Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dawn of the Shed ( pun intended)
28 October 2014, 10:16,
RE: Dawn of the Shed ( pun intended)
We had a bomb shelter at our last two houses, the last one we had was built in WW2 and designed to provide shelter for three or four families, it was in the back yard of our little terraced house, basically they removed the outhouse and coal shed and replaced it with a big prefab concrete box made from rebar and heavy concrete all dimensions were one foot thick including the roof, it had a steel set of doors with rubber seals and a hand cranked air filter. I turned it into a single family shelter and workshop.

The house we had before that the previous owner had spent thousands re-enforcing a cellar that had been there since it was built, extra walling, doubled up on the amount of floor joists to one every foot and increase the size from 8 x 4 to 10 x5 inch and added a second layer of floorboards over the original floor giving a floor thickness of 2 1/2 inches. he also put extra vertical screw up braces to support the floor etc. The coal door to outside got clad in painted mild steel about 4mm thick. That was my man shed Smile

I've got nothing in this house we live in now Sad

28 October 2014, 20:03,
I must confess, I'm thinking of building a root cellar myself, but all that digging puts me off. I put some DIY digging teeth onto the loader bucket on an old tractor, but it's not really heavy-duty enough and struggled with building a pond.

I have a shipping container that I insulated and dry lined, I reckon I could cover the outside with some plastic or bitumen material and half bury it, then cover the top over with the spoil, but one of the doors would have to be clear so it wouldn't be easy to hide away.
28 October 2014, 20:44,
Steve what about putting another for or hatch in the top to make hiding it easier? IIRC One of the older guys on P2S a long time ago bought one of the very small shipping iso containers I think it was no more than 20ft foot long, he did similar as you suggest, painting it, then wax oiling it covered it in a pond liner and buried it into the side of a small mound on his land .

28 October 2014, 22:05,
(28 October 2014, 20:44)NorthernRaider Wrote: Steve what about putting another for or hatch in the top to make hiding it easier? IIRC One of the older guys on P2S a long time ago bought one of the very small shipping iso containers I think it was no more than 20ft foot long, he did similar as you suggest, painting it, then wax oiling it covered it in a pond liner and buried it into the side of a small mound on his land .

That's an option, but it would make it difficult to use as everyday space. I use mine as an office / hobby room, if it was half buried I could still use it for that.
28 October 2014, 22:43,
Makes sense Smile