Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Considerations for a Foot Passenger GHB.
26 April 2014, 18:18,
RE: Considerations for a Foot Passenger GHB.
OK, I'm with you on the kit TOF

I have a bag similar to this that I use for short haul flights, or long haul if its a quick in and out meeting.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/More4bagz-Approv...43&sr=1-23

Mine is made by an Italian manufacturer, I cannot remember thir name at the mo and I'm away from home so cannot check. The important thing is to get one that meets airline overhead bin dimensions. Also 2 wheelers are better than the 4 wheeled ones that are all the rage now. And those two wheels need to be large roller blare type wheels... why? Because with a bag that's properly constructed you can drag it while running at a good pace. Some of these sorts of bag also have built in ruck sack strapping that zip into hidden compartments, so even more useful.

Loads and loads of people travel with this sort of airline approved baggage so it blends in quite well. I like the ones with loads of externally accessible compartments as this means that documents, sweets, phones, notepads etc can be retrieved without opening the bag for the whole wide world to scrutinise. For sure I stopped using hard shell cases for this reason.

To add to the list, I'd add a simple mobile phone in a waterproof box ( The little Samsungs are brilliant em-com units and hold charge forever.) and of course I'd have a small ruggedized walkie talkie as well.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

26 April 2014, 18:30,
Mines a little civilian Victorinox laptop bag, very bland, compact and unassuming.

26 April 2014, 18:41,
@LS
My Airline kit is tiny, it all fits in my handbag.
I have a little Samsung Phone, I can see the sense in having a back-up in the bag. Good idea! Still having trouble getting enthused about radio though.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
26 April 2014, 19:12, (This post was last modified: 26 April 2014, 19:32 by Lightspeed.)
Funny I cut pasted and deleted that bag as an option...

A colleague of mine has one. they are excellent... but then at £185 a pop they ought to be.

But yes that's a great bag for this kind of operation NR.

(26 April 2014, 18:41)TOF Wrote: @LS
My Airline kit is tiny, it all fits in my handbag.
I have a little Samsung Phone, I can see the sense in having a back-up in the bag. Good idea! Still having trouble getting enthused about radio though.

Its a geeky kind of thing TOF, but with serious post SHTF importance.

What if the big one happens while you are travelling? I guarantee you, based on many, many reports, the mobile phone network will be overloaded. You may be able to get some texts out, and maybe receive a few. Quickly the mobile phone network will stop completely.. Then how are you going to communicate or get intel? OK your kit has a transistor radio in it, but the little walkie talkies I'm thinking of also have FM radio receivers built in.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

26 April 2014, 19:46,
LS, would a UV3r be okay for TOF? Smaller and lighter than the UV5r series.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
26 April 2014, 20:24, (This post was last modified: 26 April 2014, 20:25 by TOF.)
See? Now you're talking Hungarian. I have tried to get happy about Radio, honest! Poor BoB has tried, bless her. I think she's going to have another go on our next practice bug-out.

I do appreciate the importance of having a radio in your bag.

26 April 2014, 20:43,
This is an interesting thread. I travel far from home on public transport a lot, so it is very relevant for me.

To my mind, one of the challenges is to be able to carry on with business as usual (i.e. fulfil the purpose of the trip), while being prepared for something to develop unexpectedly and very rapidly, and to meet both these needs within the limits of weight, size and appearance, as already stated.

I think you can extend the idea of multi-purposing outside the bag, to other things you carry / wear. Examples:

1. On most of my trips I'm expected to wear dress shoes and "smart casual" business wear. But I'm always conscious that I may end up having to walk a long way, on rough ground and maybe in the wet or slush. My answer is to wear a pair of country brogues. They're smart enough for business wear, but substantial, and with a good enough tread, to allow me to cover some distance in reasonable comfort.

2. I need mobile computing when I'm away, so I choose to carry an iPad instead of a laptop. As well as my business software, this is loaded with OS maps for the whole UK, is GPS-enabled, has an electronic compass and a 10-hour battery life. It's also small and light, leaving more room for other stuff. PDFs of street maps and local transport timetables go on this too, so I don't have to rely on getting online if I need to re-route or change plans.

3. I always carry a lightweight waterproof (or a more substantial one outside the summer). This is a Paramo jacket, smart enough for walking around the city, but waterproof and ultra-breathable, so I can wear it without getting hot and sweaty on public transport.

For me, lightweight is critical. Whenever I plan a public transport based trip, I always assume I'll be using buses or walking for the local legs of the journey. This has a direct effect on what I plan to take, with the fringe benefit that I never have with me more than I can comfortably carry some considerable distance. (If I need to transport bigger, heavier items - e.g, in my case - training materials - I courier them to the destination ahead).
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
26 April 2014, 22:37,
I have a car yet wouldn't dream of taking it to London or Birmingham. I get the train there and then take buses or the tube. I carry a TNF tarpaulin messenger bag. I've had it for years and it's bombproof, still looks like new.

As for the contents there's food and water, a super lightweight pullover waterproof and matching trousers, valved face mask, gloves and buff. Mini 1st aid kit. I also carry a Maxpedition micro organiser that has a leatherman, led torch, pry bar, gorilla tape and glue, zip ties, pen and waterproof paper. The organiser is the result of having various bits and pieces in different pockets, bags and glovebox. It pulls everything into one place and means it can easily be swapped to whatever I'm carrying. When I leave the house now it's keys, phone and organiser.

I agree with carrying a small tablet computer too. My Nexus 7 is smaller and thinner than a single OS map yet contains 1:25000 maps of pretty much everywhere I go. It also has most of SDs file download site on it too.

I think the most important thing in the city is situational awareness and good footwear. I was in London over Easter and walked 10 miles after Sunday lunch. The amount of lemmings wandering around looking at their phones, getting run over because they were totally unaware of where they were or what they were doing was astounding.
“In the long history of humankind those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed” Charles Darwin
27 April 2014, 08:57,
Crikey SUF, your ears must be burning! Your name has been mentioned so many times it must be near worn out. I wonder if a mobile phone app would do a similar job as a computer tablet for maps. I'm not very techie, so will have to give it a try. I do carry an A3 size map book of Britain. I'm not sure how a network problem would affect mobile phone gps stuff.

27 April 2014, 09:53,
I have the same apps on the tablet and phone. If bought through Google Play, they sync between devices so the new map app on the tablet magically appears on the phone. Make sure you download the maps for offline use in case the network is down. GPS should be fine unless EMP has taken it out in which case phone/tablet won't work anyway. I prefer the tablet for maps as my eyesight isn't getting any better and the phones too small.
The tablet has tube and bus maps/timetables, British waterways map, supermarket finder(surprisingly useful) sunrise/sunset app. Google Maps will let you set your own maps with useful points like water/cache points.
“In the long history of humankind those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed” Charles Darwin