Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compound bow advice sought
22 November 2014, 19:20,
RE: Compound bow advice sought
(22 November 2014, 17:23)Sunna Wrote: so tshtf what do you want your bow for to hunt cows ,sheep , horses ,pigs all kept in fields or the tiny amount of deer that live in a tiny part of the uk.

and theirs me thinking we were over the Rambo , hunter , I can live off the land mindset.

go and play with s13 .

(22 November 2014, 18:48)Sunna Wrote: apart from highlander iv never herd of anybody on this site who hunted and killed deer , also highlander used a rifle , youtubed it .

So I guess your prepping is restricted to unemployment and ill health etc?

But most on this site do of course prep for that, but also they prep for more extreme events which may or may not ever happen.

So if NR or anyone else wants to prep for TEOTWAWKI, then good on them, what's the problem with that? I'm sure there are plenty of us who have prepped for this to a greater or lesser extent!

"IF" for example Putin did lose the plot and decided to initiate WW3, then if you survived the initial attacks, you may have no other option than to live off the land.
22 November 2014, 19:27,
yes I do have a more realistic outlook , ill start a thread about this tomorrow .
Survive the jive (youtube )
22 November 2014, 19:33,
The bow is not for me, I want to get the same bow as Spandex has, I already have a cheap Compound and two TDRs, this small bow is for a couple who are sort of half into prepping, half out, sort of dabbling so far, they like camping and outdoorsy stuff but she is in the early stages of MS and sometimes has to rest in a wheelchair but she still wants to try and do a bit of archery. So I thought of a small compound s she can use it from a chair plus because you can have low let offs its easy for her arms to hold. The changeable string bit was for my interest.

22 November 2014, 21:42,
(22 November 2014, 18:48)Sunna Wrote: apart from highlander iv never herd of anybody on this site who hunted and killed deer , also highlander used a rifle , youtubed it .

I have taken several deer over the years with archery tackle. I have had no success this year but I have not been out much. My 72 year old next door neighbor has taken three this fall, using a compound.

Last year so did 21,000 other people in my region, as well as over 100,000 using modern firearms and 16,000 using black powder guns. Over all, the gun shooters have about 10% success rate and archers run less than 5% success.

At that rate, SHTF you can count on success only one time out of every 20-30 trips out the door using your bow and we have a very high deer heard count in my area. The more they are hunted the smarter/more alert they get and late season hunters have very little chance of a kill.
23 November 2014, 13:12,
I agree entirely with your point of view Mort, from an American perspective. Any animals that are hunted regularly become harder to harvest that is a given and works for Fish as well. This is not the position regarding Deer in much of England. I do not mention Scotland as the conditions the Scottish Deer find themselves in is a little bit different to South of the border. I can only speak from experience and say that an awful lot of Deer in England are semi tame in that they have never been hunted for generations and simply do not see man as a predator anymore. The fact is that it can be very easy to get close to Roe Deer and when "calling" them in the rut I have had them walk right up to me, close enough to spear. It doesn't mean that they are stupid though, no way!!
23 November 2014, 13:18,
good info mort , from someone who has done it rather than talk about it.
and this info comes from a part of the world where deer are far more common than in the uk

I would like to know what mort thinks of say a chap in the uk buying a bow to hunt deer with but because of uk law not allowed to do it would fair after tshtf and he is tracking and hunting ,staying downwind ect , for real.
23 November 2014, 13:27,
The thing is Sunna I can't talk about it can I, nor can I prove it, and it's very easy for someone like you to pour scorn on an easy target when they can't respond. To be honest who cares what an American thinks when regarding what goes on in England.
23 November 2014, 13:41,
now don't get , saucey with me mr tartat...Wink
23 November 2014, 13:48,
I think a fair few dear will fall to bow hunters after an event.....and a fair few will be lost as there not successfully tracked and followed up....practicing your field craft and marksmanship is a worthwhile endeavour in readiness.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
23 November 2014, 14:03,
sunna it is against the law in the uk to hunt with a bow ,I didn't say it didn't happen ,now im sure all hunters on here don't go hunting with bows because that would be very naughty ,so people that have cant talk about it do you under stand now?
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!