Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Lone Wolf
17 May 2014, 12:26,
RE: The Lone Wolf
What about, as a lone wolf, when you sleep?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
17 May 2014, 12:37,
in what context ??
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 May 2014, 12:44,
obviousy very vulnerable whilst asleep if nobody standing guard...have to be very secretive when and where you bed down.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
17 May 2014, 12:49,
as has been said many times before, depends on the survival rate post event, but in general its easier to hide away and conceal a lone wolf than it is to do the same with a large group, also a series of traps and dead falls could give warning of strangers approaching.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 May 2014, 12:55, (This post was last modified: 17 May 2014, 12:55 by Midnitemo.)
traps and deadfall's are not failsafe....somebody may visit your camp whilst you're away, activate a trap(survive it)reset it, then either lay in wait or come back and visit you later whilst you sleep or if you're lucky just steal what they find on the initial visit.

just one of the con's of being unsupported
17 May 2014, 13:09,
that could happen in a group setting too while everybody is out working, so whats your point?
17 May 2014, 13:10, (This post was last modified: 17 May 2014, 13:14 by Midnitemo.)
everybody wouldn't be out.

or you could lose the camp you've sweated to build and all that's in it.

I'm not against lone wolf /duo's small group's...if I could choose my circumstances it's the way I'd go but I'm stuck with my group(family)
17 May 2014, 13:17, (This post was last modified: 17 May 2014, 13:23 by bigpaul.)
maybe the people left in camp didn't hear the trap going off-so intent on their own chores- the same would apply. I still say being a lone wolf would be easier than a large group, easier to hide away and keep quiet, a larger group is difficult to be hidden and especially quiet...people have this natural need to talk and say something, which obviously isn't a problem for a lone wolf.

both lone wolfs and groups have their pro's and con's, I don't intend to get into a long winded argument about either.
17 May 2014, 16:13,
It amazes me that this topic persists as a subject of monthly debate.

And in every case it is turned from a practical matter into a personal matter as if one has the right to their own personality disorder, and because they can not cope with society now they will be in hog-heaven post event after the "massive die off" they are praying for.

This "lone wolf" thing is perpetuated by persons that can not stand others telling them what to do and know they do not have the personal skills to be the leaders of a group or command the respect of others. The only option they see is breaking away from the society they can not cope with and isolating themselves.

Fact of the matter is that the present legal system protects the loner, keeps the "socially challenged" from harm and allows rude, crude and socially unacceptable behavior just inside the legal boundaries to flourish as part of its own self perpetuation cycle.

Post event all A-holes that can't get along with others will be eliminated due to withdrawal of protection.

Post event there will be no one to call when the world is "picking on you".

Guess what was substituted for execution under Roman law?

Banishment.

Guess what was imposed on antisocial persons that could not be caught by TPTB in middle ages England, hiding in the woods and dodging humanity?

Outlawry,

withdrawal of the protections of society. The Latin term is translated to "the head of a wolf" in the early English legal codes, which makes the use of this term "lone wolf" even more absurd.

Even today article 9 of the UN law of basic human rights states that a person can not be exiled (separated from his group and home) without due process. It is such a basic human survival need that being part of the group is protected by UN Law.

All of the social sciences are based on human interactions in groups due to the group dynamic being the primary survival force of the human race. Out-group and in-group dynamics, allowing the transfer of skills and knowledge from one generation to the next.

A group being good or bad is only our difference between the definition of a community or a gang.

and deviants that can not cope with the group dynamic are studied, observed, isolated, incarcerated, institutionalized, executed and banished/exiled/outlawed.

Is a functioning group going to allow a person to lurk around on the fringes, remain separate and a possible danger to the group?

Absolutely not!

At first the nut-job out in the woods might be viewed as different, but soon he will be labeled as weird, then suspicious, then as dangerous. Finally someone will be killed, something will be stolen, crops will be pilfered and the blame will be placed on "that weird guy that lives out in the woods".

Then comes the man hunt and the hanging.

You'd best make some friends!
17 May 2014, 16:51, (This post was last modified: 17 May 2014, 17:21 by bigpaul.)
I'm not going to be told by some colonial who has never been here how to behave in my own country. if I want to be a loner and live outside the bounds of so called "society" post SHTF I will do so, and boo sucks to anyone who think I shouldn't or cant !!!Big GrinBig GrinTongue

its just this kind of attitude that makes me prefer my own company and want to be alone, and post SHTF to shun any kind of human contact whatsoever, I have no time for internet trolls and their mind games.