Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Considerations for a Foot Passenger GHB.
26 April 2014, 09:26, (This post was last modified: 26 April 2014, 09:30 by NorthernRaider.)
RE: Considerations for a Foot Passenger GHB.
Scythe13
A spare set of clean walking socks. Nothing more heartening than changing minging socks for a nice fresh pair!

Good point Scythe, in the army we used to keep a spare of socks (and undies) in separate ziplock bags and we used to pre-treat the socks with anti fungal talcum powder. Also the ziplock bags themselves were used as waterproof oversocks worn over the socks if we were walking through flooded boggy ground. Better to prevent footrot or blisters caused by wet boots.

Oh yes I forgot some of the lads from Scotland always used to keep a small bottle or tube of DEET insect repellent in their kits so if your likely to be pasing by or through areas with Midges or Mossies you may want to keep a bit of DEET yourself. Scotland, Borders, Florida, Georgia etc ????

26 April 2014, 13:07,
BUMP,

TOFF wrote:

For one reason or another, not everyone has their own vehicle. As such, there are many forum members relying on public transport as their only realistic way to travel any distance. This thread hopefully will at least help the non drivers among us think about what we carry and why.

Using public transport as your main means of getting about, throws up some peculiarly unique circumstances and to maintain a reasonable level of preparedness takes a bit of ingenuity. There are endless lists floating about the internet all purporting to be the definitive list of what you will need. Well, for a non driver, this is rarely relevant or possible to carry. Most lists are drawn up for the car owner who is able to carry a huge bag of kit and food in the boot. That list has to be pared down pretty quickly when weight, and just as importantly, legality become the main factors. Many of these lists include the kitchen sink, which wouldn't fit in my handbag.
So apart from the everyday things we all carry, like your mobile phone wallet/purse and keys, I see the main reasons for carrying some kit when using public transport to be: 1. a failure of the transport system (when you may need a ghb). 2. Accidents that could occur. 3. Delays. 4. Shut downs or 5. Getting stuck at a rail or bus station. None of these are ideal, but they could be times when a good edc or ghb could be very handy.

Firstly the bag.

Try and have one that blends in with the crowd, instead of those tactical military styles have a look at what everyone totes. A nondescript backpack, or a man bag, a good sized handbag for those of us of the laydee persuasion, bags that don’t stand out or that could put you on the radar should be the first consideration. Don’t forget, this is not a BOB (that’s a whole new thread), just a means of carrying the necessary kit around to get you home or keep you safe and comfortable until you are on the move again. You may want this bag to be comfortable to carry for hours at a time and of good solid construction.

Contents.

The two main concerns for a passenger GHB are weight and legality. Keep things small, multifunctional, lightweight and legal.
The contents could be broken down into a few subjects; health and wellbeing, comfort, safety and alternative travel.
Health and Wellbeing could be a day or so of any regular medication, first aid kit, wet wipes, hand sanitizer, A few painkillers and antacids. If a rail route is shutdown, you don't want to be caught out at the station for a few hours or a couple of days like when it snows.
Safety could be a small pry bar or escape tool, some cordage, a simple PPE kit, small multitool, torch, candles and a lighter.
Comfort could include some food items of choice, a bottle of water, glucose tablets, hand warmers, gloves and hat (winter) sunscreen and sunhat (summer), emergency blanket. All are nice and small and cheap enough to get.
Alternative travel would probably consist of a map book, compass, a cache of money and alternative route locator.
A few miscellaneous items could also include a notebook and pencil, a mini FM radio, a folding water bottle with water purifier tablets, waterproof poncho.

Some things may not be needed; you won’t need a hat and gloves if you’re already wearing them. You may want to add or subtract various items to suit your circumstances. In the winter I often pack a flask of hot water, a squeezy tube of Heinz Tomato soup and a couple of those little sachets of hot chocolate.

With a bit of thought a simple kit similar to this could make a difference to making journeys on public transport a little more bearable and should anything happen you have a few bits and bobs.
26 April 2014, 13:12,
ME, the thread is about those of us who don't drive and use public transport on a daily basis. What we might carry with us to make travelling by public transport more bearable and have a bit of kit available for any unexpected eventualities.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
26 April 2014, 13:24,
(26 April 2014, 11:18)bigpaul Wrote: the trouble with public transport, apart from the hygiene angle, is that it usually dosent go where I want to Big Grin

That's very true.

The original post was based for people whom, for one reason or another, need to use public transport on a day to day basis, and the discussion was about their options for EDC or GHB.

It's only meant as an everyday carry based thread. It's not actually about public transport. It's about the gear you can/should carry if that's your only means of transport.

