Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Birch Tar
18 August 2015, 14:28,
Birch Tar
Just a quick post about Birch Tar and production of it.

Would be a very useful thing to know and use.

http://www.practicalprimitive.com/skillo...chtar.html

Enjoy.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
18 August 2015, 14:38,
RE: Birch Tar
that's more like it Scythe. this could come in very handy.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 August 2015, 22:00,
That's useful, a waterproofer we can all make. Good find.
24 August 2015, 18:54,
Birch is such a fantastically versatile tree, and will grow in the harshest of conditions. Sap is drinkable. Bark can be used for all kinds of construction tasks.

Cross-referring to the Ben Fogle thread, if I was that crofting family I'd be devoting the windward side of my 8 acres to planting birch, scots pine and willow. Birch for versatility, scots pine for hardiness and willow for fast-growing firewood.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
25 August 2015, 10:32,
Unless I missed it the article does not mention mixing Birch Tar with crushed Charcoal when using to fix things like arrowheads etc. If you use Birch Tar "neat" it becomes brittle when it hardens, the inclusion of charcoal makes the mixture more like Epoxy and it sets hard but not brittle.
just a tip.
25 August 2015, 10:52,
nice one TH. one can always learn.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 February 2016, 12:50,
Interesting stuff. Pity I can't seem to find any damn birch trees near where I live!
29 February 2016, 17:26,
They are all over the place. I'm surprised you can't find them at all.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
29 February 2016, 18:33,
Got loads of them around here, one within 30ft of where i am sitting right now....my fire starter store !.
1 March 2016, 19:41,
City life guys! might have clocked a few but it's in an urban office area so will have to check them out properly.
I can't wait to move back into the country!