Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solkoa Suuma Survuval Kit.
16 January 2016, 14:43,
Solkoa Suuma Survuval Kit.
Promised I'd post about this kit when it arrived from the States. Apparently this one is Seal team six issue- so I was fascinated to seen what it was like. The build of the case alone is superb- see top right of photo. It's machined from a solid aluminium billet so can be used for digging or eating- with the added bonus of making it virtually indestructible. It comes in a fabric bag with a few extras like a landyard, fire starters and plastic bivi bag included. The case lid is sealed with a waterproof gasket.

These are extremely hard to get hold of as they come from the US. After a while of searching the web, the guy I got them from in the end however was extrenemly helpful; Josh Eldred of Precision Rifle supply. He'll do everything he can to help: http://www.precisionriflesupply.com. He had to take a the matches out for shipping though, but they are easy enough to find over here in the UK.

The kit supplied here differs in two respects form the mil-spec one. There are no lock pick tools or handcuff key- but if you are so in the sh*t you need those... you can find them easy enough on the web!

The case itself is approximately the same in size to the deluxe BCB UK standard survival kits that go out to UK squaddies. The contents within are roughly the same as any high end survival kit- with the exception of a Leatherman Scout included. It's pretty impressive- shame we cant do the same for our special forces.

Kind Regards,

Joe.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

16 January 2016, 19:17,
RE: Solkoa Suuma Survuval Kit.
Interesting kit.

Several variations of commercial and military issue survival tins and complete kits are available from Best Glide Aviation Survival Equipment.

http://www.bestglide.com/Survival_Kits.html

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
17 January 2016, 10:15,
looks ok but the real test is to use it .... go out in the countryside with just that and the cloths your stood in and see how you go.

my guess in 24hrs you would be cold wet and hungury .
Survive the jive (youtube )
17 January 2016, 20:48,
I agree Sunna, most important are:

Always wearing adequate clothing for the expected weather. Having a windproof outer layer and a warm when wet insulating layer which can be wrung out, shaken out and put back on, if you get soaked is vital. Wool still works here!

Your kit should always have an extra warming layer, anorak or poncho, hat, gloves and extra dry socks in waterproof Alosak bag. Having extra dry clothing can be life saving in terms of conserving heat and keeping hands working to get fire.

Always carrying adequate, well proven EDC tools with you with which you have developed skill in using and confidence in from daily use is a great help.

Having "bomb proof" reliable fire starting kit which can be executed with cold hands is a life saver. Vaseline-Cotton Balls, a BIC lighter and ferro rod are primary. A hatchet or froe to make shavings and reduce wet wood to find kindling. Large contractor twist type pencil sharpener to make lots of shavings from smaller sticks.

Road flare is the OMG~! Cannot fail fire option.

A headlamp which burns at least 12 hours on one set of batteries for hands-free lighting to walk out or build a shelter, tend the fire.

Basic signals, whistle, torch, signal mirror, VS17 panel.

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
17 January 2016, 20:56,
The fire building test test they used to do out at Camp Darby. They put every size of wood that a person would need to build a fire in a 5 gallon bucket and filled it with water. Tent peg and broom sticks up to cricket bat sized timber which had sat in there for easily 5-6 hours. Could have been more depending on what we had to do that first night. Rain or shine and no matter the temp we had the project. I carried a KBar back then, picture that in your minds eye, if raining my Batman and I would start batoning the thick stuff while Taco set up his parachute shelter over us. It sucked but we were young and hard and wanted to prove ourselves. We would split that timber down as small as we could get it. Match stick size was the best for getting it going. Some times we would have to cheat and go fine some pine lighter knot. Usually that would happen when Master Chief would use all pine and no oak in the bucket. Fire is fire no matter how you get it going. By the way that KBar has split more wood and opened more ammo and ration cans than Obama has golf balls. That is no embellishment either.

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
19 January 2016, 21:09,
Brick  RE: Solkoa Suuma Survuval Kit.
These kits a fucking hilarious! People spend a pretty penny on what is essentially very cheap crap in a nice box.

Seal team 6 issue?!
Hahahahahahaha, I think sir that you are a victim of marketing here...
19 January 2016, 21:11,
Holy fuck, you wasted $157! That's impressive.

I've got an authentic SBS sniper E&E kit going for a mere £95.

Paypal me bro, it's yours. You're gonna love it!!
21 January 2016, 12:12,
BM, Does that include the Barrett?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
21 January 2016, 17:37,
I've yet to see a commercially available ready made kit that gives good value , you really should construct your own , mean's everything in it will be of use to you and of decent quality,even kits issued to aircrew,special forces get trimmed/added too ,customised, back in the day it was mess tin's or bandy tin's now there are many off the shelf options for a receptacle.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
21 January 2016, 17:38,
Baccy tin's lol not bandy!
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!