Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boomslang Recon Crossbow
3 November 2014, 16:32,
RE: Boomslang Recon Crossbow
Every disassembly would mean a restringing of the bow, and with a crossbow that can be an issue.

Most folks have a hard enough time cocking them, much less bracing the limb at each use.

I would prefer a system that allowed quick removal and reattachment of the braced limb using a simple thumbscrew, without all the hinges, wedges stops and locking devices.
4 November 2014, 12:59,
Well it seems the Boomslang is a direct copy of the old and apparently very popular, but now discontinued Barnet Delta Crossbow.

The only other folding Crossbow I've been able to find is the MK-180, although this doesn't have the retracting stock, so remains a little longer, but still a nice option and a good price and doesn't seem to have the same issues with the bolts, but I'm still looking into that:

http://www.archerysuppliesdirect.co.uk/p...30Lbs.html

Bit of a YT review here showing how the folding mechanism works

4 November 2014, 14:02, (This post was last modified: 4 November 2014, 14:07 by Tartar Horde.)
The only reason you have to use suppliers bolts is that the crossbow uses Flat Nocks instead of the normal half moon Nocks, simply buy flat Nocks and use them instead of the other ones when you buy bolts. There is absolutely nothing that sets this crossbow apart from others that you can't use your own bolts, as long as they are the right spine and length for the powerstroke of the crossbow. Just buy some heavy duty alloy bolts of E-bay and fit flat nocks, it is as simple as that.

A 12 inch bolt means the crossbow has a very short power stroke and will lose velocity and K.E. very quickly. Best kept under 40yds if you ask me, but perfectly good enough for all small game and birds. Even better if it has an adaptor so you can fit a reel and use fishing bolts.
4 November 2014, 14:32,
Thanks TH I appreciate the feedback Smile
28 November 2014, 22:28,
Well I took delivery of a parcel with the Boomslang Recon Crossbow nicely packed inside of it today and I have to say on first impressions its a nice piece of kit.

The folding mechanism is very neat, no bolts, no fiddling just fold out the prods and the foot stirrup moves up with it all in one motion and clicks into position locking the prods into place and with the bow ready strung, ready for use. So you can go from folded to fully assembled in literally a few seconds.

It all fits nicely and discretely in to the supplied carry bag and takes up a fraction of the space of a conventional crossbow.

With the bolts, as TH stated, they are simply standard bolts just with a flat nock, as per the second version on the image below, so obtaining and/or making additional bolts is not a problem:

[Image: crossbow-arrow-nocks.jpg]

They have a Xmas special at the moment, so got an extra 12 bolts FoC as I also bought the starter kit to go with it.
28 November 2014, 22:52,
Very nice, enjoy yourself, don't forget fox hunting is illegal but no one has said chav hunting is banned yet Smile

29 November 2014, 07:03,
Thanks for the info Devonian very helpful, would really appreciate your impression of its effectiveness once you have had chance to shoot it.
29 November 2014, 10:00,
My feedback from the US suggests its a remake of a Barnett bow and its a superb lightweight sniping device, and nicely compact with it.

29 November 2014, 11:06,
(29 November 2014, 10:00)NorthernRaider Wrote: My feedback from the US suggests its a remake of a Barnett bow and its a superb lightweight sniping device, and nicely compact with it.

Yes as I mentioned earlier its an almost direct copy of the respected, but now discontinued Barnet Delta Crossbow.

(29 November 2014, 07:03)T-oddity Wrote: Thanks for the info Devonian very helpful, would really appreciate your impression of its effectiveness once you have had chance to shoot it.

Yes will do, probably wont be for a week or so, far too powerful to be using in my back garden so I'll need to wait to till I go back down to the woods again, but don't have time this weekend as I have too much work to do Sad
29 November 2014, 11:13,
Dev can go hunting those wild boar from the other thread Smile