Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fantasist Prepper?
20 June 2015, 13:22,
RE: Fantasist Prepper?
if they "die in the woods" they aren't coming back, are they?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
21 June 2015, 00:00,
(20 June 2015, 13:07)Steve Wrote:
(20 June 2015, 11:14)bigpaul Wrote: there are plenty like that all over the prepper and survival forums, most have never stepped outside of a city but when TSHTF they are all going to bug out and die in the woods !!

Fixed it for you Big Grin

Some of these people are going to be in a worse state than non-preppers. After five days hiding in a bramble bush they'll attempt to return home, to find that their home has been emptied by their neighbours. That's when it hits them that their Tactical Torch isn't worth as much as a Tesco Tin of beans.

The fantasist preppers are those that think they can live in the woods, but have never done it. The real preppers are those that have done it, can do it again, but also have other options available.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
21 June 2015, 03:00,
S13 I fear that there are some here that can not grasp the difference between academics and practical application and still think that acquiring knowledge is acquiring ability!

Or feel that because they have an acquaintance with the facts they have one up on the ignorant.

Fact is that after 55 continuous years of camping I still have an occasional miserable night out, and on occasion due to wet, wind or other circumstance I must resort to use of a road flare to get a fire going.

As you have stated, knowing and doing are separate states of being and that is never more true tan in survival situations and auto repair!

Do I know how the internal combustion engine functions? Absolutely and through all its phases of ignition!

Can I repair an internal combustion engine????

Lets just say I have Monday set aside for an appointment with my mechanic right now.
21 June 2015, 14:32,
Knowledge is useful, and having an acquaintance with the facts does give you an advantage over the ignorant.

Some things aren't easy or even right to practice, some are.

I know how to steal a car, but I'm not going to do it. I know how to catch and cook a squirrel, I have done it.
21 June 2015, 15:21,
(21 June 2015, 14:32)Steve Wrote: Knowledge is useful, and having an acquaintance with the facts does give you an advantage over the ignorant.

Some things aren't easy or even right to practice, some are.

I know how to steal a car, but I'm not going to do it. I know how to catch and cook a squirrel, I have done it.

But most things can be practiced ahead of the need for them. Hotwire your own car. I've done that MANY times when I've forgotten or lost my keys. I know the theory of making a bow, but I've never done it, so don't claim to know how to make a bow. I have zero doubt that it'll be 5 or 6 tries, at the least, until I can make a good working bow. Truth be told, I think it'll probably be closer to 10-15 tries.

The fantasist is the person that thinks they can do these things because they've read about them. The real prepper is the one whose tried what they can, and recognises the VAST CHASM between theory and practice. Let alone the universe wide gap between theory and success.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
21 June 2015, 15:45,
if you follow the instruction's in a manual....you will achieve your goal....somebody skilled and experienced at it will do it quicker and possibly a bit better but eventually using the manual you will arrive at the same point(provided you have a 3d mind...my partner doesn't, she can't visualize and see where the process is heading very well at all) I can fix my car/bike/wiring/fencing and a myriad of other thing's it just takes me longer(much longer in some cases)hence I use professional's or call in favours for these task's....doesn't mean I can't just mean's I don't have time to.....when there are no people available then the reference library of these many skill's will come into play.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
21 June 2015, 16:09,
WHY are we going around in circles ? if your aim is to become superman and cover everything...fit as a gypsies dog....know everything there is to know and master of everything that needs to be mastered ....then leave me out ...i do not know the ins and out of a maggots arse ....the threads thrust was for YOU to question your abilities......and confront any short comings and be HONEST with yourself.......i have loads of short comings and i know it.....just know yours.....if you want to practice any skills you fall short of at present by all means have a go knock yourselves out ! it makes perfect sense .....if you are oldish like me guess what you will not see me running up behind your arse wanting to be first !
21 June 2015, 16:27,
you can hot wire your own car

MONSTER MUNCH TIME.......Wink
Survive the jive (youtube )
21 June 2015, 16:33,
older cars yup but anything with an immobiliser queer's the pitch
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
21 June 2015, 20:46,
OK, here's a really useful skill you can do repeatedly at home at next to no cost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9NqGd7464U

Next ?