Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Preparing for what?
6 January 2012, 12:05,
RE: Preparing for what?
(6 January 2012, 11:56)Scythe13 Wrote: So it would seem that we are all preparing for a financial collapse. Or is it just the effect a financial collapse would have on society?

well i think, financial collapse 1st, followed by what effect that collapse has on society, riots, looting etc etc.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 January 2012, 12:47,
A financial collapse is most likely either as a precurser or direct effect of failing economies, mass immigration, socialiast extremism or the EU.

6 January 2012, 13:04,
I believe it will be the precursor. But not the spark. The spark will come as an effect of the collapse though.

Civil war, rich vs poor?
6 January 2012, 13:08, (This post was last modified: 6 January 2012, 13:11 by NorthernRaider.)
(6 January 2012, 13:04)Scythe13 Wrote: I believe it will be the precursor. But not the spark. The spark will come as an effect of the collapse though.

Civil war, rich vs poor?

Nup those with food and those without, even the uber rich in the Chelsea and Westminster pads will be screwed compared to the unemployed dud with an allotment .

The first battle with be the mobile who can flee and those left behind, another battle with be tween blacks, asians and whites, another tween feral packs of chavs and people living in gated communities, another will happen when the herds start fleeing the cities faster than they are now.

Then the refugees versus the country folk and preppers.

Then attrition and disease versus the prepped and unprepped.
Y'see folks it does not have to be a total armageddon type thing with 60 million dead, most of the conflict and territory squabbles will stop when the population falls to a sustainable number, say perhaps 35 to 40 million instead of todays 60 to 65 million. This is still a big island and it can feed a sensible population.

6 January 2012, 13:20, (This post was last modified: 6 January 2012, 13:26 by mikebratcher69.)
The trouble is, how many of us still have the capability to work the fields or grow crops, I've only got a basic understanding myself of crops rotations and such stuff (which I'm trying to improve on) and with these new hybrid "seedless" crops they produce, unless we've got copious ammounts of seed stock, lifes gonna be hard for a long time until we start producing food and even then, part of thats got to be put away for next years seed stocks I believe.
On my small scale trials, I soak my seeds overnight on wet issue paper to re moisturise them, and if you keep the paper moist and in a warm place the majority start to sprout and germinate within 48 hours. I will then transfer to pots, empty yogurt pots and such and grow indoors till they are strong enough for outside. Does that sound about right. ?
I know large scale production is different and thats what I want to gain knowledge about "just in case" because I think the knowkedge on how to plant, look after abd harvest will be one of the most sought after skill sets.
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
6 January 2012, 13:30,
If you guys are right, we'll end up going to the farmers and bartering with them. We'll help protect his land and crops, in exchange for a small amount of what he produces.

I think I'll go Robin Hood (just not the robbing part of it). Live off the land in the woods and protect the woods from theives and the alike.
6 January 2012, 14:17,
i dont think we will be seeing the huge fields of wheat and stuff after TSHTF, more liable to be allotment type growing in small strip fields-like in the middle ages. yes, seed will be a problem, we would need to access "heritage" type seed rather than the GM sort.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 January 2012, 14:52,
(6 January 2012, 14:17)bigpaul Wrote: i dont think we will be seeing the huge fields of wheat and stuff after TSHTF, more liable to be allotment type growing in small strip fields-like in the middle ages. yes, seed will be a problem, we would need to access "heritage" type seed rather than the GM sort.

I hate to say it mate, but I disagree totally. GM crops (depending on which type) can grow bigger, faster, healthier, more pest immune, and with less water. If anything, I believe they will be the saving grace after a SHTF scenario.

Use wheat for example. GM wheat grows 2-3x more bountiful than traditional wheat stems. You can grow more of them in a smaller area. They are packed with more vitamins and minerals. They are less likely to rot if theres too much water and less likely to dry out if theres not enough. They will be less prone to diseases that could kill a normal crop. Each stem of GM wheat will produce more food with a higher nutrition density than non-GM stems.

You could feed more people, more frequently, with more nutrients, more securely, growing GM crops in the same size area as you could using tradition 'untainted' traditional wheat.

Over 90% of the wheat we use currently is GM. They don't advertise that it is because they have no legal obligation to do so. We have all been eating GM crops for years. We just didn't realise it.

Scarey hu?
6 January 2012, 15:10,
(6 January 2012, 14:52)Scythe13 Wrote:
(6 January 2012, 14:17)bigpaul Wrote: i dont think we will be seeing the huge fields of wheat and stuff after TSHTF, more liable to be allotment type growing in small strip fields-like in the middle ages. yes, seed will be a problem, we would need to access "heritage" type seed rather than the GM sort.

I hate to say it mate, but I disagree totally. GM crops (depending on which type) can grow bigger, faster, healthier, more pest immune, and with less water. If anything, I believe they will be the saving grace after a SHTF scenario.

Use wheat for example. GM wheat grows 2-3x more bountiful than traditional wheat stems. You can grow more of them in a smaller area. They are packed with more vitamins and minerals. They are less likely to rot if theres too much water and less likely to dry out if theres not enough. They will be less prone to diseases that could kill a normal crop. Each stem of GM wheat will produce more food with a higher nutrition density than non-GM stems.

You could feed more people, more frequently, with more nutrients, more securely, growing GM crops in the same size area as you could using tradition 'untainted' traditional wheat.

Over 90% of the wheat we use currently is GM. They don't advertise that it is because they have no legal obligation to do so. We have all been eating GM crops for years. We just didn't realise it.

Scarey hu?
yes, but only if we had great huge stocks of seed and would need massive warehouses for that, even if you had access to the stock. GM does not produce a valid seed for year 2 so you need access to fresh seed EVERY year, also i'm not sure i want to eat something that has been tampered with by scientists, i mean i wonder what the side effects are? i wouldn't want to grow a second head!!
6 January 2012, 15:18,
I thought GM wheat was sterile?