Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Q If you are buggin in do you NEED.........
31 March 2014, 13:40, (This post was last modified: 31 March 2014, 13:43 by BeardyMan.)
RE: Q If you are buggin in do you NEED.........
(31 March 2014, 13:32)bigpaul Wrote: use a 4X4 as a ramming vehicle around here and you'll come up against a sodding great tractor with a huge spike on the front!!! skewered like a rat on a stick!!!Big GrinBig Grin

Only if you're retarded enough to try and ram a tractor. You'd still do better in a 4x4 than a car/van...

You mention the tractor thing a lot BP, how do they cope on these narrow roads that only you can get down in your car??

I had no issues in my truck, ever, when driving all over the south west, down the seedy little farm roads.
31 March 2014, 13:46, (This post was last modified: 31 March 2014, 13:56 by bigpaul.)
apparently you learnt nothing living in a small Cornish village for 9 months, if you bothered to look you would have known that you cannot get past a tractor in any vehicle in a narrow Devon or Cornwall lane, that's why incomers don't last long in the countryside because they cannot learn from the experience and adjust their behaviour accordingly.

and that is why anyone leaving the city or large town post SHTF wont last long in the countryside.

(31 March 2014, 13:40)BeardyMan Wrote: You mention the tractor thing a lot BP, how do they cope on these narrow roads that only you can get down in your car??

I had no issues in my truck, ever, when driving all over the south west, down the seedy little farm roads.
the way you drive BM I doubt you see anything, everything must just be a blur to you.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
31 March 2014, 14:17,
(31 March 2014, 13:46)bigpaul Wrote: apparently you learnt nothing living in a small Cornish village for 9 months, if you bothered to look you would have known that you cannot get past a tractor in any vehicle in a narrow Devon or Cornwall lane, that's why incomers don't last long in the countryside because they cannot learn from the experience and adjust their behaviour accordingly.

and that is why anyone leaving the city or large town post SHTF wont last long in the countryside.

(31 March 2014, 13:40)BeardyMan Wrote: You mention the tractor thing a lot BP, how do they cope on these narrow roads that only you can get down in your car??

the way you drive BM I doubt you see anything, everything must just be a blur to you.

Errr, they're called PASSING PLACES, Paul, and they are plentiful...
Without those no one would get anywhere, would they?
It's simple you see, as you're driving down a little lane and you spot an approaching tractor, if he's near a passing place, he will pull in, if you are closer, you pull in. You have have to reverse, but there's a gear in the car especially for that. One party pulls in, the other party drives past. It really is relatively simple. If no one wants to pull in then someone has to reverse. I go with Might is Right, so if I come up against a tractor, I go backwards. If I come up against a normal car I just keep driving forwards Smile

I've lived in most parts of the UK. Devon and Cornwall have, BY FAR, the worst drivers on the roads I've ever seen (and I've driven well over half a million miles since I passed my test, closer to 750,000.) And there's no blaming the holiday makers for this one, it's the locals. But, they're all unwilling, or unable, to fathom just how bad they are at operating a moving vehicle. Or follow simple rules at roundabouts and junctions.

You need a 4x4 round that way to protect yourself on the roads!
31 March 2014, 14:27, (This post was last modified: 31 March 2014, 14:39 by bigpaul.)
I find the worst drivers are incomers and tourists who don't know the roads and faff about at 20mph getting in the way, or decided to back up and turn around without first looking in their rear view mirror! and yes that did actually happen. NOT all roads have designated passing places, in fact that seems to be a purely Cornish thing cos the roads are that narrow or maybe again its for the tourists. the people I hate are these ingrates who I have backed half a mile for and then don't even make eye contact never mind actually wave in acknowledgement.

and I've been driving for nearly half a century and I think I've seen all the bad driving there is.and then some idiot goes and does something else!Tongue

and what is it with drivers that go straight over a mini roundabout? it called a ROUND about not a GO-OVER about!! and even the larger roundabouts aren't safe, some drivers have a "roundabout-what roundabout?" kind of attitude and as for giving way to the right..some have never heard that one.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
31 March 2014, 14:41,
(31 March 2014, 14:27)bigpaul Wrote: the people I hate are these ingrates who I have backed half a mile for and then don't even make eye contact never mind actually wave in acknowledgement.

Yup - add to that the idiots who can't manage to reverse more than ten feet without descending into sheet panic.
Summer time was horrendous, not just the locals, but then you've got the holidaymakers too, who always end up getting lost. We'd only been in the village a month or so when a police car pulled up - he was looking for directions!!!

Back to the topic in question though, I'd always stick with my 4x4. May not be the narrowest vehicle in the world, but it's pretty versatile. And I know I can rely on it to get me out of dodge should I need to. It would have no issue pushing another car out of the way (car-jacking PSHTF) smashing through fences etc (it weighs in at almost 3 tonnes) or pulling things out of the way / towing.

Plus I need it to haul my family and gear around.

If I could not have a 4x4 then I think I'd go for a SWB Transit, but I'd want to put bullbars on it and AT tyres.
31 March 2014, 14:46,
I thought you were changing your vehicle cos it was expensive on fuel? i'll stick to a 1400 MPV....good on petrol and small enough to get through the lanes without too much trouble(if I don't meet any more bloody tourists)...Post SHTF I cant see us going far, its only 8 miles to the BOL and can be done off road if necessary...(bridle paths and cycle paths and green lanes).
31 March 2014, 15:09,
(31 March 2014, 14:46)bigpaul Wrote: I thought you were changing your vehicle cos it was expensive on fuel? i'll stick to a 1400 MPV....good on petrol and small enough to get through the lanes without too much trouble(if I don't meet any more bloody tourists)...Post SHTF I cant see us going far, its only 8 miles to the BOL and can be done off road if necessary...(bridle paths and cycle paths and green lanes).

I take the back roads home now, no more motorways, so it's not too bad at those speeds. Although I only ever get 250 miles out of a tank of fuel, 55 litres.
I would change it, but I like having that power. Dunno what else I'd go for as an every day vehicle. I'm not allowed a fast vehicle any more Sad
31 March 2014, 15:18,
My 4x4 is the fastest car i've had since becoming a parent vw polo 1.0 cl, nissan sunny 1.4lx , vauxhall astra 1.6 estate , fiat multipla 1.6 elx , fiat uno 1.2 dynamic , vauxhall agila 1.0 merit , vauxhall astra 1.7td saloon , fiat panda 1.1 eco , suzuki alto sz2 , vauxhall antara 2.2td 184bhp sub 10 second 0 to 60 and 120mph top end but i still drive it like a granny lol...miss my small cars and i use any excuse to drive her new suzuki instead of mine.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
31 March 2014, 15:32,
(31 March 2014, 15:09)BeardyMan Wrote: I take the back roads home now, no more motorways, so it's not too bad at those speeds. Although I only ever get 250 miles out of a tank of fuel, 55 litres.

blimey is that all? I can do that, and more, on less than half a tank......I don't do a lot of motorway driving, only if we're going away and even then I prefer to go up on the A30/A303 and then come back across country....I got this habit see? I don't like coming back the same way I went(its boring seeing the same bit of road twice )!!
31 March 2014, 15:50,
Paul do a google for Darlingtons THROUGHabout Smile