Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting Home - Odd thought
2 August 2015, 17:39,
RE: Getting Home - Odd thought
I always carry a GHB ( in all vehicles ) the normal distance that i would be away from my home is a max fifty five miles (thanks for the reminder about boots S13 ) i reckon it would take me four days TBH.....because of where i would have to pass through or around...the other think is meds....i would not have enough ......BUT i will NOW ! say enough for seven days....Obvious i here you say ! well ....something else i have not considered is the truth....i always expect to get home within 75 mins from the fifty five mile run....i will sort this in the morning......i would just about manage from a food point....water i would have enough for a day and a half....the rest i would know where to get it , i would also know why to stay ...sheltered ,warm and dry along the route home.....scouted them out two years since .
3 August 2015, 17:31,
I work 3 miles from home and I have a metal water bottle I keep there. I wear waterproof trail running shoes and 5.11 covert trousers (they look like office attire but are tougher)

However we often have power cuts in our basement office and I don't think I would know if an emp had gone off
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here

3 August 2015, 19:31,
Better question;

What do you do when you get 15 miles down the road, the power company gets all the breakers reset and the grid comes back to life?

A. continue home on foot
B. return to the vehicle

You are making snap judgments based on very few facts and the first one home does not necessarily win.

How do you know it is an EMP.

If it is EMP how wide is the affected area (check you vehicle radio for news, if it was off it should still work, as should your vehicle)

What is the time of day (I am not beginning a 20 mile walk 2 hours before the darkest dark night you have ever known)

I would stay at the farmers market for a while and find out what is actually going on.

Besides, the farmers have food!
4 August 2015, 01:10,
If not a farmer's market, the local pub should suffice for both food and news. I trust that you still have "real ones."

Pity here the nearest "gentleman's club" (to use a polite term for a place frequented by rowdies where scantily clad young ladies with acne and bad teeth serve foul foamy yellowish liquid they call beer here, though I wonder how they manage to get the horse to stand still long enough over the pitcher) is 20 km away on US 11 out near the airbase....

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
4 August 2015, 07:29,
in a power cut the power company will have the power back on in 2-24 hours, in an EMP the power isn't coming back on anytime soon. I will know its an EMP as a power cut wont short out the electrics/electronics in the car whilst I am driving.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 August 2015, 07:58,
Fair question MB.

Simple way to check. Look at your mobile phone (cell phone) and if it's not working, ask someone without a watch for the time…they'll check their phone, try your car out, and if none of that is working, and if nobody else's car is working…then it's not a grid down situation.

For the 15 miles and power's back situation…I'd be half way back, and I'd turn around and go back to the office. Simple reason. The place I work is very rural, so it's going to be nice and quiet. Not much chance of trouble, unless the cows get a little rowdy. Country lanes and the alike….nice and easy.

Having said that, this will only hold true until Friday. We're moving to a new office centre that's potentially a MASSIVE hazard, but also full of opportunity for a prepper! Oh the choices!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin