Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diesel
25 November 2014, 15:32,
RE: Diesel
I am with you there steve, i have two lister d type stationary engines 1934 ...1944 i use these to run a corn grinder i have refurb,ed ....okay i know their petrol but you have to wind them up just the same .......which can be a bind...except when they fire into life.....its great then.
25 November 2014, 15:43,
As late as 1980 when I worked briefly for ICI we had a few three wheel site trucks powered by hand cranked two cylinder Lister diesels driving the front wheel and they have been in service continuously since the 1940s, apart from the occasional oil change and decoke they just went on and on and on. I would love one as a post apoc local hauler.

25 November 2014, 15:45,
i'll make do with a horse and cart thank you very much!!Big GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
25 November 2014, 16:08,
Makes me laugh when on these Apocalypse TV series they come across a car that's been stood for ages and just drive it away.
25 November 2014, 16:18,
Hah like that stupid BBC drama The Last Train ( Where Hadrians walls is further south than the Humber Estuary Smile ) they found a Merc sprinter that had not been ran for however many years they had been frozen and they had it running in an hour.

30 November 2014, 09:10,
Dev: We're running a TD5 here too. (10p variant)

I've had no problem using 5 year old stored diesel, by adding it to a nearly empty tank immediately before full refuel.

I did this immediately before a long journey, so the old fuel was both well diluted, and consumed quickly.

No ill effects whatsoever, and fuel economy remained as per normal.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

30 November 2014, 11:45,
(30 November 2014, 09:10)Lightspeed Wrote: Dev: We're running a TD5 here too. (10p variant)

I've had no problem using 5 year old stored diesel, by adding it to a nearly empty tank immediately before full refuel.

I did this immediately before a long journey, so the old fuel was both well diluted, and consumed quickly.

No ill effects whatsoever, and fuel economy remained as per normal.

Thanks LS, that's good to know for both now and the future.

I'm pretty sure that it will be OK, the Diesel itself looks fine, not cloudy, no growths and all properly stored inside a Nato jerry.

Also the advantage of the Defender is that Land Rover actually de-tune the engines to allow them to cope with lower quality fuel that may be used in third world nations where many of these vehicles still end up.
1 December 2014, 07:48,
Dev wrote: Also the advantage of the Defender is that Land Rover actually de-tune the engines to allow them to cope with lower quality fuel that may be used in third world nations where many of these vehicles still end up.

Exactly Dev. LRs are designed for operating in hostile environments. De-tuned engines mean long service life and an ability to run on non perfect fuel supplies. Of course this robustness comes at the expense of fuel economy.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580