In the case of an event, stealing a bike or something like that would be an option. However, it's not in the context of this thread. This thread is about EDC and GHB.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
26 April 2014, 13:29, (This post was last modified: 26 April 2014, 13:30 by NorthernRaider.)
Paul there's plenty of people including preppers who only have access to public transport, IIRC it may have been Mandlaka or one of the other urban preppers whose circumstances made it rather pointless and uneconomic to have their own transport. A lightweight GHB that does not attract unwanted attention on the bus or tube is something we must explore further if we are to continue to help urban preppers.

Ooops just saw Scythes post, sorry for doubling up.

26 April 2014, 13:38,
yes fine, in an everyday type of life public transport is acceptable, we have all done it at some time I am sure, I know I have. I just think in a SHTF event trying to get home or anywhere else on public transport is not only on a hiding to nothing but is very dangerous to boot. there are some very unsavoury and down right nasty people on public transport.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 April 2014, 13:47,
Can we chat more about bags rather than transit systems please cos I'm trying to add as much as I can about urban preps for the files I'm assembling for SlyFox, The more opinions and advice from Charles, Mo, Scythe etc and anyone else whose posts I can see would be welcome please.

26 April 2014, 13:57,
BUMP

TOFF wrote:

For one reason or another, not everyone has their own vehicle. As such, there are many forum members relying on public transport as their only realistic way to travel any distance. This thread hopefully will at least help the non drivers among us think about what we carry and why.

Using public transport as your main means of getting about, throws up some peculiarly unique circumstances and to maintain a reasonable level of preparedness takes a bit of ingenuity. There are endless lists floating about the internet all purporting to be the definitive list of what you will need. Well, for a non driver, this is rarely relevant or possible to carry. Most lists are drawn up for the car owner who is able to carry a huge bag of kit and food in the boot. That list has to be pared down pretty quickly when weight, and just as importantly, legality become the main factors. Many of these lists include the kitchen sink, which wouldn't fit in my handbag.
So apart from the everyday things we all carry, like your mobile phone wallet/purse and keys, I see the main reasons for carrying some kit when using public transport to be: 1. a failure of the transport system (when you may need a ghb). 2. Accidents that could occur. 3. Delays. 4. Shut downs or 5. Getting stuck at a rail or bus station. None of these are ideal, but they could be times when a good edc or ghb could be very handy.

Firstly the bag.

Try and have one that blends in with the crowd, instead of those tactical military styles have a look at what everyone totes. A nondescript backpack, or a man bag, a good sized handbag for those of us of the laydee persuasion, bags that don’t stand out or that could put you on the radar should be the first consideration. Don’t forget, this is not a BOB (that’s a whole new thread), just a means of carrying the necessary kit around to get you home or keep you safe and comfortable until you are on the move again. You may want this bag to be comfortable to carry for hours at a time and of good solid construction.

Contents.

The two main concerns for a passenger GHB are weight and legality. Keep things small, multifunctional, lightweight and legal.
The contents could be broken down into a few subjects; health and wellbeing, comfort, safety and alternative travel.
Health and Wellbeing could be a day or so of any regular medication, first aid kit, wet wipes, hand sanitizer, A few painkillers and antacids. If a rail route is shutdown, you don't want to be caught out at the station for a few hours or a couple of days like when it snows.
Safety could be a small pry bar or escape tool, some cordage, a simple PPE kit, small multitool, torch, candles and a lighter.
Comfort could include some food items of choice, a bottle of water, glucose tablets, hand warmers, gloves and hat (winter) sunscreen and sunhat (summer), emergency blanket. All are nice and small and cheap enough to get.
Alternative travel would probably consist of a map book, compass, a cache of money and alternative route locator.
A few miscellaneous items could also include a notebook and pencil, a mini FM radio, a folding water bottle with water purifier tablets, waterproof poncho.

Some things may not be needed; you won’t need a hat and gloves if you’re already wearing them. You may want to add or subtract various items to suit your circumstances. In the winter I often pack a flask of hot water, a squeezy tube of Heinz Tomato soup and a couple of those little sachets of hot chocolate.

With a bit of thought a simple kit similar to this could make a difference to making journeys on public transport a little more bearable and should anything happen you have a few bits and bobs.
26 April 2014, 14:56,
Good post Toff.

I have a car, travel by bike, and by ski and by just about any self sufficient means I possibly can.

I hate public transport, but still have to use it. Likewise aircraft and ferries. Hardly independent, and I always feel uneasy. Your post has made me think about having a different carry pack when on such journeys.

BoB, I don't think you'll need the Tesco deodorant, rank as it is, its small fry against a well fermented pair of day-old prepper socks :-)

I'll spend some time working through your list to see how doable such a pack would be for me.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

26 April 2014, 16:39,
Guys,

Stick to the topic. If you want a thread on Public Transport and BoBs start a new one.