the removal of the wolves from Yellowstone Park.

Leave it alone and it will find its own natural levels. So as BP says above but this is deeper than just cats.
If you like, 'There was an Old Woman who Lived in a Shoe'.
28 March 2014, 10:52,
I believe in Crete they cull the cat population once a year, they're a bit of a nuisance-always in the taverna bins, but a few escape so they don't wipe out the entire population. I've got some unneutered cats near me and their always having litters. personally post SHTF I don't think I'd want to wipe out the entire population of cats in my area-just the ones that are causing me a problem.