Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Umbrella's
27 October 2014, 01:15, (This post was last modified: 27 October 2014, 01:31 by Midnitemo.)
RE: Umbrella's
Bothy is an emergency lightweight shelter used on mountains and fells mainly....just a big bivvy bag with seats that you sit on to anchor it to the ground , usually 2 man or 4 man weigh a couple of kilo's made of ripstop/goretex or some other high tech material...have windows and vent.

like these.[Image: bothy 1][Image: bothy 2]

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/image...B7FboO8czK

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/image...q6TBLnbWcS
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
27 October 2014, 05:12,
I carry an umbrella as basic EDC gear, due to the fact that we get a huge amount of rain across all seasons. Apart from the obvious sun / rain shield, I've also used my fairly stout handled versions to fend off both dogs and drunks, plus as a walking stick after slipping over one night.

Actually, I think the authorities have decided the type I have can be classified as a weapon -- going through airport security the other night, the guards made open it up and have it carefully checked. Meanwhile, the dude next to me with a stout walking stick was allowed through without a hitch, as was my colleague who had both a Swiss knife on her keyring and a freaking phone jammer (which sets itself off at every bump) in her carry on bag.
27 October 2014, 07:03,
(26 October 2014, 19:28)NorthernRaider Wrote: Skinheads and suede heads used to carry them as erm........ accessories back around 1970 they learned very quickly to improvise every day objects as weapons, such as brollies with sharpened tips, steel toe capped doc martens, steel segs fitted to the soles of brogues , alloy hair combs with the back edge sharpened razor sharp, even a few had bowler hats with razor blades embedded in the rim. Hey Droogie don't crash here !!

didnt steed in the avengers use an umbrella as a weapon along with a steel rimmed bowler , the peaky blinders gang from Birmingham (real gang not just on tv) used razor blade in hats , i like the comb idea never thought of that
Ready for Anything
http://autonopedia.org/
27 October 2014, 11:44,
IIRC you could actually get a real bowler had that was a safety hat, I think it was designed for the male show jumping horsey set, skinheads realised you could really NUT someone with one on !! Smile

Oh I forget some "chaps" bought British army Northern Ireland Pattern leather gloves, removed the foam pad from the back of the glove and filled the space with lead shot.

If you go down to the woods today you'll never believe your eyes,
If you go down to the woods today you're in for a big surprise,
Cos Jeromy the Sugar Puffs bear has bought some boots and cut off his hair,
Cos Jeromy has gone to join the skin...... heads Smile

27 October 2014, 21:46,
I think the bowler was invented as a safety hat for gamekeepers on a Norfolk estate.read it in a shooting mag I think
2 November 2014, 22:29,
A bothy is an unlocked agricultural building in Scotland that the landowner makes available for hikers to use as an emergency or overnight shelter.

A "bothy bag", as Midnite says, is a lightweight emergency shelter, made famously by Karrimor. Typically carried by a group leader on hiking expeditions. They weigh next to nothing, take up very little space and can be deployed in an instant. I can say from personal experience that they are superb, and potentially a life-saver. If you're caught out in really poor weather, or just need to stop for a break for some reason, the micro-climate and sense of well-being achieved by getting everyone to sit in one of these things is fantastic.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.