Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lookouts, sentries, and guard-duty
27 May 2014, 02:08,
RE: Lookouts, sentries, and guard-duty
Security is a concern even in "peaceful" times.

In a crisis it is absolutely mandatory.

The history of my area of the country is filed with tales of pioneer families that failed to keep watch and were wiped out for their carelessness. One incident happened about 1/2 mile down the road from my house. Eight members of the family, throats cut and scalped because they did not have dogs or security out.

All the points you bring up are due for consideration and the security will be different depending on the location, number of people in the group and general level of danger.

I have been in situations where 100% alert was mandated, that can only be maintained for a single 24 hour period, 48 at a push. Going into the third day the guards start hallucinating.

When working in shifts things are easier. I never liked to split watch, preferring to do one two hour shift rather than two one hour stints. I always liked working in three man teams so the watches were shorter.

First watch is usually not bad, and last watch is tolerable, since you have a definite end of the watch with light arriving. The middle watch is tough. You wake from sleep and instant alertness is demanded, two hours latter you are still fighting to stay awake and it is just as dark as it was when you started.

Keep in mind that all the mature people in your group can stand watch even if not fit to fight.

The fatigue of constant guard duty is one good reason to keep some good dogs. Even in middle ages Europe the watchman and his dogs patrolled the streets of the walled cities at night.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lookouts, sentries, and guard-duty - by Mortblanc - 27 May 2014, 02:08