Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For The Bugging Out People
3 November 2014, 07:42,
RE: For The Bugging Out People
(2 November 2014, 20:00)Shaysdad99 Wrote: Thats a good place to be devonian and currently near major city but plan to be highlands in a remote place

This is exactly what we did Shaysdad99....It is working well for us. So well that the BOL / retreat has to become out permanent residence this year and we now only occasionally go back to civilization!

Answering OP, we can be clear of the city apartment in 10 to 15 minutes.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

3 November 2014, 12:05,
the nearest cities(there are only 2 in Devon) are over an hours drive away on a good day near mind post SHTF and I've got Dartmoor in between me and them, they have to come over or around it, and very few people in the cities have ever heard of this place, tell anyone where I live and the answer is "where?" not that there is anything here for them when they get here, by the time they do the locals have had everythingBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 November 2014, 00:46,
My BOV is always ready.....the trailer is not..............its a big ask to BO when you consider all the preps you are leaving behind .....like many here there is a reluctance to just leave your home, you want to stay and defend your preps and stay in the area you know , the when to go plays heavy, being late could well be your undoing, there is no clear answer , the closest will be ....you have to leave by any means because it is made simple by events local to you........But you have to be ready none the less and need to prep for it, it will not happen over nite.....my trailer would be ready, and i am sure yours would be also, timing is key....your plan is key .....options are key........just look at LS his BOL has become home, he may well have to leave it .....he has a plan for this to i would suspect, and he would get to it ......the when.......that will face us all.......
4 November 2014, 01:23,
(4 November 2014, 00:46)Straight Shooter Wrote: its a big ask to BO when you consider all the preps you are leaving behind .....like many here there is a reluctance to just leave your home, you want to stay and defend your preps and stay in the area you know

That's exactly it, and despite currently not having any real connection with (or interest in) my neighbours, I'm fortunate enough to live in an area where virtually all the properties are privately owned and lived in by the home owners, all of whom work or are retired. It is also easy to block off or control access to the area.

So in a significant societal breakdown I believe that these people would want to do as much as I do, to protect their own properties and hence supplies etc, so I cannot really see them running for the hills, but in such a situation it is always going to be easier and preferable to stay put and try and get everyone organised to protect our small patch, which again has to be better than bugging out.

Obviously I have the advantage of my location which I guess to many others may be seen like being a BOL to start with.
4 November 2014, 05:02,
I think this links back to the main problem every prepper has - when do I go? Basically, what signals that everything is about to go tits up and we need to get out asap?
4 November 2014, 08:28,
I've found the various types of caravan parks to be handy as BOLs, especially those limited to only five vans, though we now intend to bug IN we still actively seek out suitable places that are out of the way and close to running water that we make notes about.

4 November 2014, 09:28,
I view bugging out as Plan B when everything has gone TU and its just not safe to stay here anymore either cos of flooding, fire or general societal collapse, I still reckon if we can sit tight for the first month or 2 after that the die off of the unprepared will be so great we probably wont have to go at all.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 November 2014, 12:03,
It pays to frequently keep visiting your reserve bug out locations, I went to one of mine near Hexham a few weeks ago and someone had built three executive houses on it !!!

4 November 2014, 12:23,
we regularly check our principal BOL, nobody except us has been near it for over 10 years.
5 November 2014, 12:49, (This post was last modified: 5 November 2014, 12:51 by Scythe13.)
We have everything planned that, when we think it appropriate, we'll be going 'camping' to keep an eye on the situation from a safe vantage point. A temporary bug out. After which we plan to come back and stay in place.

However, we are able to bug out within a few minutes. Car always has certain gear in it, so it's a case of grab a couple of bags, load up the dogs, then head out. Because of our location, we are not 'surrounded' in any sense of the word. We have a threat region of 145 degrees, back of the house (this is in the sense of The Hoard) so that's the area where the threat will be coming from.

If people are going from house to house, we'll just need to get away before they hit our road, so observing this would be vital. I'm working on a loft skylight, but the wife's not game for that...yet.

Literally, if there was a group of 10 people going house to house on the street behind us, by the time they got to the second house, we'd either have defenses up, or we'd be in the car heading off.

There is no set time, really. Plus it's hugely situation dependent. If it's an airborne virus problem, we'll not be bugging out. So it's hard to tell.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin