Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I've Decided..
17 September 2014, 08:43,
RE: I've Decided..
there is a lot to be said for situational awareness, living in a city for all those years and moving in some of the less savoury areas of that city one becomes quickly aware of their situation, or one becomes a cropper if they don't!Big Grin "watching your back" becomes second nature, and reading other peoples body language, in public places sitting with your back to a wall so they can only come at you face on, I am acutely aware of other people behind me at a ATM and I still don't like people walking up behind me. there is a lot to be said for looking and dressing the way I do, that puts a lot of people off before any trouble even starts. a fight should always be a last resort when all else has failed. I think "people watching" is also an invaluable skill, one which I have practised for over 35 years.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 September 2014, 08:53,
I am always amazed by the numbers of folks in Durham and Newcastle who appear to walk everywhere and ride on the Metro with their heads looking down at I phones etc, especially the students. They have absolutely no idea on the environment they are in or any sort of situational awareness all they do is walk along, head down usually with ear phones in so they cannot hear any approaching threat never mind see what is happening. So I am not surprised to read that up to 2000 I Phones get stolen in street robberies every week.

Its amazing some contrasts I have been told about from four pretty young girls heading out for the night jumping into the first metro carriage door as the metro pulled into Hearth without looking to see it was half full of chanting rowdy yobs. To people boarding a local train and spotting two men of muslim appearance carrying rucksacks and some folks got back off the train or move to another carriage.

I am like BP at ATM's I always do a 360 look around before starting the transaction, If I don't like the look or position of some folks I go away and try again later.

17 September 2014, 18:31,
After way too much time being a roughian, and enjoying getting in the cage, as well as door work....Krav Maga.

It's designed to be as deadly close up, whether you have a handgun or not. Plus it's taught to women as a combat martial art.

There are few martial arts that teach you how to properly scratch out a person's eyes, knee them in the balls, and the alike.

Israeli martial art, designed for men-women-children, to be deadly.

Plus...and this will throw off a lot of people...Tai Chi. I have found huge benefits with balance and relaxation from Tai Chi. There are many forms, but if you say you want to learn Long Form, most places will know the style you mean. You'll probably end up learning short form, but it'll be the right style non-the-less. Tai Chi has given me such good balance that I was one of the hardest people to get to the floor with a 1 leg takedown.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
17 September 2014, 19:53,
I completely agree with the comments about awareness of the space around you. Actually, I would be very wary about using ATMs in some places - you know that feeling between your shoulderblades ....?? I tend to take the dog out with me if I do have to walk anywhere; he's very protective; very noisy and rather large. It's better than nothing.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
17 September 2014, 20:14,
A well trained dog who is protective of you is a great deterrent. A loyal common mutt who can read your mood and know when to growl at strangers who get within your personal space is usually enough. My neighbor has a Jack Russell that earns his keep in this manner.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA