Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bug Out Vehicle of choice
11 January 2012, 04:16,
RE: Bug Out Vehicle of choice
(10 January 2012, 16:10)bigpaul Wrote:
(10 January 2012, 16:03)mikebratcher69 Wrote: I agree with what you say about the roads and motorways, in a way BP's in a priviliged position because a lot of bigger(military) traffic would never fit down some of those lanes so in a way there a line of defence for him.
make sur you fit a winch though, for pulling yourself out of the mud, along with the mud/sand tracks for extracating yourself if you get stuck, people I know actualy managed to get army off road ammo resupply trucks stuck in mud and thats not easyBig Grin I went to check my bol the other day and the ground nearby is knee deep in mud, great for defence but make sure if you plan for your bol, check for nearby deep mud areas or similar vehicle traps.Wink
your quite right Mike, a lot of lanes around here are only 1 vehicle wide, some of them have designated "passing places" they are so narrow! but something i must get it some kind of winch-or at least something to haul me out of a ditch, and some kind of "tank tracks" for use in mud or snow!
BP get a hand winch wont cost alot and can be put in the back of the vehicle
http://www.ldemporium.co.uk/ton-hand-win...p-223.html
you will also need tree strops, snatch blocks, shackles, rope even a groung anchor if there are no anchoring points around.
UKS

11 January 2012, 09:00, (This post was last modified: 11 January 2012, 09:49 by Scythe13.)
(11 January 2012, 04:16)uks Wrote: BP get a hand winch wont cost alot and can be put in the back of the vehicle
you will also need tree strops, snatch blocks, shackles, rope even a groung anchor if there are no anchoring points around.
UKS

That's REALLY cheap!!!

Okay guys, here's a fun bit, why not all pull together and find a way to cheaply build your own customised BOV?

We could even go as far as to standardise a design for people to follow for their own BOV!
I've just had a much better idea.

I'm going to buy an off road buggy already made (the cost of the parts if often more than buying one whole). Then modifying it from there. That way I will have everything ready. There will be my normal car ready to drive, but I will have an off road buggy waiting to be used as well. The modifying process could include modifying the engine for more power. taking away parts to lighten the vehicle so that I can add on things like Jerry cans etc.

The possibilities are endless!!!!

Okay, maybe I'm getting a little carried away. We'll save this project for Summer I think.
11 January 2012, 14:19,
(11 January 2012, 04:16)uks Wrote: BP get a hand winch wont cost alot and can be put in the back of the vehicle
UKS
thanks UKS i think that is what my late ex father in law would call a "block & tackle", good idea, pity its out of stock-cant say i'm surprised at that priceTongue

Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 January 2012, 14:31,
Machine Mart does a similar winch for about £22 inc vat part number 020110545. Made by Clarke has 1250KG capacity

11 January 2012, 16:00,
(11 January 2012, 14:31)NorthernRaider Wrote: has 1250KG capacity

That'll pull my HRV out then, better remember to make the wife get out first though Tongue
11 January 2012, 16:42,
Some B & Qs do the same tool but badged as DRAPER

11 January 2012, 17:30,
never used one before, not sure i would know how, might have to pick a few brains.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 January 2012, 17:32,
(11 January 2012, 17:30)bigpaul Wrote: never used one before, not sure i would know how, might have to pick a few brains.

Dead easy, its just a ratchet turning a couple of pullys.

11 January 2012, 19:08,
When I workedat Land Rover they had a video of a Land Rover pulling itselfup the face of a dam with one of these. Not sure I would have liked being in there when that happened.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
12 February 2012, 14:38,
check this out for a bug out vehicleTongue uk.travel.yahoo.com/p-promo-3362116