Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elderly
24 April 2014, 09:17,
RE: Elderly
(24 April 2014, 08:07)bigpaul Wrote: not all old people die as a result of a serious medical condition, some just die of old age, my grandparents were in their 90s when they "shuffled off", my dad was 83, mother in law was in her 90s, I have a friend who is 88, he cant walk very far...bad hips but he's still got "all his marbles" and he could teach you all a thing or two. sure a lot of people will die post SHTF without the proper care but that goes for younger people too with any serious medical condition....young lad on the news today got bowel cancer at 15..so it isn't just oldies.

All very true BP.

How would you be looking after older people if you had to, in a post SHTF situation?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
24 April 2014, 09:26,
in a personal way, I wouldn't be, as has already been pointed out we are the oldies, not that either Jane or myself consider our selves as old and are healthier and fitter than some people half our age.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 April 2014, 09:38,
I have grandparents in their eighties who still have open fireplaces and cook on the rayburn. They might need help chopping wood now but they experienced WW2 and rationing afterwards and can still teach me loads. That generation understand OPSEC as well. They would probably fare better than their much younger neighbours WSHTF. Security would be their issue, but the family would help with that.
“In the long history of humankind those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed” Charles Darwin
24 April 2014, 09:45,
(24 April 2014, 09:26)bigpaul Wrote: in a personal way, I wouldn't be, as has already been pointed out we are the oldies, not that either Jane or myself consider our selves as old and are healthier and fitter than some people half our age.

Fair does mate.

But if you HAD TO, how would you do it?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
24 April 2014, 12:18,
As has been said before there are a multitude of small jobs to be done that the elderly could help with but this only really works for me if we are securely bugged in , if we have to bug out then it will be extremely tough on the elderely and i suspect fatal , the two elderly people i have to consider are mother&father in law(3 times cancer survivor with a collostmy bag and on a huge variety of meds and a COPD sufferer on the verge of being oxygen dependant)so as you can see the prognossis/future are looking quite bleak should an event happen...but that doesn't mean we wont do our damndest for them.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
24 April 2014, 15:40,
blimey my spelling is poor today Blush
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!