Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bug Out Vehicle of choice
24 February 2012, 18:23,
RE: Bug Out Vehicle of choice
My prep is based on staying put, but just in case... I have two, well prepared all-terrain motorcycles... a BMW R1100GS for carrying me and a Honda Transalp, for the wife. This also gives us the option of continuing quickly, should a brake down occur in dangerous territory, because both are properly equipped with emergency gear.

For winching, I use a "turfor" which is a hand-lever operated winch, capable of pulling a 4 tonner up a dam, or uprooting a modest tree.. I wouldn't use electrical winches because of the undesirable effects on battery life due to the high charge-discharge ratio experienced.
Failure to prepare mentally, is preparing to fail totally.
27 June 2012, 08:27,
screw that, i want a feckin airship!!....helium for safety, but carrying chemicals to fill it with hydrogen if its needed, would only need an envelope of 12.6 metres diameter if i could make the whole thing weigh 900kilos when fully loaded, otherwise its easy to scale up, double the volume to lift double the amount, 12.6m diameter sphere holds 1024m^3 or 1million litres and can lift 2318lbs of weight or 918kg, 10million litres can lift 23180lbs or 9180kg, nice n simple!....if filled with hydrogen it would be a bit more explosive but lift an additional 7% (although helium has 4 times the atomic weight of hydrogen it gives 93% of the lift of hydrogen, its a bit counter-intuitive but ive done the math!)

if an airship is out the questions im going for a mountain bike, quick light and powered by an unlimited resource, me. (well once i get in shape that is xDD) or a nice all terrain motorbike
27 June 2012, 08:58,
I like the sound of an airship. Moor it off the coast and be pretty much untouchable. Come in at night to stock up and move on around the coastline.

How much are these to buy then?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
27 June 2012, 09:14,
(27 June 2012, 08:58)Skean Dhude Wrote: I like the sound of an airship. Moor it off the coast and be pretty much untouchable. Come in at night to stock up and move on around the coastline.

How much are these to buy then?

thats the main problem, you'd have to make it xD there arent any commercially available ones that im aware of Tongue....ive been designing one for a while now, its the main reason i got alot of calculations written down and memorised, its a fairly long term project, im aiming to build one for under 20k, nothing too big, but big enough to house and carry 4+ people fairly comfortably, the main allure for me in a survival situation is it gives me access to far more choice of bug out locations, as the gas filled envelope wouldnt need refueling after any set amount of miles you could feasibly "sail" to anywhere you need to go, ive been toying with an upside down sail idea like a sail boat, so that i can still maneauver without needing to periodically land and refuel :~P...the other bonus is that after i land in my final location i wont need to go anywhere else, so ill have a premade house ready will cooking and cleaning and sleeping facilities already ready, making for nice and easy settling in!

although i think you can buy blimps but im not sure how much it costs Tongue
27 June 2012, 11:02,
I like the sound of a Dirigable like the modern Zepplins, they can carry 16 to 20 people plus luggage, they dont use Hydrogen they use helium, cruise at about 80 MPH and as SD points out you could hide offshore for days by just tying up to something like an unmanned oil or gas platform. Would need to be a millionair though.

More realistically microlights, powered hang gliders, hot air balloons etc are all more reralistic options.

27 June 2012, 11:25,
(27 June 2012, 11:02)NorthernRaider Wrote: I like the sound of a Dirigable like the modern Zepplins, they can carry 16 to 20 people plus luggage, they dont use Hydrogen they use helium, cruise at about 80 MPH and as SD points out you could hide offshore for days by just tying up to something like an unmanned oil or gas platform. Would need to be a millionair though.

More realistically microlights, powered hang gliders, hot air balloons etc are all more reralistic options.

thats the thing about using helium, in high purities its ridiculously expensive! which is why (despite obvious explosive risks) im still considering hydrogen Tongue....mind you with modern materials there wouldnt be anywhere near as much of a combustion risk! (i think the hindenburg had lead paint and an aluminium coating, which turned into thermite which is another reason it burned so quickly o.O) also a microlight, hang glider and hot air balloon would all need fuel! and would not be able to carry anywhere near enough fuel to really make it anywhere meaningful Tongue....which is again one of my driving ideas behind an airship (that and i just wanna be an aeronaut and fly around the world trading spices and tobacco, and carrying passengers xD)

with the modern semi rigid and non rigid blimps they have to be overpressured inside which is why they are so big, because the extra pressure means it has reduced lifting capability.....although its still feasible i guess, but yeah you'd probably need alotta dough to make that work Tongue...which would be better spent building a long term bunker

i definately think air travel is a good way to go though, whilst technically harder it has all sorts of advantages depending on what you choose
27 June 2012, 22:52,
Target practice pops into my head for some unfathomable reason!! & lets hope the wind doesn't get up or ur gonna be a lofty non wise man! heehee..
28 June 2012, 13:17,
(27 June 2012, 22:52)Timelord Wrote: Target practice pops into my head for some unfathomable reason!! & lets hope the wind doesn't get up or ur gonna be a lofty non wise man! heehee..

heh caught adrift in the open sky, seems kinda poetic to me
29 June 2012, 12:57,
You not seen the top gear episode where james may flys the caravan/blimp thing? You need one of those!
29 June 2012, 13:25,
Airship is in serious trouble in even moderate winds. Not a good UK choice. Also not terribly subtle, you would be safe up in the air but trying to come in to land to re-supply gremlins could see you coming for miles.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?