Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brexit
29 May 2016, 11:27,
RE: Brexit
Similar issues at the huge Centre Parcs complex at Penrith, When that opened it created desperately needed jobs in that area Kendal, Penrith, Brough, Kirkby Stephen, Barnard Castle, Appleby, It employed huge numbers of local British youngsters in an area DESPERATE for jobs for youngsters, Bar and Restaurant staff, Cleaners, Gardeners, Multiple types of Coaching staff, Life guards, swimming coaches, Riding Instructors, Admin, Managers, Guides, Shop staff etc, many of the job were again taken by students funding their way through Lancaster Uni, Durham Uni, Newcastle etc. NOW thanks to the EU most of the staff are foreign now brought in by bus from digs in Carlisle and Preston. Silence from Tories and Labour, delight by the diversity adoring Lib Dems !!!

29 May 2016, 11:34,
(29 May 2016, 11:04)NorthernRaider Wrote: I stand corrected Barney, my bad I should have checked my facts more.

I should have said WILSON closed more pits than Thatcher.

Wilson 235 Thatcher 115

Yeah Wilson was a strange one
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
29 May 2016, 11:40,
I can remember,the power going out in London a lot when I was a kid ,I was watching the TVs ,King Kong was on ,the black and white film half way through the power went out again ,I was very pissed off
29 May 2016, 12:16,
Your younger than me Barney, I remember power cuts, brown outs, flying pickets, work to rules, three days weeks, riots, coal, flour, sugar etc shortages, uncollected rubbish piled higher than my head, dead left unburied for weeks, council services closed, walk outs from shipyards, car plants, coal mines, news papers, council depots, dock yards etc almost weekly.

In the seventies the left was to far to the left and living in the past, but the right was swinging to far to the right with no consideration for heritage or community cohesion. Twas a dreadful time.

29 May 2016, 12:20,
Y'know the main thing I do remember and I admired them for it was the OLD labour party and 90% of the Trade Unions being totally against us being in the EU, I remember listening to warning from polar opposites like Enoch Powell and Tony Benn both warning of dire consequences to jobs, security, sovereignty and culture if we stayed in the EEC as it was then.

Its amazing what a Knighthood or EU Commisioners job offer can do to a supposed patriotic Tory or Labour Politician as Prescott and Kinnock can testify to and what Cameron is after.

29 May 2016, 12:56,
(29 May 2016, 12:16)NorthernRaider Wrote: Your younger than me Barney, I remember power cuts, brown outs, flying pickets, work to rules, three days weeks, riots, coal, flour, sugar etc shortages, uncollected rubbish piled higher than my head, dead left unburied for weeks, council services closed, walk outs from shipyards, car plants, coal mines, news papers, council depots, dock yards etc almost weekly.

In the seventies the left was to far to the left and living in the past, but the right was swinging to far to the right with no consideration for heritage or community cohesion. Twas a dreadful time.

Yeah the rubbish in the streets ,rats and shit every were ,the piles were 10ft tall
29 May 2016, 13:33,
Sounds like Brighton today Smile

29 May 2016, 13:38,
(29 May 2016, 13:33)NorthernRaider Wrote: Sounds like Brighton today Smile

It was South London ,tooting ,a Right shit hole then ,it's a lot worse now pal
29 May 2016, 13:55,
Yer should see Teesside mate, looks like a scene from World War Z.

29 May 2016, 14:29,
Just old enough to remember the piled up rubbish, the green goddess army fire trucks, and the regular power cuts, and coupled with a foot of winter snow, but in all of this chaos the schools never closed, unlike today when a light dusting causing a mass shut down.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.